Author Topic: Yet another optics question.  (Read 403 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Yet another optics question.
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:45:02 AM »
Weaver K series 4 or 6 power

Weaver Gland Slam 4.75 fixed power

Leupold FX2 4 or 6 power

Leupold FX3 6 power

Please rate these scopes in terms of-

1. Durability
2. Clarity
3. Brightness

I'm aware that the Leupolds have .5" to 1" more eye relief than the Weavers. Also how does Burris generally rate in terms of quality? Specifically the Fullfield 2 and Signature series. Even though I would prefer an American or Japanese produced scope, the Fullfield is tempting. I see the Elite 3200/4200's are pushed hard here and everyone seems to use them as a base line for comparing other scopes..

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Yet another optics question.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 12:48:16 PM »
I haven't looked through all these scopes you have listed and haven't owned them but I have looked through the Weaver GrandSlam 4.75 and it is awesome for clarity and brightness.  The only thing I noticed about it that is a little negative is the outer edges of the sight picture are not quite as clear as the center but I would recommend this scope.  I have owned several  Vari-X II's and they are not on the same level of glass as the grandslams. 

I have looked through the Burris Fullfield II scopes and I wouldn't mount one on my rifles (I am probably stepping on some toes here but the truth needs told) because they are inferior optically to other scopes of this price such as Nikon Prostaff.   The Signature Select line of scopes are OK but not in the same league as the Black Diamond series scopes, as I looked through both side by side and forked over the extra money for the BD.

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Yet another optics question.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 10:21:18 AM »
Just reverse the order and that would be how they stack up for all three categories.
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.