Author Topic: My new 45-70 Handi Scout Rifle  (Read 7479 times)

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Re: My new 45-70 Handi Scout Rifle
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 01:59:53 PM »
I drilled and tapped my barrel today and used blue Loc-Tite on all four screws and tightened them down. I installed the scope and tightened all the ring screws securely. I grabbed some targets, ear plugs, Winchester 300 grain JHP factory ammo, and my staple gun and walked down to my shooting range.
I stapled a target to my portable target stand and placed it about 15 yards away. I was worried about the barrel taper making the gun shoot high so I turned the elevation adjustment down 1.5 turns. I fired my first shot at the target and much to my delight the bullet hit about 5 inches low. I was relieved because I knew the barrel taper wasn't going to be an issue. I raised the elevation adjustment back up about a turn and moved my target to 33 yards. I settled into the sand bags and fired, this shot hit a little low and 1.5" to the right. I raised the scope adjustment up some more and fired again at 33 yards, this shot hit about 3/4" high and 1.5" to the right. I left the elevation alone and adjusted the windage to the left 4".
I walked over to my 100 yard target stand and stapled a new target to it. I then walked back to my shooting bench, settled into the sand bags and fired 3 shots. I had no idea where I was hitting until I walked back over to the target. As I got closer I could see one hole and a few steps closer I saw another. I was getting worried about where the third hole was until I was right at the target, I was absolutely tickled to death when I saw all three shots. The group measured 3/4" center to center of the two farthest holes, I posted a picture for all of you to see.
I've got three more days to deer hunt and hopefully I can get one with my Handi-Scout Rifle.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 02:05:30 PM »
Fantastic, good shootin again!! ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 04:34:25 PM »
Oh Great One I'am tickled pink  you done well  I'am so glad to be wrong  I got a 45 70 coming and you guesed it  Now to save for a Leupold EER scope it that a scout or a pistol scope

Much Thanks
Foggy
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2007, 11:23:36 PM »
Thanks quickdtoo & Foggy,

Now to save for a Leupold EER scope it that a scout or a pistol scope

Much Thanks
Foggy

The Leupold 2x I put on my gun is a handgun scope but if I hadn't already had this scope I would have bought the Leupold 2.5x Scout scope. E-bay is a good place to buy a 2x Leupold handgun scope, they sell new for about $300 you can usually get them on e-bay for half that or less. With a Leupold it doesn't matter who the original purchaser was, they have a forever warranty.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2007, 01:39:19 AM »
Well, I've gone and done it.  My Handi .45-70 is now a Handi .45-70 Scout.  I picked up the Weaver base, but when I removed the rear sight, there was only one screw.  I didn't have the time to have the barrel drilled and tapped for the other 3 screws, so I picked up some J-B Weld.  The barrel was cleaned, and masked around the base.  The bottom of the base was roughed up with Scotch-Brite.  The J-B Weld was applied to the base and it was placed on the barrel and the screwtightened.  An additional clamp was used on the front of the base to insure contact.

Yesterday I put a Tasco 2 x 20 mm pistol scope on it and went to the range.  After 20 mixed rounds including 405 gr. cast bullets and Hornady 300 and 350 gr., it was sighted in.  I examined the base and it was still tight.  Only time will tell now!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2007, 02:23:22 AM »
how about a picture of your setup woodchukhntr....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2007, 04:19:47 AM »
Sorry, I don't have a picture now.  It looks like the one that Slufoot did, except no peep sight and it has a wood stock without a recoil pad.  Nothing special about it's appearance, pretty basic.  I would like to get a youth stock for use during the hunting season when I am wearing heavy clothes and carrying a day pack.

Offline whiskey101

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2007, 07:55:39 AM »
I used JB weld to install a front sight on my Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag. That was years ago and was only meant as a temporary fix because the silver solder had broke loose while I was on a hog hunt in Florida. The SBH was the only pistol I had with me and I needed to fix it. I bought some JB Weld, cleaned up both surfaces and clamped it together. Well the JB Weld held well and it is still holding. I never bothered having it resoldered since the JB Weld was doing such a fine job.

"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."