Author Topic: How would you build the "perfect" elk rifle?  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: How would you build the "perfect" elk rifle?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 04:38:08 AM »
I read on another forum that from long time elk hunters.  They seemed to gravitate back to the 30-06, .338-06, .35 Whelen, and maybe .338 WM.  Some had tried the .300 WM, 7mm WM and .375 HH mag.  Most said they liked the non belted .30-.35 caliber rifles.  They said that magnums were heavier and/or kicked too much.  Some had tried smaller diameter calibers, but liked a little more smack. 

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/52/page/1

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 07:37:56 AM »
I didn't draw any tags this year.  I'm trying to plan in advance for a possible hunt next year. 

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 08:21:29 AM »
Any of you Elk hunters got any "shed" antlers? I'd love to have an Elk rack, but I'm not going to kill an Elk just for the rack, and living in Texas makes getting the meat home kind of iffy.
Besides "the boss" says "no remnents of dead animals "on the wall. I can maybe get her to OK some sheds as the Elk didn't have to die.
Thanx, Mike
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA
Crabby conservative old fart

Offline NONYA

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 04:30:54 PM »
Grow a pair man,what kind of man lets a woman tell him he cant have an  elk rack on the wall,JEsus....
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Sweet 6.5

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 07:41:35 PM »
Grow a pair man,what kind of man lets a woman tell him he cant have an  elk rack on the wall,JEsus....

:o I agree, just kick her in the stomach and tie her to her tree!!
We are real men!

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 03:47:16 AM »
Yeah, right! Are your wives looking over your shoulders while you write this?
After 40 years of marriage, I don't see any problem in compromise. I've hunted most of my life, until my eyes limited me to 50 yards or so. I don't think I can get inside 50 yards of a trophy Elk. And I still can't see killing an Elk just for the rack. Think of me how you will, I don't really care.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"   George Orwell

Offline NONYA

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 02:36:43 PM »
lol,compromise would be hanging it in a certian part of the house,not having the opportunity to hang one at all is just spineless,she pay for that house all by herself?

Offline Mike Britton

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 03:48:42 AM »
Let me guess, Nonya, you're single, right?

Offline NONYA

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 05:29:31 AM »
Nope,happily involved,my girl could probably drag that elk out,cape it and process the meat before your guide could.Speaking of her thers a ragpoint bull rack laying next to the boat that she has had laying out there for a few years ,maybe she would sell it to you...if of course momma will let you have one.Sorry but i dont know a single man/hunter that would allow his wife to tell him he couldnt display his trophys in HIS home."That crap dont go around here law dog."

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 06:55:32 AM »
I use the KISS consept, K-eep I-t S-imple S-tupid.

I use a Ruger M77 MKII in 270 Winchester for my main Deer sized game, but with 150/160 grain Nosler Partitions I know it would conquer an elk.

I wanted a new rifle that would carry a heavier bullet, so I used KISS.

I bought a Weatherby Mark V synthetic in 30-06 Springfield and installed a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm scope on it using Leupold reversable front base and low rings.
Total price was $765.00 brand new.

I am going to work up a 180 grain Nosler Partition load for Elk, Moose and Black Bear.  I also want to see how Nosler 200 & 220 grain Partitons and Hornady 220 round nose bullets work too for close range over bait bears.

yooper77

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2008, 11:26:24 PM »
Hmmm Whilst not Elk I did travel to the US to hunt Whitetails even though it's not possible to bring any of the meat home. After downing my Buck we ate the tenderloins and backstraps in camp and gave the rest of the carcase away to a local needy family. The Button Buck and Doe I shot were boned out and packed in a large cooler with ice and shared out by my Buddy and his brothers. I do have a problem where to mount the shoulder mount I had done as I now live in a trailer (Mobile Home) and there is a distinct lack of room for such a mount. An Elk would simply not fit  :'(. Moved to my parents palce to help look after them but it's a two bedroomed bungalow and small so no room in there for it either. The walls are already covered by Mothers paintings and drawings.

Most normal hunting rifles will suffice for even Elk given correct bullet selection and placement, I am lucky as I have a selection that would be suitable ranging from 6.5x55 through to .458 so am confident that at least one would do in a pinch  ;)