Author Topic: Hunting with my son  (Read 384 times)

Offline mgeorge

• Trade Count: (0)
Hunting with my son
« on: November 19, 2007, 09:48:28 AM »
Okay, this certainly isn't a bragging post... no bucks were injured in the creation of these events.  Unfortunately...

However, I was out in the field on Saturday with my 8-1/2 year old son, hunting deer with my USHD.  He was in a part of the blind where he couldn't see the whole field, but he wanted to be there to hunt with me anyhow.  Well, after a morning of seeing deer run back and forth in the trees and brush, and being "made" by one doe who did the nose-blow thing, I finally had a shot come up.

A deer came out of the trees and brush and into the field at about 90yds.  She immediately turned and trotted away from us.  I gave a little bleat in a half-hearted attempt to get her to at least turn broadside.  Well, she didn't.  She turned right at us and started trotting in.  She got back to about 90yds. and stood there facing us.  I put the crosshairs on her and waited (I did a front-on shot on a doe last year and it didn't work so well).

Then she took a step and turned broadside.  I fired and she jumped, ran, doubled back and dropped, all in about 5 seconds.  When I fired, two more deer came out of the brush that I didn't know where there.  My son didn't see them and stood up to see the deer that I shot.  I hollered "Sit down, there's more!" and he sat down.  I reloaded and one of the others had stopped when it heard me tell him to sit.  It stood broadside to me and I put a round through her lungs, too.  There was a third, but it wasn't sticking around to see what happened next...

Anyway, my son was pretty jazzed up.  2 shots, 2 dead deer.  The first kills he'd seen. :)

Did I mention that I love the accuracy of that USHD?  I've had it for about 4 years now and it's almost a guaranteed 1shot/1 kill...

Anyway, I just thought I'd share that with the crowd...  :)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Hunting with my son
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 05:00:24 PM »
Congratulations! 12 or 20? Bullet? You need to get that youngster a better seat.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline mgeorge

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:41:55 AM »
Congratulations! 12 or 20? Bullet? You need to get that youngster a better seat.

Thanks!  I use a 12ga., firing Remington 3" Copper Solids.  You're right, I'm going to find him a better place to sit in blind.  It's a natural blind with live trees, so it's a bit tougher than just opening a zipper... :)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 08:18:09 AM »
Great story!  Think of the young mans excitement when he tells his buddy's.  That experience will forever be embedded in him. 

After all the years of hunting, I still get excited looking down the barrel at a squirrel.  After the first deer, I'm not sure I would have been able to calm myself enough for a second.   Well done and congratulations.

Offline mgeorge

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 10:20:26 AM »
Great story!  Think of the young mans excitement when he tells his buddy's.  That experience will forever be embedded in him. 

After all the years of hunting, I still get excited looking down the barrel at a squirrel.  After the first deer, I'm not sure I would have been able to calm myself enough for a second.   Well done and congratulations.

I'm hoping I can do the same thing this coming weekend, but with buck and a doe :)

It also gives me a good comeback for the Single-Shot-Scoffers:
"I guess that's nice and all, but sometimes you need a quick follow up shot.  A pump/auto is better."
"Oh, I dunno... I had 2 deer at 80-90yds away and about 75deg. angle between them and I got them both with my single shot.  It's just a matter of knowing your arm and trusting that it is accurate."