Author Topic: Knight rolling block  (Read 1041 times)

Offline shilo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Knight rolling block
« on: December 01, 2007, 10:20:01 AM »
Haven't heard much about this one. Anyone have one? What do you think of them? Good points? Bad points? How do they compare to an Omega?

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Knight rolling block
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 09:32:48 AM »
I've got the blued,synthetic one.  Love how it handles and balances.  Trigger is pretty decent too, maybe 4-5 lb pull, crisp, not too much over-travel.  The barrel is TIGHT.  I mean really tight at the muzzle.  I've got a Disc Elite and thought that it had a tight muzzle until I got the Rolling Block.  It's very hard to load most sabot-ed bullets.  The only ones so far that loaded without extreme effort are Buffalo Bullet SSB's.  Knight, T/C, Hornady sabots were all very hard to load.  It seems to be more finicky than my Elite.  If I don't spit patch between shots and load 100 gr of powder or less, the groups open up pretty wide.  75 yds is the longest I can get where I do my sight in work, it shoots 1-2" with the moderate loads.  Anything over 100 gr of powder opens up to 4-6" or more.  I need to try some conicals in it, on another forum I am a member of, many guys report good results with conicals.  I also think that the lock time may affect my groups, as I've noticed that I have to really follow through on my form or the groups go pretty wide too.

Compared to the Omega (I had one of those too), it feels more solid to me.  The stocks are much better than T/C plastic stocks, and the Knight has a good recoil pad too.  My Omega had a lighter trigger, and I think it has a faster lock time.  The Omega is still easier and faster to clean, and with the T/C QLA, seating sabots is easier too.  My Omega would shoot one hole groups at 75 yds with 120gr of 777 FFFG and the 250 gr Shockwave.  That load shot well enough that I never tried anything else, so I couldn't tell you what other loads would do.

The detachable trigger mech of the Knight is nice if you want to clean it every time you shoot.  I will say that the tab you depress to get the trigger mech out gouged a hole in my index finger when I was shooting hot loads.  It might just be me and how I grip the stock with my small hands.  You have to take the trigger mech out to pull the breech plug, whereas you don't have to with the Omega.

Picking between the two for a hunt is a toss up for me, really.  I've always been a fan of Knight and I love their stuff.  I'm lukewarm about T/C because I've seen a lot of inconsistency with their products, mainly the Encore (forgive me Encore shooters).  If I knew that every Omega shot like the one I had, I'd probably pick one for a hunt where I needed the most maintenance free (and easy to clean) gun available.  For dangerous game, I would not take my particular rolling block unless I could find and accurate easy to load bullet.  With that tight barrel, there is no quick reload on my gun.

I can't say that I'd recommend one over the other, you need to handle both of them and decide what you like.  Even though it seems to be quirky, I like my rolling block and how it handles well enough that I think that I'll  keep it regardless of how well it shoots at longer range.  If it's only good enough for 100 yds, I'll live with it.

Offline Keith Lewis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 04:47:43 PM »
I have a stainless Omega and a stainless KRB rolling block. I find the rolling block much easier to get sabot/bullet combinations down the barrel. My Omega is almost impossible unless the bullets are selected smaller than normal and the sabots thinner than normal. The KRB barrel slugs at about .503 which is about .003 larger than the Omega. I also think the removable trigger group makes cleaning a lot easier than the Omega which requires much more work to get the trigger/hammer group removed. I have not shot the KRB much yet but I expect it to outperform the Omega with conicals and should also shoot sabot/bullet combinations as well. I have not seen a Green Mountain barrel yet that would not do very well in the accuracy department.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 01:40:26 PM »
I've never removed the trigger group on an Omega, but I imagine it's a pain.  By the Omega being easier to clean, I meant just pulling the plug and such.  The barrel on my Omega was definitely easier to load than my KRB,but not as easy as my Elite and other Knight's I've had.  I guess my biggest gripe with the Omega is that it just felt cheap to me.  All of the Knight's I've handled, even the base models, just feel like quality guns, and feel good in the hands.  I'll have to mike the muzzle and see what it measures on my KRB.  You've aroused my curiosity.