Author Topic: Local source for tin?  (Read 785 times)

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
Local source for tin?
« on: November 23, 2007, 04:54:21 AM »
For years I've been buying tin bar stock from a local steel and exotic metals warehouse.  This place was recently purchased by another investment group and they will no longer be dealing with some of the metals other than steel. >:(  This was the only local source for such products I'm aware of.  Any ideas where else to look.  I really need to find another local source.

Offline jtaylor1960

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Local source for tin?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 05:12:41 AM »
 If you can't  find another metals place try a plumbing warehouse. 50/50 bar solder can be bought in different size bars.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 12:31:39 AM »
check your local radiator repair shops. You can sometimes get the drippings for boiling out old radiators from them for free or cheap. Its a pain to smelt but you end up with nice 60/40 solder.
blue lives matter

Offline Larry Gibson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
Ask over on the cast boolit forum. There's a guy there that will send tin at a reasonable price. I got 30 lbs from him about 6 months ago. Sorry I don't remember the name.

Larry Gibson

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 07:07:33 AM »
Since starting this thread I've found an unbelievable source and thought some here might be interested.  Met a gentleman in one of the gun shops i frequent who owns and operates a metal only recycling business.  Found out he doesn't cast but does shoot cast.  Made a deal with him trading bullets of different calibers that I use myself for all the material I can use for him and myself.  Took him an assortment of about 5,000 the first day for 38, 44, and 45 with a promise for more and they almost broke my 1/2 ton truck down loading it with tin bar stock and linotype.  When I left he said if that wasn't enough for now come back and get another load.

You might want to look around for 1 of these places where you are.  Even if you can't trade you have an opportunity to find cheap materials.  This guy will also sell to folks off the street and real cheap.   

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 01:43:43 AM »
what a find!! Sure wish i had access to a bunch of tin and lineotype. Both are getting extreamly hard to find up here.
blue lives matter

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 12:18:40 PM »
It's even getting tough to get wheel weights around here. The big places (Firestone, Goodyear, etc.) will only let "licensed recyclers" have it and the small places already have folks taking their wheel weights.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.