Author Topic: Has anyone filled a tag with their semi-auto or pump?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Has anyone filled a tag with their semi-auto or pump?
« on: November 24, 2007, 01:57:01 PM »
I have been wondering why no one has posted here about their hunting results so far this year.
It sure would be nice to hear about your success with these firearms we like to hunt with.

Wednesday morning my dad was hunting about 200 yards from me and about 9:00 AM I heard his Browning BAR in 30-06 sound off. Fifteen minutes later I spotted a buck about 80 yards from me walking through the woods. I picked an opening and my BAR 30-06 sent a handloaded 150 grain Remington Corelokt bullet behind his shoulder.
I thought the buck was a six pointer but he turned out to only have four points. After field dressing him I went to see about my dad and he had a big doe. He used the same load as I did and both bullets worked great.
This is our first year hunting with semi-autos and we really like them. I asked my dad when we were butchering the meat if he liked his BAR and his reply was "Oh Yeh"!
Dads gun is a MKII lightweight with walnut stocks and mine is a MKII Safari. They both average about 1.25" at 100 yards, this is excellent deer medicine!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Has anyone filled a tag with their semi-auto or pump?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 03:28:56 PM »
Tuesday I shot a small buck with my M1A. I was about 1000 yards back on public land. Sitting on a peninsula that extended deep into a swamp nearly meeting another peninsula with a creek running between. Shot the buck on the other side just to make it interesting. One shot through the heart at about 100 yards. Called him in with a grunt call and doe scent. The hunt was both scenic and exciting.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Mike103

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 09:46:32 AM »
Shot a nice 6pt on Sat the 17, opening day in the southern zone in NY. I was using my Remington 7600 carbine in 35 Remington. This is the second deer I shot with this rifle. Will post a picture when I get time. MIKE.

Offline wi-deerhunter

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 11:43:50 AM »
Shot 7 pointer on opening day in Wisconsin with new Remington model 750 Woodsmaster chambered in .308 WIN carbine. I fired 2 shots and buck went down . That is third deer I taken with Rem 750.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 02:17:25 PM »
I shot a doe on the 16th with my 7400, 30-06, 150gr Hornady SST's.  Several came running down the hill past my cousin and I, and he missed 3 times with his 30-30 at about 50 yards.  I really wasn't planning on shooting a doe, but she looked too much like a bag of deer jerky running past, so I did.   After he finished, I stood up and shot the doe offhand at about 80 yards, rear quartering shot.  Must have nicked a twig and the bullet started to expand or the SST's really suck at close range, because I was a little too far left and caught part of the rear ham, and the entrance hole was literally big enough to put both of my fists in.  Penetration was not good either, I got lucky and broke her pelvis, and enough of the remains of the bullet made it to the vitals.  She wasn't big by any standards, she probably weighted 70lbs dressed.   I'm glad it wasn't a 250lb buck.  I should have waited for a better shot, I suppose.  I don't have much time to hunt this year, so I had already decided that if it's brown its down, and in the excitement I couldn't help myself.

Offline topknot

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 04:59:52 PM »
 On Nov. 17 was my 11 year old sons first hunt, he was using a Mini 30. Three does came down the hill left of our ladder stand. I told him to shoot the big one in the lead. He shot she jumped, he shot again she took a few steps and fell. I said "Son take the next one and I'll take the last one." He fired and dropped the second doe in it's tracks. I however emptied the clip in my Rem 7400 .280 Carbine before taking down the last doe.   
Yes, on that WMA hunt we could take two does.
 " PRICELESS"

Offline NYHunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 09:07:43 AM »
Took a 4 pointer in NY on 11/18 with my  .30-06  760 carbine with one 150 grn. Core-lokt. 
Buck went about 125  lbs.  First buck with this new-for-me rifle.

Offline NYHunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 09:14:29 AM »
I have been wondering why no one has posted here about their hunting results so far this year.
It sure would be nice to hear about your success with these firearms we like to hunt with.

Wednesday morning my dad was hunting about 200 yards from me and about 9:00 AM I heard his Browning BAR in 30-06 sound off. Fifteen minutes later I spotted a buck about 80 yards from me walking through the woods. I picked an opening and my BAR 30-06 sent a handloaded 150 grain Remington Corelokt bullet behind his shoulder.
I thought the buck was a six pointer but he turned out to only have four points. After field dressing him I went to see about my dad and he had a big doe. He used the same load as I did and both bullets worked great.
This is our first year hunting with semi-autos and we really like them. I asked my dad when we were butchering the meat if he liked his BAR and his reply was "Oh Yeh"!
Dads gun is a MKII lightweight with walnut stocks and mine is a MKII Safari. They both average about 1.25" at 100 yards, this is excellent deer medicine!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

I have new, 2 yr. old,  BAR Lightweight Stalker in  .308. Shot a nice 7 pointer last year with it using 150 grn. Power-Points. Nice rifle.
Been using pumps and semi's for whitetails for years. I really like them, especially the pumps.

Offline Landngroove

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 12:39:57 PM »
On Nov.17, took an 8 pointer with my Remington 742 Carbine, in .30-06. Used my own handloads, Hornady 180 grain BTSP, 47 grains Winchester, 748. I recently aquired this 742 Carbine. Cycles flawlessly, and I am very happy with it.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 01:17:58 PM »
I did yesterday evening at 4:45. I used my 7600 7mm-08. I used a log for a rest and took him with a neck shot.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 02:38:19 PM »
A tag?

How about 100 deer or better in my lifetime with pump action Remington's and Browning's.

I managed to shoot a sweet old doe the other day out of the window of the Avalanche.

.270 Remington Gamemaster with 140 gr Hollow Point handloads.

The doe went 3 feet - straight down!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 02:31:20 AM »
I got one other buck (3 years ago) with my 7600. With the 760 30-06 my son now has I got several deer.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline dcnewyork

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 12:32:14 PM »
I have not seen  a single deer all season. went out for 12 days in a row,  yesterday I decided I am done with it. I did not go out today either, I think I am just gonna save my money and do a caned hunt next year. I really only like to kill stuff and eat it. If I want to freeze my but off in the woods I can do that for free. I was really hoping to nail a deer with a double tap from my AR-15.

Offline DLuke

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 12:36:47 PM »
A 128.5.lb field dressed doe from Maine with my 7600 .270Win.  Shot was at about 15 yards, deer travelled about 20 yards....