Author Topic: Fred doesn't just talk the talk, he walks the walk  (Read 1846 times)

Offline muskeg13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Fred doesn't just talk the talk, he walks the walk
« on: November 22, 2007, 10:13:24 AM »
Fred Thompson will spend another Saturday walking the aisles of a gun show, this time in SC.  Unlike Rudy Giuliani or Mitt Romney who support draconian gun laws in some places but not in others, Fred has stated several times this week that the Second Amendment means exactly what it says and applies equally everywhere in this nation. 

From the Tuscaloosa News:
"Thompson aiming at Romney, Giuliani with trip to S.C. gun show"
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/article/20071122/APP/711220694&source=RSS

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Fred doesn't just talk the talk, he walks the walk
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 04:02:56 PM »
 Sure the GOA is going to slam him, they endorse Ron Paul.  ::)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »
Sure the GOA is going to slam him, they endorse Ron Paul.  ::)

Is it Ron Paul or Ron Paulette
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline jhm

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 04:47:25 AM »
I like what I see in Fred, however I was disapointed that he didnt attend the largest Gunshow around in Tulsa in Oct.  But with that said until it gets a little closer to who gets the nod from the party I will still be throwing my support Freds way.   JIM

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 07:08:45 PM »
Fred has my support 100%. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 01:35:47 PM »
"It's a beautiful day in paradise," said former Senator Fred Thompson as he walked through the aisles of the Land of the Sky gun show today in North Charleston, SC.

Get the whole story and see all of the photos at:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1930014/posts

or

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071124/ap_po/thompson_gun_show_2

Offline nw_hunter

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 07:00:47 PM »

Old pro gun Thompson huh? Walks the Walk?

Making appearances at gun shows don't mean a  thing.
Just spells smart politics!

Senator Thompson voted pro-gun 19 times and anti-gun 14 times. Three of the votes counted as anti-gun were for the McCain-Feingold Campaign Reform Act.

Additionally, Thompson voted for the Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban, which restricts ownership and use of guns or ammunition by individuals convicted of misdemeanor or felony domestic violence. (That law is down right scary folks) Thompson voted against the Smith "Anti-Brady" Amendment which would have prohibited the FBI from using Brady background checks to tax or register gun owners.(Old Pro Gun Tommy again!) Thompson sounds just like Senor Boosh, when he campaigned! What has King George done for the gun owner lately?
(NADA) And Fred would experience the same brain fart if elected.

Look at Ron Paul's record in the House on gun issues. Those votes speak volumes!
Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 05:18:42 AM »
How many gun shows was he at BEFORE his camapin Lmao... Some people will fall the  Oldest tricks in the book. During Election years, Most all candidates Love guns, Minorities, gays etc.. It's a PLOY, but the Sheeple will follow.

The VOTING RECORD tell the TRUTH. The Lies to get votes do Not, Ever.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 06:53:02 AM »
You know its kinda funny those here that support others say nothing against RP except that we do not think he has a chance. On the other hand those that support RP here do every thing in their power to run our candidates into the mud. That pretty much shows me what caliber you folks are!  ::) Thompson must really scare you folks and you must figure Thompson will scuttle RP's campaign.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 06:59:22 AM »
Trust me... if you Had Dirt on RP.. if ANYONE had Dirt on him, you Would use it. You choose to back a candidate with Lots of dirt, a Bad voting record etc. you have to Expect to defend him from open minded educated people that can see the light. I know very little about Fred, except his Voting record, and that was enough for me to Run. If you can't stand a public debate... Don't enter into one. ~Ace~

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 07:38:13 AM »
No ace I would not stoop to you and Fazaks level. I have seen plenty of RP I do not like but do not feel the need to air it here others have and to me it is a moot point anyway as I feel he cannot win but I do not bash him for it.

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 08:05:18 AM »
Since when did giving an account of ones voting record count as running him down? The facts speak for themselves.
I like what Pat Buchanan said , when asked why he quit the Republican Party. He said....I never left the Party. It left me!
I feel the same way. I have never voted for a Liberal Democrat. I voted for G. Bush (twice), and should have just stayed at home on election day! I didn't think anyone could be worse than Billy Jeff. "Boy was I wrong" Truth is! We are going down the tubes if we don't put an end to this (One) party system. I do believe at one time we had two parties. Now there are as many Liberals in the GOP as the Donkey party.

Ron Paul in all probability doesn't have a chance. If we are to survive as a Free Republic, He, or someone like him is the only chance we have!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 01:27:41 PM »

If there is any question of where anyone stands on our 2nd amendment rights , go to  <  www.ontheissues.org/default.htm  >  you will get the facts on each of them .

Just a quick perusal found all the Republicans basically gun friendly; with most very supportive..e.g. Duncan hunter, Mike Huckabee, Ron Paul, John McCain etc , standing strong.
  Looking at Democrats...Biden, Clinton, Dodd, & Kucinich were right out of the Hitler/Mao book on gun grabbing ... Edwards was somewhat milder, while Richardson could pass for a big city Republican on the same subject.

I have trouble understanding why GOA would pick an endorsement so early..especially when some other Republicans are just as strong if not more so on the 2nd amendment as RP.

When asked about the 2nd amendment, Duncan Hunter replied;

"Regarding the second amendment; I thoroughly enjoy hunting, having just recently spent a weekend Elk hunting in Arizona. But the second amendment is not about hunting; it is about the right of you and me to be secure in our homes . We must vigorously defend against all attempts to chip away at the second amendment."

When asked about "gun show loopholes", Hunter said the term is just another way the liberals try to chip away at gun rights !

Mike Huckabee;

....Has his own CC permit, regularly goes hunting and is known as a proficient shooter.

Huckabee was recently endorsed by the "Gun Owners of South Carolina" organization.
  Rick David, Pres of the GO of SC said in speaking of his long acquaintance and associations with Huckabee;
        " Friends;..Mike Huckabee is the "real Deal" "....Then he went on to explain how Mike is a strong sportsman & a strong defender of the 2nd amendment..

If you go to the website I proffered above, you will find John McCain very strong on gun rights as are others...
    How GOA could endorse this early is a mystery to me ..unless they have some other issue than gun/hunting rights on their agenda..

Alan Keyes is, in my estimation,probably closest to correct on all issues as  see them, including 2nd amendment..but I must admit to myself that he is a very long shot !!
   Still; if he can't get the job..or the nomination..I won't pick up my marbles and go home..in a pout !
    I will vote for someone who will show more respect for gun rights, personal liberty, my tax bill and my faith than any Democrat they are likely to put up...

To do any less would be dereliction..(IMO)
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 06:07:46 AM »

Ironglow! You said......
Just a quick perusal found all the Republicans basically gun friendly; with most very supportive..e.g. Duncan hunter, Mike Huckabee, Ron Paul, John McCain etc , standing strong.
  Looking at Democrats...Biden, Clinton, Dodd, & Kucinich were right out of the Hitler/Mao book on gun grabbing ... Edwards was somewhat milder, while Richardson could pass for a big city Republican on the same subject.

I have trouble understanding why GOA would pick an endorsement so early..especially when some other Republicans are just as strong if not more so on the 2nd amendment as RP.

I don't have time at this moment to rundown all the others, but to say John McCain is gun friendly, is like saying Hillary C. could be the next Miss America!!

If you had done the research, you would have discovered this.........McCain Gun Show Ban. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) offered a gun show amendment (to S. 1805) on March 2, 2004. His language would outlaw the private sale of firearms at gun shows, unless the buyer agrees to submit to a background registration check. Also, it could effectively eliminate gun shows because every member of an organization sponsoring a gun show could be imprisoned if the organization fails to notify each and every "person who attends the special firearms event of the requirements [under the Brady Law]." Thus, if the person responsible for handing out "Brady pamphlets" took a break to go to the bathroom, everyone responsible for the event could be sent to prison. The McCain amendment passed the Senate by a vote of 53-47. (Oh Yea) Old John is a friend to the gun owner! I remember after losing to Bush in the Primary, he came here to Oregon to lobby for our gun grabbers. Of the people you mentioned, ony R Paul and Duncan H. have a good rating as a supporter of the 2nd.

Here is how the GOA rated Mr McCain

2000     C-
2002     C-
2004.....F-
2006     F-
PRO GUN HUH? ::)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 07:20:36 AM »
What one should really say is; Ole Fred doesn't just talk the talk, he walks the walk, "IF YOU PAY THE BEST". Ignore the truth and support the loser.
I had rather LOSE WITH AS WINNER, than WIN WITH A LOSER.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 01:48:41 PM »
  NW Hunter;

Don't know where you got your info..mine was from the previously cited  <  www.ontheissues.org/default.htm  >

That website keeps track of how the various representatives voted on many important issues ..

According to the score he voted correctly on all the gun votes ( 17 of them)..there was one that was not clear..

he did vote "NO" on background checks at gun shows !  ..and voted "YES" on the measure to relax liscencing & Background checks at gun shows..( May 1999 ).

Check that record against ANY of the Democrats..and a couple of the Republicans !

Not saying McCain is my choice...just wondering how GOA could choose this early, if their agenda is purely "gun owner's rights"..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 02:52:51 PM »
Fred Thompson on Gun Control
Former Republican Senator (TN)

Strongly supports the Second Amendment
I strongly support the Second Amendment of the Constitution, which protects an individual's right to keep and bear arms. Gun control is touted as a major crime-control measure. But some of the places with the strictest gun-control laws also have high violent-crime rates. Disarming law-abiding citizens does not prevent crime. The answer to violent crime is smart, effective, and aggressive law enforcement. The real effect of these gun-control measures is to place onerous restrictions on law-abiding citizens who use firearms for such legal activities as self-defense, sport-shooting, hunting, and collecting. I am committed to:
Strictly enforcing existing laws and severely punishing violent criminals.
Protecting the rights individual Americans enjoy under the Second Amendment.
Source: Campaign website, www.Fred08.com, "Issues" Sep 20, 2007

Allowing concealed carry could have limited VA Tech massacre
How is it that one man with two handguns could reload time & time again, and go from classroom to classroom on the Virginia Tech campus without being stopped. Much of the answer can be found in policies put in place by the university itself.
Virginia allows citizens with training and legal permits to carry concealed weapons. That means that Virginians regularly sit in movie theaters and eat in restaurants among armed citizens.

The statistics are clear. Communities that recognize and grant Second Amendment rights to responsible adults have a significantly lower incidence of violent crime than those that do not. Incarcerated criminals tell criminologists that they consider local gun laws when they decide what sort of crime they will commit, and where they will do so.

But Virginia Tech administrators overrode Virginia state law and threatened to expel or fire anybody who brings a weapon onto campus. Those "Gun-free Zone" signs don't mean much to the sort of man who murdered 32 people.

Source: Thompson's blog on ABCradio.com, "Signs of Intelligence?" Apr 19, 2007

Having handguns in your home is a Constitutional right
Q: Let's do a lightning round to see where you stand. Gun control.
A: Well, I'm against gun control generally. You know, you check my record. You'll find I'm pretty consistent on that issue.

Q: So you'd be perfectly happy to have people have handguns in their homes?

A: Yes. Absolutely. The court basically said the Constitution means what it says, and I agree with that.

Source: Fox News Sunday, 2007 presidential candidate interviews Mar 11, 2007

Voted NO on background checks at gun shows.
Require background checks on all firearm sales at gun shows.
Reference: Lautenberg Amdt #362; Bill S. 254 ; vote number 1999-134 on May 20, 1999

Voted NO on more penalties for gun & drug violations.
The Hatch amdt would increase mandatory penalties for the illegal transfer or use of firearms, fund additional drug case prosecutors, and require background check on purchasers at gun shows. [A YES vote supports stricter penalties].
Reference: Hatch Amendment #344; Bill S. 254 ; vote number 1999-118 on May 14, 1999

Voted YES on loosening license & background checks at gun shows.
Vote to table or kill a motion to require that all gun sales at gun shows be completed by federally licensed gun dealers. Also requires background checks to be completed on buyers and requires gun show promoters to register with the Treasury.
Reference: Bill S.254 ; vote number 1999-111 on May 11, 1999

Voted YES on maintaining current law: guns sold without trigger locks.
Vote to table [kill] an amendment to make it unlawful for gun dealers to sell handguns without providing trigger locks. Violation of the law would result in civil penalties, such as suspension or revocation of the dealer's license, or a fine.
Reference: Bill S 2260 ; vote number 1998-216 on Jul 21, 1998

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 08:35:22 PM »
  NW Hunter;

Don't know where you got your info..mine was from the previously cited  <  www.ontheissues.org/default.htm  >

That website keeps track of how the various representatives voted on many important issues ..

According to the score he voted correctly on all the gun votes ( 17 of them)..there was one that was not clear..

he did vote "NO" on background checks at gun shows !  ..and voted "YES" on the measure to relax licensing & Background checks at gun shows..( May 1999 ).

Check that record against ANY of the Democrats..and a couple of the Republicans !

Not saying McCain is my choice...just wondering how GOA could choose this early, if their agenda is purely "gun owner's rights"..

I get my info from several Conservative sites on the Internet. Numbers USA is one, JBS, Lew Rockwell.com, GOA, I gave up on the NRA. Too many Liberals have infiltrated them over the years. It's really easy to check out the way present and former Sen. and Reps. vote. It's one thing they can't hide.
  Ironglow
You and I have seen out Constitutional rights slip away at an alarming rate under Republican and Democrats alike.
I have voted Republican for the last four elections as a lesser of two evil choice.
Nothing has changed for the better. They all make their personal appearances at Gun shows, County fairs, kiss the baby's, and feed the poor in homeless shelters, even go afield to show how much they are like you and me. They do these photo and video ops  every time they run for office. After  elected, they vote to take away more of our precious freedoms. Just like their Democrat cronies do. I think you and I want the same thing! To see our country returned to its former greatness, and back to the basic rights our Forefathers fought and died to give us. We just  see the way to do that a little differently.

One thing we still have in this Republic, and that's the right to vote for the person we think is right for the country, or the right to stay home, if we don't see one at all! I believe Ron Paul is that man, and I don't see anyone else running that would make a good Pres. Like I said! JMO and you are entitled to yours.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on to them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 02:06:16 AM »
NW hunter;

i did some checking on McCain and found that he has a couple flaws as to gun issues:

#1) McCain-Feingold...wrong, for more than just gun owners.

#2) He did want restrictive rules for gun show attendees.

I was simply pointing out that almost any Republican is miles ahead of any Democrat on the subject..

In some ways you puzzle me by saying that you have voted for Republicans in the last four elections and are disgusted with the Republicans...fair enough !

...But then, you go ahead and endorse another Republican..Ron Paul, for prez...

Perhaps Ron Paul needs to show a bit more political candor and run as the Libertarian he is !  .... Just my $.02   .

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 12:51:16 PM »
Well! Your right Tm7. They are CINO Conservative in name only. The Republican party has abandoned the Conservatives, and have became more Liberal as time goes on. Ron Paul represents true Conservative, small Government Republicans.
 Even our once staunch Conservative religious leaders have abandoned us. Can you believe Pat Robertson? He is endorsing a gun grabbing, pro-abortion, pervert loving Liberal , Rudy Giuliani for Pres. This is only one example of how far down the slippery slope we have traveled. We can't afford to keep electing people that are only slightly better than another to these important offices. We need men (Patriots like R. Paul ) to get us back on track. I guess we could just give up and learn to speak Spanish (Mexican) or Arabic. I prefer to keep American English as my language of choice!
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on to them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »
Patriots are not afraid to fight when they should, I am not sure that characteristic fits RP. I am not in reference to Irac, I am not sure he could lead us in a war effort, if a war was truly called for. Seems wimpy to me, sorry. 

Offline Dee

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 02:41:32 AM »
Perhaps if Mr. Paul took up boxing, and chewing tobacco, he would seem, more manly. Cussing would add to that. Hmmmmmmm.
Good grief!
I once knew a man that all wondered why on earth he chose to be a Police officer. He was quite, slight of build, and did not look healthy. I my self wondered.
One night an illegal came at him, with pistol ALREADY in hand, and in front of dozens of young people this "WIMPY" officer put four rounds (out of a 357 mag. revolver) thru the chest, and the assailant was dead before he hit the ground.
MY POINT and a lesson "I" learned that night? The biggest and the loudest, is not always the TUFFEST.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 03:06:55 AM »
Perhaps if Mr. Paul took up boxing, and chewing tobacco, he would seem, more manly. Cussing would add to that. Hmmmmmmm.
Good grief!
I once knew a man that all wondered why on earth he chose to be a Police officer. He was quite, slight of build, and did not look healthy. I my self wondered.
One night an illegal came at him, with pistol ALREADY in hand, and in front of dozens of young people this "WIMPY" officer put four rounds (out of a 357 mag. revolver) thru the chest, and the assailant was dead before he hit the ground.
MY POINT and a lesson "I" learned that night? The biggest and the loudest, is not always the TUFFEST.

Not many Men over 60 years old would last long in a ring anyway, that was not exactly what I was talking about.

I have seen surprises as well. He may be more than he appears as well. He just appears to be a Lib. Libertarian to me. He gives a wimpy impression in my view because he will not take a stand on some moral issues. By saying the States should deal with it (whether true or not) I am afraid is his way of avoiding the issues entirely. I would rather see a man who can say something is wrong or right without avoiding the issues. The other candidates have problems with this too, although Duncan Hunter & Tancredo are better to me at least.
Unfortunately, we cannot see how any Pres. would do in a crisis situation until they are elected, so we have to make a judgement call. On some of this we have to go with our "gut" & my gut feeling is he would not cut it. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 03:12:02 AM »
I will admit to not following Mr Paul's career but have listened to ya'll for some time at first he appeared meek and i remarked as to that before . Since i have learned that though he has spent many terms in Washington and run as both rep. and indp. he has not changed his stand . I feel to be that committed in the arena he has worked those many years shows an intestinal fortitude few could muster ( or have mustered ) .
No , one must be willing to go to the mat when they Gamble with a man that always shoots one gun and never raises his voice for both are indicators of strength and knowledge .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 03:18:24 AM »
I would rather see a man that knows what his job is and avoids making statements about what he has no jurisdiction !
Hum ! maybe if the fed. govt. didn't get ask so many ????????  they wouldn't keep taking states rights ! hum ! guess when they talk about it they feel the need to pass laws ?

Offline Dee

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 05:19:47 AM »
nomosendero, Paul is not "passing the buck" when he says the states should deal with certain issues. He is saying; RESTORE STATES RIGHTS! Hell, we should all be Libertarians. I don't need the government to take care of me. I need them to get out of my way so I can take care of myself.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 06:56:59 AM »
I guess my drum has a different beat - when i see some DA reporter asking a stupid question and a politician with the guts to ignore it . I gain respect for the politician ( a hard thing to do ) .
Any politico that answers a " what if ? " looses my respect ! at best he is sucking up to the flavor of the crowd !

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 07:11:27 AM »
Getting booed at a debate does not help him any.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2007, 07:12:48 AM »
when Clinton staff fills the debate hall , maybe it does !

Offline Dee

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 07:50:06 AM »
Getting booed at a debate does not help him any.

It would depend on WHOM is doing the booing. Some of my personal critics lend credence to me, and sometimes others, that I am on the right track. I do not look for "mi-nute" negative details, such as booing from an unknown source, in order to find a point to criticize. I look at the over all BIGGER picture of what some one stands for CONSISTANTLY.
You on the other hand would criticize the color of his tie, if you could find nothing else to b#$%h about concerning Paul. That you are against him is obvious, that we care, should also be obvious.
You never state facts, just criticism.