Author Topic: Texas man shoots burglars??  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Texas man shoots burglars??
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2007, 04:15:10 AM »
What "if" the sun doesn't come up tommorrow? I have never had the problem of distinguishing black for Vietnamese, or white from Vietnamese for that matter, and given the neighborhood Mr. Horn lived in, I doubt his intelligence level is so low, that he could not tell the difference.  That one is a reach. I think the discussion has reached the point of hypothesis which has little or no basis at this point. The LAW is as clear as a church bell, and to continue is a reminder of some, whom have left the website for refusing to educate themselves on the facts, which in this case is, Texas Law, and it's Castle Doctrine Law.
I have nothing else to add. The Law is what it is, and says what it says. Speculation is also just that,  "speculation". :)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2007, 04:41:19 AM »
I think most all who are so concerned over what his eventual status will be are neither from Texas nor from a state with a Castle Doctrine. You are trying to apply the law you are familiar with to a situation in Texas with a Castle Doctrine law same as Alabama here has. Not the same thing even remotely. For those of you in states with far too many liberals in control and no castle doctrine on the books I do feel for you but I'd not worry too much about the man in this case. He'll do just fine.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2007, 06:35:59 AM »
  Three cheers for Alabama then too ! They have some good sense there too !
  According to the news and tapes..these members of an organized house invasion gang did not stop when Mr. Horn ordered them to
  but kept moving across MR HORN'S lawn toward him.
   Now, some may not think these "erstwhile honest citizens" should have had to stop for any Mr Horn, but it would only take just a small
   amount of gray matter to realize that when you're caught in the midst of a crime by an angry homeowner and he has a 12ga pump leveled
   at you; ..you had best stop, freeze ..then work on the "details" later..  DUH !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2007, 08:19:13 AM »
WE CAN ONLY HOPE THE LAW SPREADS TO MY I MEAN OTHER STATES !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2007, 01:39:59 AM »
DEE
Not to pick at ya.
There are a number of folks from SA that are black as those from Africa---not typically Spanish or even Indian---black and they are often confused as Negroes--
All this is said in an effort to distinguish--not to degrade or slight---there is no effort to be racial or prejudiced.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2007, 02:59:10 AM »
my impression is we are all pulling for joe, some are concerned about some over zealous d.a. trying to make a name for themselves; that can and has happened.   hopefully not here.
  i saw on the news last night that a man helping pull a car out of the ditch was hit and killed by a drunk with a hispanic name.   i will bet the farm it was an illegal alien.  i am tired of it as well.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2007, 03:22:14 AM »
many different people came to the AMERICA"S , the ones that come into the USA illegal are just that ! if their home is Mexico then so be it , if some other country so what !
ILLEGAL is still illegal !
this country has made itself open to such abuse for way to long . the problem is some will be offended when it stops maybe as offended as those of us that are fed up with it !
maybe the 3 shots in Texas will be heard round the world ! and send a message of be legal or stay the hell home !

Offline Dee

« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2007, 03:06:29 PM »
DEE
Not to pick at ya.
There are a number of folks from SA that are black as those from Africa---not typically Spanish or even Indian---black and they are often confused as Negroes--
All this is said in an effort to distinguish--not to degrade or slight---there is no effort to be racial or prejudiced.
Blessings

I have given up trying to discuss surmising, as they are countless, and POINTLESS, and the perps color has about as much to do with this incident as much as to whether they wore boxers or briefs. The facts are what they are, and the law is what it is. This whole damn thing has turned into a "what if" discussion, instead of "what is".

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2007, 04:23:32 AM »
For many years, we as American have lived in a safe environment with little fear of being harmed.  This is no longer true today.  As a result, I am convinced the American people are becoming more aggressive in dealing with the criminal element, and in being more lenient with those who deal harshly with them.  There are still those pockets of liberals that condone and/or approve the unsociable behavior, but for the majority of us we see no problem in meeting force with force and eliminating those from society that can not/do not conform.

I personally hold any person in high esteem that has the guts to deal with the criminal element in the manner this man did.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2007, 05:24:43 AM »
rockbilly , don't take this personal please !
i live in a city that back in the 70's saw 200 + murders a year with less than 200000 people .
since the late 90's it has slowed somewhat around 60 this year ( but it ain't over yet ) .
when ever we went out we had to be on the look out for someone hurting us or robing us etc. This was before Gangs came to the area !
there is a shooting or stabbing every night except the nights there are more than one ! To be non politically correct the crime went down when concealed carry laws passed here ! PERIOD !
I feel safer today than i did 15 years ago . but i do carry now !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2007, 09:58:07 AM »
One of the problems is people of other cultures trying to blend---or not too blend,---as the case may be---into this established culture.
Our culture is foreign too many---that was a distinct play on words---and they cannot handle the culture yet.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dee

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2007, 10:22:56 AM »
The problem WL, is they don't want to adapt, they want US to change our culture to ACCOMDATE theirs. It is like the 40 + Muslims in Cactus Texas protesting and wanting Swift Meat Packing to CHANGE THE RULES, of the plant to fit THEIR schedule of praying 5 times a day. Cactus, Texas is about 99% Mexican. Perhaps, the Muslims should learn to eat, pork fahitas. >:(

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2007, 12:57:37 AM »
I don't think I ever disagreed with that.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Dee

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2007, 02:25:00 AM »
I don't know if I personally would kill over personal property, whether it be mine or some one else's. Guns, perhaps. I have had over the 20 years of my past career had many opportunities to kill, and would have been justified, but something in me told me the situation could be resolved with calmness, and to hold my fire. On just 2 occasions it was not this way, but they were the exception. It is not easy walking up and looking at what you have done, regardless of the circumstances. Most property can be replaced, but when is the real question, of "when do you draw the line", on lawlessness, and from foreigners yet?
These two bandits could have easily taken shelter and a hostage in another house in the neighborhood, when the police arrived, or escaped, to burglarize again, and perhaps find a family in the house, and who knows what would have happened.
Each event must be weighed by the home owner, damned be the armchair quarterbacks. Mr. Horn did what many do not have the sand to do. In a fight, talk truly is cheap. JMO 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2007, 03:45:08 AM »
Dee alot of people may be in for a shock when they meet their maker and find out alot of legal stuff will keep ya out of heaven !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2007, 04:47:14 AM »
Or doesn't!
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Chilachuck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2007, 04:53:55 AM »
Dee, when some thieves really are only interested in property (and how many hours of your life are they stealing when they take something?), but some are in predator mode and they regard stealing your stuff as preying on those they have contempt for.

The ones in predator mode will have no trouble in going on to killing their prey, you.

To change the subject slightly, John Ringo has another book coming out, basically a future history survival story. The back ground is that the bird flu gets loose, and we have a ditz for a President. Ringo has traveled to many countries and has met people of many different cultures and uses that in this story to describe what he thinks would happen, and why.

This is the chapter on trust, and why a civilization needs it:

<http://jiltanith.thefifthimperium.com/Collections/TheLastCenturionChapters/TheLastCenturion_05.php>

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2007, 05:21:24 AM »
williamlaton , true !
i was thinking about the laws that allow killing that don't fit what the Bible instructs .

Offline Dee

« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2007, 05:23:35 AM »
Dee, when some thieves really are only interested in property (and how many hours of your life are they stealing when they take something?), but some are in predator mode and they regard stealing your stuff as preying on those they have contempt for.

The ones in predator mode will have no trouble in going on to killing their prey, you.

To change the subject slightly, John Ringo has another book coming out, basically a future history survival story. The back ground is that the bird flu gets loose, and we have a ditz for a President. Ringo has traveled to many countries and has met people of many different cultures and uses that in this story to describe what he thinks would happen, and why.

This is the chapter on trust, and why a civilization needs it:

<http://jiltanith.thefifthimperium.com/Collections/TheLastCenturionChapters/TheLastCenturion_05.php>

Chilachuck, I believe that when someone breaks into you home, they have already made the decision that they are WILLING to have a physical confrontation with the occupants. This has to have already been decided, before the event. My own experience has shown me that countless times, and the most paramount thing that I noticed, in all  my years, is that those whom cry the loudest to kill the thief are seldom willing to take the step themselves. String him up has been screamed from the roof tops many times, but few will throw the rope over the limb, and put the noose on his neck.
My point is, I have had the opportunity MANY times over property (someone else's) and did not, and at my age am glad I didn't. BUT! I have also watched our society spiral downward, and feel that we have reached the point that there are more and more folks out there (bandits) that understand nothing else but, deadly force.
I found early in my career that when dealing with gang related incidences, that if you TOOK BY FORCE, the leader of the incident, the rest had a tendency to fall into line more quickly.
However, to kill over property would be a hard decision, and one I have made. Luckily for myself and the perpetrator HE made a good decision, and relieved us both of a tramatic experience. To kill in defense, is a given, and have been there, though the actors did not die, but the two reasons for deadly force (property vs defense) are not the same. At least not to me.
As for SHOOTALL's comment concerning our meeting our maker, I would contend that circumstances and INTENT, will play the role in that great meeting. I would contend here, that the lawyer and the banker, are going to have some explaining to do. Scripture will validate this thought, however that is another topic, and another forum.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2007, 05:32:40 AM »
you got what i was saying , if you kill because the law allows but in reality didn't need to, to protect yourself ya may have some splaining to do !
I to have had the opportunity to point a gun at an attacker , they chose to retreat ( for which i am thankful ) !
had they kept up the attack i would have defended myself !

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2007, 03:19:43 PM »
It is not a matter of doing what the law allows.
It is being able to do what is necessary.
Now, not making assumptions, but, I think that if someone were willing to break into my house OR my neighbors house He/She has already earned MY distrust---I should not have the need too allow this/these people to prove too me that they might hurt me--I would already be assuming that.
I am not going too give a guy a break just in case he wasn't going too hurt me.
I am going too assume he is a bad person---from the evidence--and I am not going too give him the chance get over on me.
You do it your way----first time is shame on you and the second time is shame on me.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2007, 05:46:54 PM »
After seeing the Texas statutes on TV it seems this man is well within the laws of Texas. I think he did a good thing in taking down those animals and saving the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of dollars. I hope that if the authorities in Teaxas do not charge him or the people find him not guilty. That the Fed's don't charge him with that civil rights violation crap.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2007, 01:13:48 AM »
Pasadena passed an ordnance prohibiting the gathering and demonstration in residential areas.
I really don't know if that would stand up---but until someone with dollars too spend wants to test it that is the way it is.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2007, 01:51:38 AM »
I figured the break would be you not living with murdering a person that presented no threat to you with regard to inflicting death and bodily harm .
guess some are blood thirsty and others not willing to forgive , unless my life is in danger can't see a need to murder someone as it is not defense anymore just an execution !
the guy in Texas had a right to confront the theft's and had they faced him and presented no threat then in my opinion he should have held them for police , had they come at him or refused to drop weapons he was justified IMHO ! that is the code i live by , please don't consider it mandatory that anyone else live by it !

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2007, 03:07:26 AM »
every injustice should be confronted , and if punishment is justified so be it , just don't be judge and jury unless given no other choice !

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2007, 06:52:53 AM »
  TM7;
      Yes: you would be justified would not only be justified in confronting such a lawbreaker, but for he good of society, you should confront them if someone else has not already done it ! I do know what you are aiming at and have no more sympathy for a corporate crook than I do for a neighborhood crook.

In this case however, it was matter of urgency !Too often, even when not intended, nefarious individuals being surprised when involved in a crime such as home invasion, burglary etc., kill or maim the innocent home owner .
  The righteously indignant man probably did not know for sure whether his neighbor was fine, or lying in the kitchen in a spreading pool of blood ! Then these same two villians started to approach him..he gave them a chance to "freeze"..but they refused to cooperate.

All crime should be punished, but the crime you use as an example can be handled through the court system, simply because that crime is most often discovered "after the fact"..and can be processed at a more docile pace..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2007, 10:37:44 AM »
those with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ get away with more !
money talks and BS walks or dies in Texas

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2007, 01:04:23 PM »
Just for the record Shootall.
Would you have him/me/anyone just stand there and do nothing??
At what point and what distance would/should one allow for this confrontation to be a defensible point/distance?
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2007, 01:26:17 PM »
I'm just glad they are dead and can do no more wrong!
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2007, 06:16:04 PM »
Anyone know if they were armed?

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein