Author Topic: A change of pace...smell the coffee..  (Read 1720 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
A change of pace...smell the coffee..
« on: December 01, 2007, 04:46:55 AM »

I enjoy my coffee..but I have not used the "instant" variety of coffee in years, preferring the rich, full bodied flavor of the "real thing".

Perhaps however, I am out of date....

Is there an instant coffee out there that really rivals the flavor of "fresh brewed" ?

Another recent observation:

I drank Folger's Classic for years..but for some time after Hurricane Katrina hit, I couldn't find the stuff, so I used a little of this and a little of that..until Folger's Classic returned..

Perhaps it is just me, but the Folger's flavor I liked did not seem to be there anymore...Is it "just me" ?

I am presently using Maxwell House (Columbian)..this is not a put-down of one or an endorsement of the other..just the way it strikes me !

What say you to both questions ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline popgun

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: A change of pace...smell the coffee..
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 05:02:09 AM »
Folgers now makes several different blends. I think originally they made a 100% Colombian, but now they have everything from a mild breakfast blend to a dark roast. There is a little chart on the bottom of the label which tells how strong or weak it will be. I'm still trying to figure them out.

I remember a while back after surgery NO coffee tasted good. Bad news for a coffee junkie!

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 05:21:32 AM »

I bought the same thing again (I thought) it was called "Classic"..

But who knows,I may have been gotten some "special roast" by accident .

I think the term "special roast" is another way of saying, " oh,oh..we burned it !"...LOL
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 05:28:07 AM »
You might want to try the Folger's Coffee Singles (like tea bags).  You can get them in several size boxes, 19 and 38, I think.  Anyway, I think they make a better cup of coffee than the drip variety.  Although they aren't truely "instant"  it's close, and the singles are a good option to making a whole pot if you just want one cup.  Maxwell House and Fred Meyer have the same thing, but I think the Folger's tastes best.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 11:12:11 AM »
  TM7;

Thanks, that's about what I was looking for. Those little jars of instant coffee are rather costly, and with so many brands it could run into quite a few bucks before I
    find the one that is good.  That's where my Scottish heritage shows through !...LOL

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 12:53:26 PM »
You couldn't pay me to drink brewed coffee. The ONLY coffee I drink is Taster's Choice instant. Over the years I've sampled a lot of brewed coffees and have to say I'd as soon dip up a cup of muddy water from a puddle in the woods as to drink any of it I've tasted yet.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 03:44:33 PM »
Hey GB, just give me a call if you're coming by and I can fix you up. Do you want that cup from above or below where the cattle water?   ;)
I think Krogers 100% Columbian is as good as Folgers 100% Columbian and is a couple of bucks cheaper.  When we're camping we use the fool out of those Folgers coffee singles. 

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 03:52:33 PM »
  Sure sounds like the Taster's choice is the one to try..any special variety..or just the one with the red & white label ?

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 03:59:04 PM »
You couldn't pay me to drink brewed coffee. The ONLY coffee I drink is Taster's Choice instant. Over the years I've sampled a lot of brewed coffees and have to say I'd as soon dip up a cup of muddy water from a puddle in the woods as to drink any of it I've tasted yet.

Man, you make me think I am missing something, I will try it!!!
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 04:19:01 PM »
I guess I've tried all their special flavor blends but the plain jane original to me is still the best of them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 04:23:05 PM »

You cannot be drinking that scalded, burn-up mud that they serve at fast foods or service stations. It will make you retch!
What you have to do is to purchase a peculator. Mine is a 70's model in the autumn harvest color. Found it at a yard sale after my 50's stainless model quit.
Once you get your water amount and coffee measure worked out, you will be making the best coffee in the world and you can be sure that I will be down for some.
A bunn type coffee (auto drip) can be ok but you may have to acquire a taste for it.
A drink of instant coffee will nauseate you after drinking peculator coffee.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 05:41:52 PM »
+1 on the Taster's Choice.

For brewed coffee we've been on a Duncan Donuts coffee kick.  We just really enjoy their blend.  Another one that's good is the Breakfast Blend from the Independence Coffee Co.  They are a small operation somewhere around College Station, but it's good stuff.  They have another blend called Jet Fuel.  It was okay, but a little too bold for the wife - I thought it was okay.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 02:48:31 AM »
Glancebamm, You are right hard to beat perculated coffee. real STRONG yeah. But for backpack hunting I go with the tasters choice instant. Now for canoe hunting I ll pack the perculator
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline jhm

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 05:04:51 AM »
I tried that so called instant coffee one and never got the hang of getting the water in my mouth FAST enough to mix with that stuff before it started MELTING away, I will take perked folgers anyday that other stuff someone named snuff coffee years ago and I think they were right.   JIM

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 08:20:08 AM »
We get our coffee from the Fair trade thingy via the Presbyterian Church.  Payment goes to the farmers and not the middlemen.

Its all pretty good, but I like it stiff as a board with a little cream.

A couple years back I went to Brazil on a mission trip and brought a little coffee back.  First I got sacked by Customs cause they thought I was smuggling drugs.  Finding none, they wanted to nail me for import for distribution.  But when two pastors and a bunch of elders are prepared to swear that I had 20 some kilos of coffee for personal use, they backed off.

Hi my name is Jeff, and I am a coffee addict.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 09:53:22 AM »
  Ho ho ho;
    Jeff that is quite a story..talk about bearucratic bungling..those inspectors could sure "smell the coffee"..but probably would have let a bomb pass right on through.. LOL

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 10:00:40 AM »
I have never met a cup of Joe I didn't like.
I once drank Community coffee boiled in a pan in swamp water.
Maxwell house is my fav--but coffee is coffee and I won't reject any.
I drink coffee when I can't fall asleep--mostly those Folgers packs--puts me at ease and asleep quickly.
You should see me type without coffee.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 01:06:55 PM »

I suppose most of us, I like my "cup of Joe" inordinately well !

The best tasting cup of coffee I can recall ever having...probably wasn't actually great tasting coffee.

It was while was in the Army.. I had just finished a cold, wet stint in the field..at least 24 hours without sleep. I arrived in the bivouac area, ready to
  hit the sack. As I slouched past the mess tent, the aroma hit me !
       Now, up until that time..I was no big coffee drinker, but I was drawn into the mess tent by that aroma ! There I spied that 5 gallon (mess hall sized) stock pot !

It sat solidly upon that low fuel burner..bubbling away, with a frothy, grounds filled topping...I grabbed the canteen cup that was hanging on the pot handle, pushed some Hershey-colored froth aside and dipped in..then filled my canteen cup...

Oooh!..just what I needed...I slept well with that strong coffee warming my belly....LOL

Do you recall your "best cup of Joe"?   Tell us about it !

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 01:12:47 PM »
Glancebamm, You are right hard to beat perculated coffee. real STRONG yeah. But for backpack hunting I go with the tasters choice instant. Now for canoe hunting I ll pack the perculator

I guess that if one is really hardy, they will boil the coffee in an open top can placed near the fire. When done, an added cup of cold water will supposedly settle the grounds to the bottom.
After ya fool with this for a while, you usually end up punting the whole mess out into the woods ;D
I use a perculator on the trail like you do. I opt for a coleman stove rather than the fire though.

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 02:34:31 PM »
    It sat solidly upon that low fuel burner..bubbling away, with a frothy, grounds filled topping...I grabbed the canteen cup that was hanging on the pot handle, pushed some Hershey-colored froth aside and dipped in..then filled my canteen cup...

A poet too?

I've had a lot of memorable cups, but its hard to beat a steel canteen cup filled with hot java, the smell, the steam literally fogging your eyes and freezing to your mustache, the sting of the cup against your numb fingers.

Hard to forget those moments.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 02:42:47 PM »
Best cup a joe??  First elk hunt about 10 years ago Colorado. First day at 10,000 ft 45 degrees & raining . Between myself or my buddy, we figured we were both borderline hypothermic. Got on the radio & decided to meet at the trail we just came off from. We set up a poncho hooch. Pulled out the cookstove & canteen cups, Drank coffee spiked with hot cocoa . Laughing at how green we were when it comes to the mountains. Theres been many more poncho hooches since then. But that one sticks out the most. Jay

P.S. Ive  used the same canteen cup for at least 15yrs. Glad to see Im not the only one That uses them 
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 11:50:18 AM »
I turned into a wuss years ago. My coffee is like my vodka or gin. Since I dilute it, and don't drink it straight, why buy the best or most expensive. I put one of the flavored creamers in my coffee for years, Hazelnut,French Vanilla or Buttered Pecan.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 01:05:52 PM »
I use the Folger's singles dailey. Goooooooooood coffee. The rest of the time? PERCULATOR! Canteen cup? Hell yes! Don't get no better.
Most memorable cup? When ever I get a chance me and Huff (my Jack Russell huntin buddy) will go to the woods, I build a fire, make a cup or two, and lean up against a tree, with a Winchester across my lap. Mostly never fire a shot, but a good cup of coffee, and a good Winchester lever, just go good together. Relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax. ;)
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 05:24:04 PM »
Dang IG you tell a good story.  I'm craving a cup of the stuff right now.  While I've had many a good cup the one that sticks out was about 4 years ago.  I was hunting deer out by Laredo.  That year we had one of the strongest cold fronts come through that part of the country.  There had been a full moon the night before so the deer weren't moving.  We finally cried uncle and headed back to camp.  As we thawed we lit up a good stogie which just added to the experience.

That Christmas was my first white Christmas and I was in south Texas of all places.  That year we even had snow on the beach at South Padre Island.

Offline popgun

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 04:49:49 AM »
There was an instant I liked when we visited relatives in southern IN called Louzianne(SP?). It was blended with chicory and I used to stock up and bring it back. I haven't seen it up here in MN. I'm not too excited about most of the instants I've tried.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 06:29:44 AM »
There are one or two good coffee stories in my life--the best??
In '66, before pagers and cell phones, I had a weekend phone duty as an insurance adjuster in New Orleans. We covered the lower end of Louisiana from below Baton Rouge--lotta swamp-little land.
It was about 10:30 on a Friday night.
The phone rang and it was from one our insureds in Houma. They were oil well techs and one of the hands had drowned coming back from a rig inspection in the swamps.
I picked up the gear and trudged to Houma---arrived about 1 AM.
Went too the inquest til about 3 AM. Made arrangements to get copies and a ride too the rig.
Just by chance there was a crew boat going out about 4:30 Am--It was also helpful that it was the same crew that had been on the crew boat when the drowning took place.
The crew boat is just a glorified tug and that night it had been transporting the barge which supported the testing truck in which the victim and his partner were riding when the accident happened.
I got on the boat with the crew--all of them Cajun SOB's suddenly--all of a sudden--dang it all--couldn't speak a word of English. Only that broken French would come from their mouths---had to resort to an interpreter to do my interviews.
I was tired--not a bit too happy.
I wish I could have kept those tapes--now. I would cherish the laugh I could get from listening too those interviews.
We got too the rig about 7:30 AM and I trudged off to find the boss.
He offered me some coffee---I cried from happiness.
THEN---this is an honest tail--he threw a bucket into the swamp and pulled it up----Boys, it was green on top-- and poured it into a pan.
Into the water was a handful of Chicory Community coffee.
When it had boiled I drank a cup of coffee that kept me awake for the better part of two days.
It was GOOD coffee and sustained life within me.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 08:14:54 AM »
  William;

I recall that chicory Community coffee, having worked out of Beaumont.. l(lived in Vidor)..late 60s-early 70s...

I did high painting..NO..not painting while high !..LOL..But painting tanks, towers, bridges etc.  Did a lot of refinery work.

I recall going through Houma to Franklin and working at  painting oil collecting tanks for Texaco etc..

Just as you said..more water than land..no use drilling a well, it would be brackish anyway ! Folks raised there were brought up on roof runoff water .

Although we usually filled our Igloo cooler at a store in the morning, there were times when we drank the roof runoff water.

....And before you ask..yes, the birds rested on the ridge of the pumping station roof, just like any other roof !...LOL

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 09:03:54 AM »
We had a tank out at the barn that caught the runoff from the barn roof.  That's what we drank, since the well had sulfur in it.

My Grandma taught me to take a handful of Arbuckles and throw it in a pot of boiling water, then let it boil for a few minutes.  Take it off the fire and throw a dash of cold water in to settle the grounds and then pout a cup.  Scoop in a spoon of sugar, drink it while it's scalding hot.  Then the old cowboys I worked and hunted with in New Mexico also made it that way.  That may be one of the reasons I was accepted so readily by them, I knew how to make coffee like they did.  And did not turn my nose up when they offered me coffee the first morning.

Maybe that's why I no longer drink coffee, can't find Arbuckles any more.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 01:09:08 PM »
  I've seen those old Arbuckles cans around, but haven't seen any fresh Arbuckles anywhere.

When I was working down on the Gulf Coast as I mentioned in my last post, I used to drink SEAPORT brand coffee..out of New Orleans, I belieive..

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 11:41:22 AM »

Hey Guys;

I just bought my first jar of instant coffee in about 20 years..and it has been about that long since I've tasted any !

Took the advice of GB and several others here and got some Taster's Choice (red, original)...

Just tried some ......THAT IS GOOD STUFF !!!                             Thanks again..I'll probably use some from now on..