Author Topic: Beginner Question on Field dressing/skinning a buck  (Read 756 times)

Offline armycar01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Beginner Question on Field dressing/skinning a buck
« on: November 19, 2007, 04:37:23 PM »
Hey guys,

Over the past 2 years I have killed 3 does...I started out on my own without much help and didnt get to go as much as I'd like, but this year I'm actually getting to hunt about everyday during rifle season.  I'm able to dress, skin, etc. those does, but the question I have is what do I need to do different in the event that I get a buck, concerning the extra anatomy they have as compared to the does? 

The first two I gave away to the people that helped show me how to dress the deer, but this third one I got last weekend, being able to do it on my own, every step from the shot to slicing my own tenderloin steaks and having them for supper was one of the most rewarding experiences I have had in a long time.  I just want to know what to do if I can top that by having a set of antlers to go along with!

Thanks, I truly do aprreciate it
David

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Beginner Question on Field dressing/skinning a buck
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:04:39 PM »
Well, you're 99% there.  Just grab the "boy parts" and cut around them and remove.  From there, no difference.
Now if it's private land, hang them in a tree nearby.  On public land, we toss them as far away from the gut pile as we can  :D

Glad to hear of your success and the hand's on utilization of the deer. Good luck on that buck!
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 01:54:48 AM »
Congrats armycar on the success from field to table.  I'm 24 and I didn't grow up hunting / shooting.  I've been into guns and shooting for a couple of years and this year is my first year hunting.  I bagged a small buck over the weekend and hope to get a couple does before season is out.  I field dressed the deer on my own from reading all kinds of stuff on the internet.  I'm sure I'll get better at it but I guess I didn't do too bad.  Does anyone know of a good video online that shows in detail the dressing process?  That would be extremely helpful.

I know a guy that can skin and butcher the entire deer like you're speaking of.  Sometime soon, he's going to teach me to do it as well.  I can't wait to experience the satisfaction like you said of being able to shoot the deer and do everything it takes on your own to bring it to the table.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 02:45:40 AM »
Does anyone know of a good video online that shows in detail the dressing process?  That would be extremely helpful.

XD9,
    Click the link below, this video (DVD) will show you step by step to field dress and completely butcher your deer.
Don't pay someone else, it's more rewarding to do it yourself and you don't have to worry about a butcher skimming off the top of your deer meat.  -six_gunz
http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Game-Processing-Deer-Butchering/dp/B0001LASF0/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1195565928&sr=1-2
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 03:32:00 AM »
Thanks six_gunz!  Just bought the DVD from the maker's web site for $15 total!  Looking forward to getting it.

Offline XD9

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 11:35:28 AM »
Hey six_gunz...got the DVD yesterday and started watching it some today.  It's really good.  The camera angles are great and they really explain every step of the butchering process.  Thanks for the recommendation!

For anyone else reading and interested, this DVD is well worth the $15.  I read on their site that they have an updated version coming out soon with even better camera angles but I couldn't find where to buy it.

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 10:00:47 PM »
No problem, glad I could help you out. I thought you'd like it. It's a great way to learn how to butcher your deer without paying someone else. I bought this DVD a few years back myself.
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"