Author Topic: Versatillity: AO vs. Non AO for my 10/22T  (Read 382 times)

Offline finisher

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Versatillity: AO vs. Non AO for my 10/22T
« on: November 30, 2007, 01:16:45 AM »
I would like to try shooting single hole bulls eyes at 50 ft.*, 25yrds.*, & 50yrds.*, with my 10/22T but would still like to reach out and touch tin cans(very small juice cans under 4inches tall) and .22 silhouettes at 100yrds.** and as far back as the rifle, ammo, and myself are capable.
A. Is 9X or 7X  enough to punch bulls eyes at the shorter ranges with 20/20 vision.( I know I can hit the cans at 100+yrds. with less)       
B. Can I get away with using a non-AO 9X or 7X scope at these short ranges. Should it be a rimfire scope set at 50-60yds or a CF scope [hr set at 100yrds?  Will either of these do what I'm asking without any paralax  at the short or longer ranges I have specified.               
I want a Leupold but I don't want the AO price tag.  I have the Weaver 3x9X32 rimfire AO in mind as a cheaper AO alternative but if I can get a  Leupold non-AO that can suit my needs at a similar price I'd rather do that.  This will not be a hunting rifle, just a short range* target and long range** .22 plinker.     Also, I'd like to keep the mounting low so 36mm and under I think. Thanks CM

Offline TheOpticZone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Re: Versatillity: AO vs. Non AO for my 10/22T
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 05:47:55 AM »
If you are going to shoot at very short distances such as 50ft, I would highly recommend an AO scope. You are going to have problems with parallax with a 50 yard and especially on a 100 yard parallax setting scope.  If will be a lot more accurate with the AO for your situation.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline finisher

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Versatillity: AO vs. Non AO for my 10/22T
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 09:46:03 PM »
Does this mean that with a non-AO set at 50yrds. I should have paralax free shooting at 50 yrds and even 100yrds. or even beyond that?    I guess what I'm trying to figure out exactly is what are my paralax free range parameters with any given setting like 50 or 100yrds on a fixed objective scope. Or what ranges ,short or long, can I get away with.   I'd like to compromise in price with a fixed AO Leupold.  I dont have to be as close as 50ft.  but is a 7X or 9X enough power for bulls eyes at 50yrds. and how much further can I shoot without paralax.   Is there such a thing as a 100yrd. rimfire target?   If an AO is my only 100% solution I will have to compromise with a Weaver which I understand are very good for the money and seem to be the only maker priced somewhat between the AO Leupolds  and the AO lower ends( a little leery of bushnels, tasco etc.).  But I would still like to know if,  for my intended,  purposes, can I get away with the less expensive fixed objective Leupold 2x7 rimfire  or a 3x9  CF. And as I said before,  I dont need to be as close as 50ft.  but 50yrds and beyond would be nice.   I would like this to be the first and last scope that I'll ever have to put on this rifle.