Author Topic: pardner turkey lots of questions  (Read 465 times)

Offline sachel.45

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
pardner turkey lots of questions
« on: November 28, 2007, 05:04:30 PM »
I just picked up a pardner turkey the one with the fixed full choke and the camo stock anyways i got it mostly for coyote hunting but i have a few questions i picked up a couple boxes of #4 buckshot and i was wondering if it will hurt the choke? also i picked up a couple boxes of slugs same question. i'm pretty sure it won't but better safe than sorry also since this is mainly for coyotes whats the best way to pattern it? would paper plates works? i was thinking of putting them every 5-10 yards out to 50 yards last question whats an acceptable pellet count i don't want to wound the coyote. thanks sorry for all the questions
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: pardner turkey lots of questions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:33:56 PM »
That Pardner might shoot slugs much better than you think  ;)
I know mine does. Give it a try with several cheap brands of slugs, mine likes the Winchesters best but shoots ok with Rem sluggers too. I didn't try anything more expensive than that.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 06:56:30 PM »
I have one camo fixed full choke 24" barrel  will put  cheap  Winchester slugs in a 4"-5" group at 50 yards at point of aim all day long if your shoulder will stand it  that's shooting free hand not off a rest I have some winchester  double XX Magnum #4 buck  buffered  recoil is a bit stiff,  hard on groundhogs too!
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 01:19:18 AM »
Off of a bag rest I got 2" groups at 75 yds. last week. Good enough for deer for that 20 ga. Pardner. Now I need to see a good deer though....
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 12:20:15 PM »
I saw a GOOD deer.  About 4 o'clock postition behind my right shoulder and runnin' away.  So quick I didn't even get my Pardner shouldered. :'(  That's the only one I saw in 3 weeks of hunting.  Ah, well, maybe next year. ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 02:49:28 PM »
you saw one, in the woods, while you were hunting, your ahead of the game buddy, congratulations!!! Next year will be the ticket....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline just bill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 03:27:32 AM »
I just picked up a pardner turkey the one with the fixed full choke and the camo stock anyways i got it mostly for coyote hunting but i have a few questions i picked up a couple boxes of #4 buckshot and i was wondering if it will hurt the choke? also i picked up a couple boxes of slugs same question. i'm pretty sure it won't but better safe than sorry also since this is mainly for coyotes whats the best way to pattern it? would paper plates works? i was thinking of putting them every 5-10 yards out to 50 yards last question whats an acceptable pellet count i don't want to wound the coyote. thanks sorry for all the questions

I have the same gun.
The choke is a .695

Buckshot wont hurt it.

Full choke is not normally recommended for slugs although some use it.  Some smoothbore slugs are slightly smaller diameter than others.  Those are the ones that would likely shoot better from a full.

Plates work well if from a rest and your point of impact is known/on.  Other wise the standard is a large square of butchers paper.

I see no need to pattern every 5-10 yards.  25 & 40 or 50 should show all you need to know.

Note:  I temp. replaced my bead front site with a true glow type.  For buck shot type work the bead p.o.i. was better than the true glow.  The bead is back on for good now.

How many in a 8" pie plate needed is subjective.  All in a plate may not enter a vidal.  The more the better.

You may find it shoots the larger 00 buck better than the no. 4 in that choke.

I would stay away from the 3.5 shells as the 3" are much more user friendly ..........result may be better accuracy when aiming.   

BTW-  That gun doubles well as a home sec. gun for those whom need simple operation.  We had a instance a couple years ago on a stormy,snowy Friday night at 3am in the morning, at our country home.  The police were called in and it was obvious to them what the bad guys were attempting to do.  My wife never felt the same and I concluded I will never go to the door at 3am with out a shot gun again.  I consulted  with my police officer / swat team fishing pal and ultimately ended up with that gun, shell holder on stock, 5 high base #5 bird shot, in the closet from his recommendations.  My wife has little interests in guns but, she can work the Partner just fine as can my son.  By his recommendation we(me,wife, & kids)also conducted a what if type of scenario.  So, we have a basic idea of what to do if similar happened  again but actually carried out as the bad guys had intended.  To my surprise and relief my children were open and un-phased by the pre-drill.  This is because of what they are now taught/drilled in school if a bad guy enters.  Its not the ideal h.s. gun but with its easy operation and quick handleing it works and both my wife and son know and have tested its operation...........and most important she can remember it, where I am not sure she would have with a pump.  We also now have a nice big female choc. lab in home that barks deep and loud  ;).  That and the handi make my wife feel more secure when I am out of town.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 08:18:13 AM »
I have a 22" 12ga barrel in MOD choke with the same set up, a 20ga MOD choke with that set up and a 410 Tamer with full stocks on it and the addition of 4 slug shells to the holder.  All at the ready.  Never hurts to be prepared...  The only thing, I would like to get hold of a 22" Full choke barrel.  I think they only made it in 20ga youth turkey.  I should go back a couple years and check my old Barrel Accessory lists to see if its listed.  That's how I found out about the Tracker I barrels a couple years ago.

I spotted a 12ga full choke on the used rack at Gander this week for $90 .  Serial number was AZ so I passed on it.  Too old to get barrel fitted.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"