Author Topic: packers or cowboys?  (Read 2573 times)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: packers or cowboys?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2007, 03:06:00 AM »
 favre is hands down the greatest q.b. to have ever played the game, and has all the records to prove it.

rogers was looking great last night as well.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2007, 04:57:51 AM »
I truly wish I could have watched the game.  Logging on to NFL.com was good to get the play by play, but it was all text.  If the zebras were doing a poor job calling the game; then that's a shame because it should have truly been a slug fest.  All I got to see were highlights on the news and of course they were only the touchdown plays and the play where Favre got hurt.  I would rather have the hard fought win than a win perceived to be gotten by bad officiating.

GB's back up QB did very well, but I suspect if Brett would have found his groove it probably would have been a much closer game.  I have much respect for that guy and hope he recoups in time for the next game.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2007, 06:07:29 AM »
i feel the same way, let the better team win.

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2007, 06:21:12 AM »
Not making excuses, but the odds were definitely against the Packers.  I seen at least two crucial calls against the Packers that turned the game in favor of the Cowboys, but that's football!

As I said, I was never a Cowboy fan, "America's Team."  BS, but I was a fan of Don Meridith, his stint as an announcer did a lot for the game, and now that this one is over we must remember Don singing that old Willie Nelson favorite, and just let this one die!

"TURN OUT THE LIGHTS, THE PARTY IS OVER."

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2007, 06:41:57 AM »
bad enough the pack had to play the cowboys,  but playing the zebra's also was just insane.   if i was a cowboy i would be so angry at the officials for robbing the team of their chance for greatness. 

it really is a shame.  but i dont begrudge the team for it,  who ever paid the ref's is the person i have it in for.

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 07:50:11 AM »
Maybe I'm behind the curve in responding to the Brett Favre items, but I read this this morning.  Almost brought a tear to my eye:

>>>>>
Nice Packer article from the LA Times

Chris Erskine:
Man of the House
Favre homage: on bended, creaky knee
November 29, 2007

NBC has "Bionic Woman." The NFL has Brett Favre, the bionic man. Guess which one is having the better season? I don't know what you're eating, Mr. Favre, but pass the candy dish.

You're maybe the last American hero. A postmodern DiMaggio. A Wyatt Earp. You're about 140 years old, with the smile of an 8-year-old and a gun like Zeus.

You do all the things the other superstars don't. You play in that city by the bay, an obscure little place with more chipmunks than people, more deer rifles than cellphones. Up there in northern Wisconsin, you don't ride in limos; they just send over Santa's sleigh.

You're us, which isn't so bad -- at least if you ask us. You're not some natty dude, a blingy gold-toothed Liberace. No three-pointed kerchief in your suit pocket, like the male mannequins back in the Fox studio. No sir. You wear your hair like the 18th green, short and fast. You could comb it with a golf towel.

Yep, we appreciate your sense of style -- the plain gray T-shirts and the faded jeans. You've got that same lovely wife you started with. Your beard's getting a little frosty, the jowls a little puffy, but she's stuck by you, that woman. Through your tough times. And you through hers.

Love your loyalty, love your work. The cynics claimed you were done. "Retire, fool," they said last season. "Put a fork in Favre. His popper has popped."

Turns out they were the fools. They forgot you were part Choctaw, part '56 Chevy. You're having your greatest season yet, playing like a legend. And like a scrub who just appreciates the chance to suit up.

Sure, your wheels don't work like they used to. People forget that you have the same degenerative hip disease that permanently sidelined Bo Jackson. At 38, you can sprint with the kids for about three half-steps, then ... look out ... cruuuuuuunch. Those first steps on a Monday morning must really snap-crackle-pop. Talk about a working stiff. Welcome to the club.

When you're not at work, you're at home, just like the rest of us middle-aged saps. I'll bet she's already nagging you about all the Christmas junk, huh? Brett, can you bring those boxes up from the basement? Brett, how about hanging the outdoor lights on the birch tree? That sort of stuff. Like the rest of us, you don't need a holiday to remind you of your blessings.

Yep, you're us all right, and we couldn't be more thrilled. You don't like to miss work under any condition. It's just the way you were raised. A guy thing. You don't miss work. In almost 300 games, including two Super Bowls, you haven't missed a start. It is the sports stat of our time.

And we certainly don't mind your sense of craft, your safecracker's cool. One moment, you're zinging thunderbolts across the middle. The next you're looping 9-iron shots in the end zone. The laser bomb that beat the Broncos? Boom! Brilliant.

You're what we all hoped to become in the backyards of our youth. You play as if you're hanging with your pals, and the sun is setting and the moms are calling everyone home for supper. Come on, Brett, your buddies say. One more. One more series ...

Blanda. Nicklaus. Aaron. They all played their respective games a long time, gave us old-timers hope. Now you're our time machine, our fountain of goof.

Tonight you'll play the Dallas Cowboys, that little franchise down in Texas that has always given the Packers fits. How great is that, a Cowboys-Packers game that really matters? Lombardi will be watching from his skybox, barking out commands, wondering where the hell Hornung is.

Also cheering will be millions of gimpy guys a little past their prime for whom you've become this year's most compelling sports story. An inspiration. A Perseus in cleats.

So, come on, Brett. One more. One more series ...

Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007, 10:14:40 AM »
Nice article thanks for posting!
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2007, 10:30:46 AM »
I didn't see that the Zebras slanted the game.  I saw two calls that could have gone either way.  The first call where TO had the ball taken away on his first catch of the game -- could have gone the other way.  A blatant sold-out call by the officials?  I don't see it that way.  The second call was the long pass interference call where it could have been argued that incidental contact led to the Dallas receiver being tripped by the Green Bay defender.  That call could have gone the other way, but a blatant sold-out call by the officials?  Again, I didn't see it that way.  The plays I saw that seemed to strongly affect the game was, for example, Romo getting a first down when about 19 yards in the hole, but earning that first down wasn't the responsibility of the zebras.  Take the long pass interference call, even if that call goes the other way, what would the likely remainder follow on, wouldn't the Cowboys have just run another play and continued to march down the field?  Looked that way to me.

But everyone sees what they want to see, perhaps.  In this case I didn't find the officiating pushed the game overly one side or the other.  But I'm not a professional and this is only my opinion.

Yay Dallas!

Who was it who bet $1,000,000 on Green Bay above?  Who is going to extract the $$$ from him?

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2007, 10:47:56 AM »
you should come up and try it..... (pack a lunch and bring all your friends; send the little ones all at once and the big ones two at a time).

you have to be kidding me... the refs changed the entire pace of the game.   the cowboys could have been down 10-0 if not for the refs butcher job.   could have gone either way my eye.   you really want to take a win that way?   i wouldnt be happy.   i want my team to win because they played better, not because someone was paid off.  to each their own i guess.

Offline bulzaye

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 01:16:32 PM »
I used to coach 8th grade basketball for the girls team.  At practice after a loss, I used to love to hear the team say the refs screwed us. The refs are human and make mistakes, but that is why they initiated instant replay. But to cry wolf about tthe refs is something I expect from 8th graders not adults, but hey I may be wrong. I guess the obvious would be if these calls were reversed, would you feel better if the cowboys still dominated the game like they did last night? Calls or not the bottom line is the boys owned last night. I am normally not a braggard and in fact I complimented Brett Favre earlier in the posts here.  But get over yourself they pack lost the boys won bottom line.
Deceased 4/26/08 RIP Bob.

A country boy can survive

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2007, 01:56:41 PM »
WOOOOO......How 'bout them COWBOYS
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2007, 02:10:29 PM »
Maybe I'm behind the curve in responding to the Brett Favre items, but I read this this morning.  Almost brought a tear to my eye:

>>>>>
Nice Packer article from the LA Times

Chris Erskine:
Man of the House

Favre homage: on bended, creaky knee
November 29, 2007

NBC has "Bionic Woman." The NFL has Brett Favre, the bionic man. Guess which one is having the better season? I don't know what you're eating, Mr. Favre, but pass the candy dish.

You're maybe the last American hero. A postmodern DiMaggio. A Wyatt Earp. You're about 140 years old, with the smile of an 8-year-old and a gun like Zeus.

You do all the things the other superstars don't. You play in that city by the bay, an obscure little place with more chipmunks than people, more deer rifles than cellphones. Up there in northern Wisconsin, you don't ride in limos; they just send over Santa's sleigh.

You're us, which isn't so bad -- at least if you ask us. You're not some natty dude, a blingy gold-toothed Liberace. No three-pointed kerchief in your suit pocket, like the male mannequins back in the Fox studio. No sir. You wear your hair like the 18th green, short and fast. You could comb it with a golf towel.

Yep, we appreciate your sense of style -- the plain gray T-shirts and the faded jeans. You've got that same lovely wife you started with. Your beard's getting a little frosty, the jowls a little puffy, but she's stuck by you, that woman. Through your tough times. And you through hers.

Love your loyalty, love your work. The cynics claimed you were done. "Retire, fool," they said last season. "Put a fork in Favre. His popper has popped."

Turns out they were the fools. They forgot you were part Choctaw, part '56 Chevy. You're having your greatest season yet, playing like a legend. And like a scrub who just appreciates the chance to suit up.

Sure, your wheels don't work like they used to. People forget that you have the same degenerative hip disease that permanently sidelined Bo Jackson. At 38, you can sprint with the kids for about three half-steps, then ... look out ... cruuuuuuunch. Those first steps on a Monday morning must really snap-crackle-pop. Talk about a working stiff. Welcome to the club.

When you're not at work, you're at home, just like the rest of us middle-aged saps. I'll bet she's already nagging you about all the Christmas junk, huh? Brett, can you bring those boxes up from the basement? Brett, how about hanging the outdoor lights on the birch tree? That sort of stuff. Like the rest of us, you don't need a holiday to remind you of your blessings.

Yep, you're us all right, and we couldn't be more thrilled. You don't like to miss work under any condition. It's just the way you were raised. A guy thing. You don't miss work. In almost 300 games, including two Super Bowls, you haven't missed a start. It is the sports stat of our time.

And we certainly don't mind your sense of craft, your safecracker's cool. One moment, you're zinging thunderbolts across the middle. The next you're looping 9-iron shots in the end zone. The laser bomb that beat the Broncos? Boom! Brilliant.

You're what we all hoped to become in the backyards of our youth. You play as if you're hanging with your pals, and the sun is setting and the moms are calling everyone home for supper. Come on, Brett, your buddies say. One more. One more series ...

Blanda. Nicklaus. Aaron. They all played their respective games a long time, gave us old-timers hope. Now you're our time machine, our fountain of goof.

Tonight you'll play the Dallas Cowboys, that little franchise down in Texas that has always given the Packers fits. How great is that, a Cowboys-Packers game that really matters? Lombardi will be watching from his skybox, barking out commands, wondering where the hell Hornung is.

Also cheering will be millions of gimpy guys a little past their prime for whom you've become this year's most compelling sports story. An inspiration. A Perseus in cleats.

So, come on, Brett. One more. One more series ...

Very nice!! Makes me feel good about being a middle aged guy and a Packer/Brett fan

Cheese

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2007, 02:31:21 PM »
I don't like the cowboys and never will.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2007, 04:47:38 PM »
like i said before, even though the game went into the books as a win for dallas,  green bay was the real winners.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2007, 05:24:25 PM »
I didn't care who won as long as the Packers lost.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
I didn't care who won as long as the Packers lost.

As long as they beat the queens twice this year life is good.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2007, 06:15:13 PM »
I believe the term you have used in a previous thread was CRUSHED the vikings.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2007, 06:32:07 PM »
I believe the term you have used in a previous thread was CRUSHED the vikings.

Cheese

Yes I did  :D

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2007, 02:47:42 AM »
Green Bay should have won. Cowboys suck and if it wasn't for them doing what the Patriots do they wouldn't win. There just another one of the two cheating teams. Redskins about had the cowboys last week and would have if it wasn't for them cheating a few times.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline bulzaye

• Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2007, 02:50:56 AM »
Hey Myronman just curious if the game went the other way and someone complained the refs screwed dallas what would your response be?  myself I think it would be something like boo hoo

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2007, 05:00:51 AM »
Green Bay should have won. Cowboys suck and if it wasn't for them doing what the Patriots do they wouldn't win. There just another one of the two cheating teams. Redskins about had the cowboys last week and would have if it wasn't for them cheating a few times.

C'mon now 30-06man. The Cowboys didn't get to 10-1 by cheating. They're a better team than they have been in a long time....since they DOMINATED the NFL in the 90's (You know the Troy Aikman,Emmett Smith, Micheal Irving days)
Hope they play again and we'll see who's the better team
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Offline bulzaye

• Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2007, 05:10:09 AM »
like i said before, even though the game went into the books as a win for dallas,  green bay was the real winners.

Yes their qb got hurt the refs screwed them and their record is now 10-2  and they will not have home field advantage for the playoffs please enlighten me and tell me how they were the winners. Other than another  plane ride to texas what did they win?

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2007, 05:58:25 AM »
Sinks will beat them. You forget so did the skins in the early Gibbs days.

Rick

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2007, 07:23:43 AM »
Never could figure out why they got the title Americas Team? From what I have seem more folks hate them then like them. To me the only redeening quality they have is their cheerleaders.  ;)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2007, 09:36:09 AM »
Hey Myronman just curious if the game went the other way and someone complained the refs screwed dallas what would your response be?  myself I think it would be something like boo hoo

well i sure as hell wouldnt be proclaiming them to be the better team.  anyone who knows me knows that i am a very honorable person. just as green bay is an honorable team.  the refs stole that honor from the cowboys.   there are a few guys around here that know me and believe me,  crying in my beer isnt my style.   i will tell you how i see it,  and the way i see it not only did the refs rob the packers, they also robbed the cowboys; and every fan.   maybe green bay wouldnt have won,  perhaps dallas is the better team.  maybe not.     but now no one will ever get to see.   the ref's screwed us all, and i wouldnt be happy if they had interfered and g.b. would have gotten the 'paper' win.     

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2007, 09:37:16 AM »

Yes their qb got hurt the refs screwed them and their record is now 10-2  and they will not have home field advantage for the playoffs please enlighten me and tell me how they were the winners. Other than another  plane ride to texas what did they win?

again,  HONOR.   that used to mean something when i lived in texas. 

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2007, 09:39:04 AM »

C'mon now 30-06man. The Cowboys didn't get to 10-1 by cheating. They're a better team than they have been in a long time....since they DOMINATED the NFL in the 90's (You know the Troy Aikman,Emmett Smith, Micheal Irving days)
Hope they play again and we'll see who's the better team

no problem with aikman or emmit.   irving was a dope dealing bastard as well as half the rest of that felonous team.   

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2007, 09:43:25 AM »
 :D Well ya got me there but I'm always happy when the Packers lose.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
you must be a pretty miserable guy of late then,  huh?   dont worry.  karma will catch up with the cowboys.   they aint going anywhere.   

Offline bulzaye

• Avid Poster
  • How about them cowboys
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2007, 10:08:32 AM »
for a guy who doesnt cry in his beer your glass must be overflowing cuz that is all i hear wah wah the refs screwed us wah wah the packers won wah wah cowboys suck wah wah wah wah my beer is salty.  Man get over it.  You started this thread hoping the pack would win they didnt so be prepared to hear the other side it is a game in fact it is a business not even a game, and unless you have proof of a ref pay off that is simply more wah wah