Author Topic: Texas man shoots burglars??  (Read 5481 times)

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
Texas man shoots burglars??
« on: November 29, 2007, 03:22:59 AM »
Just wondering what any body's thoughts are, on the neighbor in Pasadena,TX., that shot the 2 burglars. I believe that if that would have taken place here in Ohio, they would hang him out to dry. Since there was apparently no threat to him personally, and he went out of his house to confront the thieves, he put himself into danger. Not sure if Texas has a ''Castle Doctrine'' law in effect or not.
From the reports, the perps were on his property, havn't heard if they had threatened him or not. This is going to be a tough one to call. Glad I'm not on the grand jury. I don't think I could find him guilty of any thing. And I know the race card is going to play out here, as it looks from the reports, he is white, and the burglars were black.   gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Texas man shoots burglars??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 03:38:26 AM »
I don't know the laws there now but I think it was in the mid 1980's in Texas you could shoot trespassers. I remember reading something about a repo man coming to retrieve a car and was shot dead and the man was not charged. Like I said I don't know the laws now but it would be a bad career choice to be a repo man in Texas in the 80's. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 04:33:31 AM »
We do have the "Castle Doctrine" in place here in Texas.  It is a fine piece of legislation.  So that guy in Pasadena should be fine.  There's a gentleman in the Dallas area that had his home/business broken in to approximately 40 times over the course of this year.  Last month he shot and killed two burglars in the span of 3 weeks.  The Dallas Police sided with the business owner.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 07:56:14 AM »
now i have one more reason to like TEXAS !!!!!!!!!!!
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:12:25 AM »
We do have the "Castle Doctrine" in place here in Texas.  It is a fine piece of legislation.  So that guy in Pasadena should be fine.  There's a gentleman in the Dallas area that had his home/business broken in to approximately 40 times over the course of this year.  Last month he shot and killed two burglars in the span of 3 weeks.  The Dallas Police sided with the business owner.

Every State should have that legislation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 09:49:12 AM »
Good citizen. Look at all the money he saved the state. Trial. Defense lawyers. Appeals ad infinitum. Housing. Food. "Rehab". Man ought to get a medal. Or at least a bounty. 

Offline jgalar

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 03:07:12 AM »
LIsten to the shooting as it happens then decide.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6xBVkKqDzI

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 06:32:31 AM »
This will be a real test of the new Texas law.  My only problem with the shooting is the telephone call.  Had he not made the call and taken the action he did I don't think a jury in the state would say anything but a justified shooting.  The recorded phone call and conversation with the 911 dispatched may throw a different light on the case.  However, if it were left to me to decide, I would say a job well done!

If he is not charged this should send a strong message to thieves in the state.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 06:35:17 AM »
Born and raised here in Texas. 20 year L.E. (retired). I'll bet he walks, and rightly so. They used to hang horse theives and nobody thought anything about it. Castle is WAY over due here, and should be law EVERY WHERE. JMO
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 06:44:52 AM »
why was the response time so slow ?
and a thief is a thief .........................................................................................

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 07:41:32 AM »
Well, now he gets to find out if his neighbor's stuff was worth rolling the dice with a grand jury. 

The 911 call won't bode well for him.
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 07:46:35 AM »
Well no matter his fate we will know some of the ground rules involved , and the crook won't be any more trouble !

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 10:41:09 AM »
I heard -- which may be untrue, I don't know -- that the guy warned the burglars to stop and halt and that they did not stop and made a threatening move towards him.  I would give the shooter the benefit of the doubt under these circumstances, even in the presence of the 911 call.  I have precious little symapathy or consideration for burglars.  They are vermin.  I accord them slightly more consideration than I do to ticks or horseflies, but not much.  We are well rid of these burglars.  I live in Texas.  If I were a juror, I would have a very friggin' hard time casting a vote to find the shooter guilty under the circumstances I have heard described, regardless of what crap a prosecutor told me in his legal orders to the jury.  I hear this guys neighbors are very pleased with the action the shooter took.  Let him be judged by the folks in his neighborhood.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 01:04:29 AM »
AWF HAND
That  "stuff" is personal property and money--it belongs too someone not too them.
He did the community and state a favor--he defended it.
His actions are not yet decided on by the DA.
I had an event the other night and called 911 with some chest pains--as usual a police officer was the first too arrive--while waiting for the EMC folks I asked him about the man and the incident. He said he thought everything would work out and that the general consensus was that the man was trying too do the right thing.
No problems with the chest--just indigestion--to much turkey day celebrating.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Guy Pike

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 04:58:30 PM »
Some one individual stood up and acted like a man even when advised not to by a dispatcher. Good show.
You can't beat a Cerberus!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 03:02:05 AM »
if and when this case goes to trial the jury will set the record as to what is OK in Texas , should be interesting !

Offline ms

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 04:00:06 AM »
Two less sob good job.

Offline Dee

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 06:17:10 AM »
This case won't go to trial, it will go to GRAND JURY, and that will be the end of it. All the DA has to prove is intent on the behalf of the burglars and they are paid for in Texas.
This isn't the first time this sort of thing has happened down here, just the first time so many have heard about it.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 06:29:58 AM »
good for ya'll !
let the world hear more !

Offline Awf Hand

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 07:01:13 AM »
AWF HAND
That  "stuff" is personal property and money--it belongs too someone not too them.
He did the community and state a favor--he defended it.
His actions are not yet decided on by the DA.
I had an event the other night and called 911 with some chest pains--as usual a police officer was the first too arrive--while waiting for the EMC folks I asked him about the man and the incident. He said he thought everything would work out and that the general consensus was that the man was trying too do the right thing.
No problems with the chest--just indigestion--to much turkey day celebrating.
Blessings

I fully understand the situation that he addressed and I'm pleased that these two creeps are off the streets.  I agree that he did well to defend his neighbors property, BUT, in my state (where we don't even have CCW permitting) I would go to jail for trying to protect my neighbor's property by use of deadly force. 
I'm curious to see if this guy overstepped his bounds by acting contrary to the 911 dispatcher's "advice", and went outside of his home.  The DA will decide that.

Dee says that this will go Horn's way.  I hope he's right.

I also hope that Horn can sleep at night and remains alright psychologically.  Justifiable shootings still take a tremendous toll on a man.

Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline Dee

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 07:19:12 AM »
Yes Awf Hand, they do take a toll, however, I am proof that life goes on. I have in the past 58 years met several folks that NEEDED shootin. Although he will suffer the trauma, he knows what he did was right, and there is the difference. The dispatcher's advice however, was for the shooter's safety, and had nothing to do with the law in Texas.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 07:58:48 AM »
Dee, I have to agree with the comment about meeting people that NEED SHOOTING!  I have met a few of them myself!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 02:53:32 AM »
I once read an article written by an Englishman that had been in a meeting with Hitler just weeks before Germany attacked France , he had slipped in a small pistol and had it in his pocket . He had first intended ti kill Hitler but did not !
The article was written later in his life and he said he had lived with the knowledge he could have changed world suffering had he completed his mission .
I guess when one confronts evil the choice is a difficult one no matter your choice , thank God we have those that have the strength to make those choices when called upon ! The world is better off with out evil even if it manifest itself in human form !

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 03:24:37 AM »
Well, haven't heard anything yet on what's happening with this case. I know if I was on the grand jury, I would vote to give him his gun back, reimburse him for the ammo, and send him home with a thank you. But like I said in the first post, real glad it didn't happen here in Ohio!!  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 03:36:35 AM »
Here in Massachusetts you'd damn well be able to prove that your life was being threatened or you'll be in a world of you know what. If someone breaks in your house you can't even hold him at gunpoint 'til the cops get there....the way the laws are written you have to let him leave. Nice laws huh?
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Offline Dee

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 03:38:15 AM »
Depending on case load, and the number of grand juries in one jurisdiction, it (the grand jury) usually meets once or twice a month. It ain't gonna happen over night. Patience.

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2007, 04:58:51 AM »
When the old Man in Dallas shot the second Burglar, i guess the police took his shotgun
until the investigation was over. One of the local B---ch MEDIA news LADIES followed the
man until he went in a store and bought another shot gun then she belittled him on camera
for buying another shotgun. Wish some one would have pimpslaped her.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 10:39:25 AM »
HEY DEE , was that old gentleman just shooting a round of TEXAS FELONY SKEET or what ?

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 10:50:18 AM »
o'rielly covered it today, more to follow tonight on the o'rielly factor.    i hope mr. horn is holding up well.   

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 10:55:50 AM »
Orielly is a loud mouth , that feels we need more gun control !
excuse me for not falling all over myself at his opinion ! He has some good points at times which i concede but when guns are involved i tend to not embrace his thoughts as one can't trust a man bent on gun control !