Author Topic: My first shotgun deer  (Read 953 times)

Offline whiskey101

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
My first shotgun deer
« on: November 25, 2007, 05:16:16 AM »
This is the first deer I have killed with a shotgun. I bought this gun to hog hunt on a shotgun only WMA in Florida. This year I was drawn for a shotgun only hunt on a Tennessee Air Force Base. I sighted in the Fire Sights with 3" Remington Solid Copper Sabots at 50 yards. I put one right through her heart at 60 yards. She didn't take another step. I have been happy with the groups this ammo produces and now with the hole through the rib cage on this doe. I just wish they weren't 3 dollars a shot!

"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: My first shotgun deer
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 03:26:50 PM »
Congratulations Whiskey! I take it that is a Air National Guard Base?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline whiskey101

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:48:30 AM »
This is an actual air force base. Arnold Air Force Base and Arnold Engineering Deveolpment Center (AEDC). They test Jet and Rocket engines there. There are active duty stationed there too, just not many.  ;D
"So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street."

Offline usmc2111

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 12:30:20 AM »
Once you see the accuracy and knock down power of a slug gun its hard to go back to a rifle.

Offline whiskey101

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 03:27:46 AM »
Well, I ordered a set of Burris Signature Zee rings and 5 boxes of Sabots so I can get this gun scoped with the Bushnell Banner 4x32 Shotgun Scope I have for it. I ran out of scope adjustment the first time I tried to mount this scope, so I will have to use the Burris inserts to kick the rear end of the scope up. I am also hoping that the faster Hornady SST's that I ordered will help the set-up.

Offline usmc2111

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 09:53:36 AM »
Just a thought, check and make sure the base is level on top of the receiver and you may not need the inserts.

Offline whiskey101

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 11:07:05 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I will check it out when I re-install it. I believe it was ok before, but not positive. I need 6 more inches at 100 yards to get to POA. That is with the scope maxed out. I figure I may use the +/-20" inserts and get the scope closer to it's internal zero. I will check the base when I reinstall it tonight though.

Offline usmc2111

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 12:03:33 PM »
Looked at the pic again and are you using a cantilever barrel or a screw on J or U mount type. If it is the J or U mount type then see if it may have got bent on the front. I have a U mount type on my 870 and the front was bent slightly down when i got it and my scope would not zero.

Offline whiskey101

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 03:02:14 AM »
Well to answer your question, the receiver is drilled and tapped and I have a weaver rail mounted on top now. In the picture above I had removed the rail and scope so I could the iron sights. Last night I put the weaver rail and a set of the Burris Signature Zee rings on. I counted clicks back to mechanical zero on the scope and found that from the center point I have roughly 8 inches of adjustment with the scope. That, coupled with the 7 inches I was still low on target with the scope maxed out, I used 15" worth of shim adjustments via the posi-align inserts. 10" higher in the back and 5" lower in the front. I then centered the scope. Hopefully this will get me to a good starting point.

This is the second application that I have used the signatures zee rings with. The time before was on a 17HMR bolt action that was drilled and tapped off center. I have to use close to 30" of adjustment from left to right to get it right.

Offline usmc2111

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 04:10:35 AM »
Sounds good. Hopefully it will get you dead on