Author Topic: Field And Stream  (Read 1827 times)

Offline Sheila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Field And Stream
« on: November 23, 2007, 08:31:59 AM »
  Did you guys see this article in this month's issue about global warming? They guy that wrote the article is suppose to be a conservationis. I thougt I was reading The National Inquire. Why would they put  junk like this in a hunting and fishing magizine. They do it again, I'm going to cancle my subscription, and get a refund. We should write to them and tell them to leave this nonsense out of the magazines, or we will boycott them.
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline victorcharlie

Re: Field And Stream
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:34:39 AM »
Because the liberal left owns the media.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline thumbcocker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 09:17:09 AM »
I saw it too. I have a notion to cancel my subscription.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 10:39:32 AM »
Because the liberal left owns the media.

How can they own this  magazine?  Its the newspapers and TV media they are controlling.  I think this magazine is just jumping onto the bandwagon. 
[

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 07:06:36 PM »
We need to let them know where their reader base stands!  Then if they don't get the message, next time cancel.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 05:50:46 AM »
I have a notion to tear  the article out, ripe it into pieces, and send them along with a note back to Field And Stream telling them lo leave this propaganda out of their magazines. The guy that wrote the article is suppose to be conservationist, not a environmental wacko.
[

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 07:33:50 AM »
Look for the fine print page and see who owns them. Also "Sports Afield" and "Outdoor Life". Then go see what other magazines are published by the owners.

I did that several years ago, and I've never done more than look at the covers of any of them since. The only magazine I read along those lines is "Fur-Fish-Game". I even dropped Peterson's after they were sold to (IIRC) Hearst.

What I think is going on is that Soros bought some influence and he is putting pressure on Hearst, or whoever publishes the magazine, to support global warming. F&S used to be quiet on gun control or quietly supportive of gun control, anyhow, they were silent in 1994 and in 1968, and that silence came up in, IIRC, talk.politics.guns as saying they were in favor of gun control. That set off a shock wave and I see they now have David Petzal writing for them as "The Gun Nut" (He also has http://www.barking-moonbat.com/ ) but I still have not read any F&S.

Soros has an interesting history. He got his grubstake by helping the Gestapo loot the houses of the Jews shipped off to be gassed, in spite of being Jewish himself. He made a huge pile of money crashing the British pound, and caused an incredible amount of suffering among people on a fixed income doing it. He is now behind many of the stupider anti-Bush groups, like Move On.

You notice the groups that are still doing a presidential campaign against Bush? Those are his groups, trying to make sure he does not get re-elected in 2008, even though he cannot run. (I'm tempted to start making comments about a constitutional change to let him run just so some of them will go nuts and start foaming at the mouth.)

I think Soros is behind the most recent dip in the dollar. He has been trying for years to crash the US dollar so he can make money off it.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 08:37:04 PM »
  Hold on there for a second, fellas!  Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Field and Stream support GW Bush in his first Presidential election???  I do believe they said, "He is one of us."
  Many of you folks conceal carry...  Why, when the odds of you being victimized is so very low?  Well, because you err on the side of caution.  So, when something like "Global Warming" comes up, why aren't you erring on the side of caution? ???  I don't know if it is happening or not, and I doubt any of you really know either. ::)

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Chilachuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 03:25:03 AM »
TM7, I'd like to know that, myself. Like I said, I don't read the magazine.

(About the 2ndA, well, "Zumbo and Zern".)

Dakota, they may have gotten a wake up call, or they may have just switched on one issue and continue to toe the parent corporate line on the dozen other issues.

Offline Dee

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 05:02:34 AM »
I see Global Warming in the same light as Y2K. Who the hell knows, and what does it have to do with helping or hurting fishing and hunting? Did they say not to hunt or fish in the article? Did they say that camping would further Global Warming? So what's the beef. I look at the crap in the National Rifleman, and they (the NRA) is trying to sell me everything from credit cards to insurance, and that damn sure hasn't got anything to do with the 2nd Amendment.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 05:50:23 AM »
Get guns and ammo mag. I haven't seen it in their since I started getting it 5 years ago.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline crustaceous

• Contributor
  • back for a limited engagement
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 06:09:59 AM »
After you cancel your Field and Stream subscription, sign up for the National Geographic. The November issue has a great article on hunting!

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 09:26:17 AM »
I see Global Warming in the same light as Y2K. Who the hell knows, and what does it have to do with helping or hurting fishing and hunting? Did they say not to hunt or fish in the article? Did they say that camping would further Global Warming? So what's the beef. I look at the crap in the National Rifleman, and they (the NRA) is trying to sell me everything from credit cards to insurance, and that damn sure hasn't got anything to do with the 2nd Amendment.

Yes, hunting and fishing is mentioned in the article. I get a lot of that stuff from them to. but I feed it to the shredder.
[

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 11:19:24 AM »
After you cancel your Field and Stream subscription, sign up for the National Geographic. The November issue has a great article on hunting!

??? What's this world coming to?  ???
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline azshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 02:29:49 PM »
I don't subscribe to Field and Stream so I don't know what take they had.  On the subject of Global Warming, I think it is pretty clear that our climate is changing.  This is not a new thing as it has always changed and gone through warming and cooling cycles.  The causes may or may not be related to human activities and could be a combination of factors.

The sun's output runs in 11 and 88 year cycles.  We are at a peak output cycle right now.  During the little ice age 400 years ago, the sun's output was at a low level and combined with greater than normal volcanic activity led to 100 years of colder conditions.  Just because Al Gore and company are using it to make a power grab does jnot mean climate change is not real.  It has always happened man made or not.  The right argument should be about the cause of climate change not if it is happening or not.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 02:36:23 PM »
I think I'm  going to subscribe to  Cabela's  magazine.
[

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 03:09:52 PM »
I don't subscribe to Field and Stream so I don't know what take they had.  On the subject of Global Warming, I think it is pretty clear that our climate is changing.  This is not a new thing as it has always changed and gone through warming and cooling cycles.  The causes may or may not be related to human activities and could be a combination of factors.

The sun's output runs in 11 and 88 year cycles.  We are at a peak output cycle right now.  During the little ice age 400 years ago, the sun's output was at a low level and combined with greater than normal volcanic activity led to 100 years of colder conditions.  Just because Al Gore and company are using it to make a power grab does jnot mean climate change is not real.  It has always happened man made or not.  The right argument should be about the cause of climate change not if it is happening or not.

I agree.  I have concerns about the repercussions of dumping all types of pollutants into the atmosphere.  It isn't a political issue, it's a matter of caution in an area of scientific uncertainty.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 04:13:57 PM »
i rarely buy any of those mags. they are all so full of ads there are no stories. even the stories are about selling stuff. i like fur/fish/game, and backwoodsman about the best. sometimes a reloader
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 04:54:34 PM »
I like to read the reviews on somethings and see whats new. azshooter I agree.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 06:52:12 PM »
The Backwoodsman is an excellent magazine I wish it was monthly instead of bimonthly.
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Sheila

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 02:18:27 PM »
I never  heard of that  magazine, I'll have to look in on it. We need to tell them to make it monthly.
[

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2007, 02:29:15 PM »

I agree.  I have concerns about the repercussions of dumping all types of pollutants into the atmosphere.  It isn't a political issue, it's a matter of caution in an area of scientific uncertainty.

Okay....the climate is changing....maybe......

Do we wreck the economy in order to attempt to fix it?  How about the rest of the world?

I think it needs more study......before a plan of action is put in place.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline dukkillr

• The Daily Limit
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2007, 03:20:50 PM »

Do we wreck the economy in order to attempt to fix it?  How about the rest of the world?

My concern is that some people won't believe it regardless of how much science there is, and I'm confident the American economy can adjust.  To me the thought process should be, "gee, we only get on planet... maybe we should be careful about what we pump into the atmosphere..."  Maybe some of the changes we make to the earth will prove permanent.  To me that's selfish as we're depriving future generations of the wild places we inherited.  Seems to me that caution is warranted... that's all I'm advocating.  I've got degrees in Biology and Chemistry... I understand the science better than the average American, and I'm concerned.

This whole Global Warming/Al Gore thing is a great way to illustrate that radical people hurt the cause they seek to promote because they lack credibility among the general populous. 

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 03:27:27 PM »
Exactly. But some would rather have what they want and put what others need and jeopardy. Maybe someone should tell gore that.

Rick

Offline Chilachuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 05:00:53 PM »
Duk, compare the increase in water temp with the increase in CO2, and consider how warm water contains less dissolved gas than does cold.

(Warm beer goes flat faster than cold beer.)

What sort of biology? Have you ever seen a graph of the global temperature over the last 2.5 million years?

This URL did not come up just now when I tested it:

http://qra.org.uk/what.html

If it comes up later, take a look at the graph on the top of the page. (It's one of those that's backwards, with "now" on the left and "long ago" on the right. The second line down is today's sea level, and the scale is crunched up toward the bottom. I'm pretty sure it's not a log scale, more like a parabolic function.)

Especially disturbing is how seldom the sea level gets as high as it is now, and how fast it goes down afterwards.

I'd be tickled pink if the human race could defeat the next glacial period due shortly.

Here's a site that did come up. Sea level and vegetation distribution during the last glacial maximum, Europe, Asia, and Africa:

http://www.handprint.com/LS/ANC/disp.html

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2007, 05:30:53 PM »
Back when I was a sprout I lived for each month to read Outdoor Life, Sports Afield and Field and Stream. I got Outdoor life suscriptions  for Christmas and Birthday gifts and when in high school the school library had all three issues to read. back then it was Hunting and Fishing pretty much exclusivly non of this yuppie crap they publish now >:(  I now get some of it on line for free but I sure would not pay for a suscription anymore they have really gone down hill. I used to buy several gun mags a month. Now I get the Backwoodsman as I have contributed articles to them and they are an excellent mag that reminds me of the old days of the big three and I get the NRA Rifleman because I am a NRA member. Other than that most mags are garbage compared to what they used to be including the gun mags.

Offline azshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2007, 05:41:03 AM »

Don't fall into the trap of denying that climate changes.  It changes all the time - see the chart below.  If you deny it you just look ignorant.  Libs then will build on that to make the Al Gore types and their political agenda for a power grab look legit.  Climate changes and it can change rapidly - that's a fact - the cause is still up for debate.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2007, 06:18:20 AM »

Don't fall into the trap of denying that climate changes.  It changes all the time - see the chart below.  If you deny it you just look ignorant.  Libs then will build on that to make the Al Gore types and their political agenda for a power grab look legit.  Climate changes and it can change rapidly - that's a fact - the cause is still up for debate.

I have been saying that all along on the net ever since that moron Gore came up with this Global Warming BS The climate goes in cycles and has since the beginning. Dang liberals are stupid and gullable!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 03:03:32 PM »

I could see several years ago that both field & stream and outdoor life were either going lefty or yuppie..and dropped both out of boredom.

As some suggested, if you want a REAL hunting magazine (as most of us hunt, fish, trap) ..put you Field & stream $$ into Fur-Fish-Game..that is the real outdoorsman's magazine !

I also like my Backwoodsman..a great read (& learn) magazine.

Someone suggested National Geographic (sincerely, no doubt) but...my brother used to give me a subscription each year until I asked him to stop wasting his money..they are so lefty/PC it is sickening..

As far as the "global warming", I believe we are in a slight warming cycle that is completely cyclical in nature..

As I see them, when the Eco-freaks like Algore, Barbra Streisand, John Edwards and all the rest of the political/Hollyweird crowd that keep telling us to live like Haji in Afghanistan..give up their mansions, jet airplanes, and wasteful traveling ...i may start to take them a bit more seriously.

..And this "carbon footprint" ponzy scheme Algore has going, there is something the dept of justice ought to look into ! They pull in millions of $$, give back no product and offer
   only nebulous, often questionable side effects..

The whole idea is elitist crap !  It says that if you are rich enough, you can waste all kinds of energy, pollute all you want ..then pay a "fine" or bribe to the carbon footprint ponzy scheme and walk away with a free conscience...LOL

That is like getting drunk and running over an old lady on the west side of town..so you go over on the east side and help an old lady across the street (so a drunk won't hit her)..then you can walk away with a clear conscience...

The following week get drunk again, run over a Boy Scout..then go across town and buy some cookies from a Girl scout..all square again...LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 04:28:30 PM »
  If mans carbon emissions are such a concern to ALGORE, why is this guy hopping around the planet burning fossil fuels in a private jets and caravans of SUV's? Why is Bono pumping out enough wattage in a 2 hour concert to power several average homes for a year? This smacks of hipocrocy and conspiracy.

I do not deny that the earth has NATURAL cycles of warming and cooling. But these are not affected by man. What ALGORE and his cronies are trying to do is implement control over the world by using global warming as an excuse. Why are only America and other first world countrys being pressed to sign onto these treaties? Global warming is not man made, it is a tool for the evil leftist to try to force the world into servitude.

Anyone who beleaves in this global warming trash is as Stalin would have termed you "useful fools".
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.