Author Topic: New Owner, Thanks to GBO  (Read 1125 times)

Offline usmc2111

• Trade Count: (1)
New Owner, Thanks to GBO
« on: November 29, 2007, 02:13:23 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for helping make up my mind. After reading the range reports of the CVA Optima Elite ML/CF, I went tonight and bought a .243Win. It should be here at the end of next week. So please be patient with me because I will be asking alot of questions about loads. ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New Owner, Thanks to GBO
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 02:15:30 PM »
Congrats, range report manditory, ya know!! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline usmc2111

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 01:36:16 PM »
Just received my Elite. But there is a problem. Tried to mount the scope base to but the base screws that I used in my Rossi will not fit. To small. Does anyone know screw size for this. Wanted to get it going for tomorrow so I could go shoot some. Or does anyone know what package at WallyWorld would fit this.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 02:05:27 PM »
It takes the same as the Optima, Kodiak, Wolf, Winchester Apex, and New Frontier Beartooth, you'll want a one-piece base, the two-piece are real close together.

Tim

http://durasight.com/z2_alloy/scope_bases.html

http://www.grafs.com/product/162713

http://www.grafs.com/product/162714

Offline usmc2111

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 08:08:01 AM »
Thanks again Quick. Problem was that they drilled the scope holes before they finished the barrel. Some of the finish was in the threads. Carried it to a shop and had them run a tap in it and the screws went in perfect. So now hopefully I can get to shoot it tomorrow or this weekend. Will post when done. A question about ammo, has anyone tried the Win 100grn PSP in their .243. If so how well do they pattern?

Offline usmc2111

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 12:40:22 PM »
Well got to shoot today. Started at the 25. 1st group about 4" high and 3" right measured about 1-2". Dialed on the scope and dead center second group measured about 1-2". Backed up to 100yds. 3rd group high about 2-3" and measured about 2" also. Not bad for shooting off the hood of the truck. So for the Win ammo I have to say not to bad for factory stuff. Will be carrying it out on Sat for the bench. And will also try the Rem 100 grn SP. Overall very happy with today and how this little rfle shoots. Will post again after Sat shooting session.   ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 12:44:37 PM »
It will only get better from now on. ;)

Thanks for the update!

Tim

Offline usmc2111

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 01:09:39 PM »
Well got out today to make sure the scope was set. Got to our lease and started setting up when we heard some dogs coming our way. My son(9) was with me. We started walking towards one of our stands when a doe popped out about 90 yds from us across a cornfield. Handed my son the rifle for him to shoot. Soon as he got it the deer ran back in the woods. We set there for a second and it came back out running right towards us. I had to scream at it to get it to stop. It finally stop about 35-40yds out looking straight at us. My son aim right for the chest and shot. Deer ran about 40 yds in the woods and piled up. First deer ever. I almost cried I was so happy. So as far as the scope being set, it was. Got home showing momma the deer when all of the sudden I hear something hit the floor. Yep, you guessed it. The rifle got knocked off a table it was laid on. Straight on the front of the scope. So now its back to the drawing board. But it still didnt ruin my day. ;D ;D ;D

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 01:17:59 PM »
Congrats on the deer and thats bad about the scope though.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 01:21:23 PM »
Congrats to your son and you, that's great!!  ;)

Too bad about the scope, but hopefully it didn't hurt it too much, sometimes they'll take a beating and still work fine, just need to be zeroed again.

Tim

Offline oldrookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 02:53:23 PM »
Well got out today to make sure the scope was set. Got to our lease and started setting up when we heard some dogs coming our way. My son(9) was with me. We started walking towards one of our stands when a doe popped out about 90 yds from us across a cornfield. Handed my son the rifle for him to shoot. Soon as he got it the deer ran back in the woods. We set there for a second and it came back out running right towards us. I had to scream at it to get it to stop. It finally stop about 35-40yds out looking straight at us. My son aim right for the chest and shot. Deer ran about 40 yds in the woods and piled up. First deer ever. I almost cried I was so happy. So as far as the scope being set, it was. Got home showing momma the deer when all of the sudden I hear something hit the floor. Yep, you guessed it. The rifle got knocked off a table it was laid on. Straight on the front of the scope. So now its back to the drawing board. But it still didnt ruin my day. ;D ;D ;D

Congrats on the new purchase and the experience you had with your son. That is a great story. Sorry about the scope and hopefully it will still work. I had my optima slide off the side of a shooting table and my prostaff got a couple of nicks in it. Bore sighted it and fortunately have been back in business ever since. When are you going to try the muzzleloader?

Offline usmc2111

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 05:03:19 AM »
You was right Quick and Oldrookie. Took it out yesterday and shot a few rounds thru it and its still 1" high at a 100. So its off this Sat for another hunt but with my daughter(11) this time. Hopefully the .243 luck continues with her. Will post back with the results. I'm looking at getting the ML this spring if all works out. Main reason for the .243 was for the kids. Now its time for me some barrels. ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 05:49:30 AM »
Good luck!! ;)