Author Topic: Antelope Hunt  (Read 2742 times)

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
Antelope Hunt
« on: November 25, 2007, 03:20:32 AM »
Is it possible for a poor man like me to hunt Antelope? I am not interested in a guided hunt, just some trespass fees and a license would be a strain on my finances. But, I ain't getting no younger and this is something I have always wanted to do.
Any suggestions appreciated.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline gwindrider1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Antelope Hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 04:16:27 AM »
Alan,

It's gotten a bit pricey over the years, but I believe your best bet would be to contact the Wyoming Fish & Game Dept.  There are just more of them there!

Last I heard, the non-resident fee was around $250 for a buck.  Trespass fees can range from near nothing to maybe $100.

It's become dang near impossible for even a resident to get a tag here in Colorado, but it couldn't hurt you to try.

Good luck!

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 09:51:54 AM »
As a non res. it took me three years to draw in a zone with a lot of public land and I paid for the preference points the second year.   You should be able to swing a public land hunt.   If you can take care of your own meat, you don't need a guide.  It irritates me that nonresidents have to have a guide to hunt the wilderness areas of Wyoming.  I guess if you live in town, in WY and have never been hunting, it makes you an expert hunter in wilderness areas.   For antelope, order a BLM or National Forest map of the area you want to hunt.  It shows the public and private land.  Some zones are almost all privately held so you will need a place to hunt before applying for a tag in those zones. The fish & wildlife dept. has a lot of information like drawing success and #of tags given for the different zones.  good luck.     

Offline GANDER

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 02:48:04 AM »
No reason for a guide. Antelope hunting is fun and easy or hard as you want to make it. WY is full of BLM ground You can hunt bucks for 286 and does for 40 bucks a piece. We hunt in the area we go every year but draw a buck tag every other. Personally I just love hunting them I could care less if they have horns.

Offline T.R.

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 08:01:03 AM »

These antelope were taken on public land in South Dakota. 

South Dakota borders both Montana and Wyoming.  Antelope do not comprehend the line between these states.

The State leases private lands for sportsmen to hunt upon.  Contact GAME FISH & PARKS in Pierre, SD and ask for the Walk In Atlas.   The large area just east of Camp Crook in Harding County is a good place to hunt.

Application has to be sent in around late July.  www.state.sd.us

Good hunting to you.
TR

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:07:21 PM »
Wyoming  has plenty of public land. Around Casper the trespass fees  were not real high the last time I was there. There is also walk in areas in some zones. Hunting after the first  weekend can mean less competition. I saw several antelope last year on public land in the Gillette/Buffalo area while mule deer hunting. Call biologists and wardens and any other Natural Resources People you can find on their website. There will be leftover licenses on sale in July.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 04:38:17 PM »
We have unlimited area tags in MT and tons of  access out there,you had to apply by March 15.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 06:29:14 AM »
Eastern Montana, south of Fort Peck is a great place - least it used to be, and I had great fun in the BLM area near Muddy Gap Junction in Wyoming.  Somehow it just seems wrong to pay over three dollars per pound for antelope meat.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.