Author Topic: Was this Ethical  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
Was this Ethical
« on: November 26, 2007, 01:28:07 PM »
I just got back from camp had a great time.
Here's the setup one of our party made a poor shot on a nice buck ( Gut shot it actually) The buck was in the open on a hill side and at the shot he humped up and hightailed it for the thick stuff. Not wanting the deer to suffer more or to lose the deer to other hunters in the area or spend the whole afternoon trailing him. I took 2 shots at him and put him down. Now the range was long for my Mini 30 just under 300 yds my first shot kicked up the dirt beneath him and struck his front foot causing him trip.When he came back up I took the second shot it was a shoulder hit and he crashed. I would never have taken such a shot at the deer had it not already been hit. But some at camp said it was very unethical to take the shot at all. What do y'all think?
I'm am including a pic that you may find strange.

Pat 
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Was this Ethical
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 01:38:41 PM »
I would take their words with a grain of salt.  You took a running shot at a gut shot deer and put him down. 

Providing the rest of the gun rules were followed (being sure of what was beyond your target, etc) , I would have offered you a beverage after all the guns were put away.

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 02:20:06 PM »
Unto thy own self be true.

Never mind what anyone else says.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 02:38:49 PM »
IMHO the ethical thing to do after an animal is hit is to dispatch said animal as quickly as possible safely.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Bubber

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 02:48:39 PM »
On a deer that had already been hit fatally, I see no problem with taking whatever shot you have.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 03:11:33 PM »
Anything that can be done to reduce a wounded animal's suffering is ethical.  But you have exposed a great example of why it's dumb to use less versatile deer rounds.  You just never know what might happen in the field.

Offline Hooker

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 03:52:41 PM »
I was wondering what those outside my group would think about this situation. As always I make sure my shots are safe.
I didn't take the unethical accusations to heavy these are the same guys that look down on my choice of weapons every year. Even though I have taken a deer every season with my Quote " Nothing guns"  They always show up with the latest SS Ultra Something Magnum pretty guns. My guns are battle scared and worn but they are clean, accurate, practiced with a lot, and I can pronounce their names. I still consider these guys like family, even though they rode me pretty hard I know they would be there for if I needed them. That night when all the guns were put up and after a great supper, the campfire was blazing we got that Mason Jar out and past it around and I thought what perfect day and how could I let this get me down. So I gave a toast to the deer the fire and my good friends, which brought on the laughs and stories. That night I slept extra good maybe it was the clear mind but then again it might have been all that toasting.

Pat          
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

Offline Hooker

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007, 04:08:29 PM »
But you have exposed a great example of why it's dumb to use less versatile deer rounds.  You just never know what might happen in the field.

Ouch
Sorry I do not feel that it is dumb the young man that made the bad shot was carrying my 308 and was transporting me to my afternoon hunting area where shots are measured in feet. When we spotted the buck we made a stalk but got busted 160 yds out. Had I been there by myself that deer would still be running.
But he hesitated just long enough for the him to get a shot. Then the damage was done. If you carry a "less versatile deer round" You live with in it limits. After all even those super duper long range death rays have limits.

Pat
-Mark Twain

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 04:30:23 PM »
I agree that it's ethical to take any safe shot to end the misery of an injured animal.

As I get older and my eyes are weaker (still 20/20 according to my eye exams) I become more aware that I am the limiting factor and not the rifle. Just because the rifle is capable of shooting 4" at 500 yards doesn't mean that I am. If your shots are under 100 yards and you are comfortable with the Mini-30 then don't worry about your friends ribbing. After all you weren't the one that made a bad shot in the first place. Just curious, what round do you prefer in your Mini-30?
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 04:35:50 PM »
I agree with pretty much everyone here.  When an animal is wounded, all bets are off and let the lead fly as long as it's done safely.  Everyone wants that one shot, drop right there hit, but you don't get that perfect shot take whatever you can get to ease the animals suffering.

Offline Hooker

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 05:25:54 PM »
I agree that it's ethical to take any safe shot to end the misery of an injured animal.

As I get older and my eyes are weaker (still 20/20 according to my eye exams) I become more aware that I am the limiting factor and not the rifle. Just because the rifle is capable of shooting 4" at 500 yards doesn't mean that I am. If your shots are under 100 yards and you are comfortable with the Mini-30 then don't worry about your friends ribbing. After all you weren't the one that made a bad shot in the first place. Just curious, what round do you prefer in your Mini-30?

I've had good results with Wolf HPs, but these were hand loads. Hornady 130 gr .308 dia. Federal brass and RL-7. I get 1" to 1 1/4" groups which seems to be very good for this rifle. I hunt the bottoms where the brush sometimes very thick most shots are less than 50 yds. so this little rifle works very well for me.In the more open woods I prefer my Marlin 45/70 and on the clear cuts I use my 308. My dad always told me there were no marginal hunting guns just marginal hunters. Most of my hunting is still hunting which seems to be a dieing art with the younger generation.

Pat 
-Mark Twain

Offline Bubber

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 05:57:49 PM »
these are the same guys that look down on my choice of weapons every year. Even though I have taken a deer every season with my Quote " Nothing guns"  They always show up with the latest SS Ultra Something Magnum pretty guns. My guns are battle scared and worn but they are clean, accurate, practiced with a lot, and I can pronounce their names.

See you didn't say that befor. Their comments had nothing to do with ethics and a whole lot to do with being jelous of your shooting abilities.

I once made a shot that amounted to pure unadulterated luck. Even I was amazed that I made it. Of course I did the manly thing and played it off as if it was no big deal. There is still one guy who refuses to shoot at the same time as me because I am "Foolish".

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 03:19:17 AM »
Nope! Once an animal is wounded, all bets are off, you make any and all possible shots, including the dreaded THS, to bring the animal to bag!

Offline bhod1

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 01:54:08 PM »
I agree, once an animal is wounded, do whatever it takes to put the animal down. I congratulate you for making that shot at that range.

But - just my personal opinion - a 7.62x39 is not a deer hunting round. I am not a super-magnum fan either, 243, 260, 7mm-o8, 25-06, 308, etc  are all ideal deer hunting cartridges.

Barry

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 02:04:54 PM »
  Once an animal is wounded you are unethical if you do not do as much as possible to retrieve it. Those in your camp that told you that it was unethical to take the shots you did (if they were safe shots) were complete and utter imbeciles. Many people take shtots on wounded game they would never take on an unwounded animal. This includes most african professional hunters and big game guides. I worked as a guide in Colorado in my youth. The man I worked for pounded it into me that it was a duty that wounded animals be retrieved. He was a user of a 375 H&H mag and carried it because he beleaved that it would punch through to the vitals of an elk when he had to take a less than perfect shot to retrieve an elk.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 12:50:45 PM »
buddy, you did good. i don't think i would enjoy those guys at a hunt too much. but on a lighter side, your hoof picture would be great for a story with friends. something about him putting his hoof up to shield his eyes from the light
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline rbergum95

• Contributor
  • Theres no luck in lead unless it's flyin'.
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 02:35:25 PM »
you did the right thing. i had a similar thing happen 2 weeks ago and i am still catching hell from the guys i hunt with. i did what i felt was right and completed the task at hand. as long as you can live with yourself and you know in your heart it is right then you did the right thing. and kudos for using a "less versatile" round and knowing your limitations. i wish more people thought as you do.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 05:45:11 PM »
Who really gives a damn what they think,you made the shot and killed a wounded deer,what would have been unethical is to make no attempt to finish that deer off,the angle and distance of your shot does not play into the ethics of hunting.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 05:55:25 AM »
  Obviously, you did the right thing...can't lose the animal.   Now, for your choice of the 7.62x39...  Ballistically, isn't it pretty much the same as a .30-30?!  Last I heard, the ol' .30-30 has killed a few deer.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein