Author Topic: Why cant i get a copy of FFL in WA??  (Read 536 times)

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Why cant i get a copy of FFL in WA??
« on: November 18, 2007, 07:22:11 PM »
I have tried many times in the state of WA to get a copy of an FFL and all times i have failed. I recall a thread awhile back that discussed this subject i just don't recall what it entailed. Of course i would never want to break any laws but every time I tried and they insist on faxing it (the copy of the FFL) from an FFL to an FFL. Not like receiving a copy of the FFL from private citizens  in other states. And yet every person i have talk to says it is very easy to do. Am i missing something????

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Why cant i get a copy of FFL in WA??
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 07:29:41 PM »
My FFL will not send or fax a copy of her license to a non-licensee, any licensee that does isn't very smart, IMO.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:55:28 AM »
That is all just personal preference and each FFL holder makes that decision. I have about 50 copies of different FFL's. 99% of the guns I have sold, I mail to the persons FFL from UPS.  That is why I don't sell guns here at Graybeard, I am not going to pay my FFL here to mail out any of my guns that I can do myself legally through UPS. I save about $10.00 to $15.00 per transaction. The reason I want there FFL is so I knew the gun I am sending is going to the actual FFL's business. I also put a copy of the FFL in the package I send. I also call the receiving FFL.
But as far as the FFL, there is not a thing you can do with it, it has there business address attached to it. Unlike quickdtoo I don't see a thing wrong with an FFL sending a copy of his FFL to a private citizens. But like I said, it is each FFL holders policy and decision to send or not to send to a private citizen.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 05:35:29 AM »
I think it has to do with the relationship you have with the FFL holder also.  The fellow I deal with all the time has often provided me with signed copies of his FFL to carry with me.  I travel quite a bit and if I find "that thing I am looking for" at a distant gunshop it makes the purchase much easier in that I just give them the copy of the FFL pay them and they ship it out to my FFL holder.  The advantage of this is if it is a time when my FFL holder is closed then the other person may not be willing to fool with the hassle of getting up with my FFL holder and making arrangements to get a copy.  I doubt though that my FFL holder would give a copy of his license to just anyone but over the years I have bought dozens of guns from him over the past 15 or so years.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 05:40:08 AM »
With the ATF's Ez-Check website, there's no need for a copy of the license to verify the address and validity of the receiving dealer license, that's why it was created!! ::)

Tim

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 05:48:58 AM »
Makes little difference who sends the FFL, the firearm has to be sent to address on the FFL, therefore, the gun will go to the individual who possesses the FFL for his (their) processing.  Each year, my FFL provides me with a copy which I scan and save on Desktop, when I order a firearm I simply have to attach it to the e-mail I send the seller.  I have only run across one individual that would not accept it that way, he had to have a signed copy in "Blue" ink sent to him, but after some checking I found he had some problems with the law and was afraid he was still being watched so he didn't want to do anything that might be questionable.

Offline superdown

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 06:56:17 AM »
The information provided has been very help full thank you. Tim the numbers #'s  needed in FFL search are those easily obtained from said FFL ?       thanks , Justin

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 07:37:48 AM »
My FFL gave me the numbers, shouldn't be a problem with any dealer, they don't need to provide the entire number. The site will provide the licensee's name, license expiration date, their trade name, premise address and mailing address, as well as the following warning:

NOTE: In the event all of the information on the license you are verifying does not match the information displayed above, or if the license has expired, there is a possibility that this may be an attempt at a fraudulent transaction. You should not complete the transaction without first contacting ATF at 1-877-560-2435 for assistance.

The data obtained from this site is not a substitute for a certified copy of the license.

Tim

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 09:09:56 AM »
With the ATF's Ez-Check website, there's no need for a copy of the license to verify the address and validity of the receiving dealer license, that's why it was created!! ::)

Tim

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Tell that to an FFL, they want are hard copy either faxed or mailed.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA