Author Topic: new Ruger .327  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
new Ruger .327
« on: December 01, 2007, 06:31:58 PM »
I was poking around the Ruger website and found this new caliber they are offering in the SP 101.  Have I been asleep or is this really new?

I don't get the general gun mags, just Rifle and Handloader.

What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PDF/NewProducts/KSP-32731X.pdf
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: new Ruger .327
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 06:35:06 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 12:41:20 AM »
Looks like this might head for a semi-auto, and, that might be interesting.
Just one more too keep up with.
I think I have too many calibers now.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 02:00:56 AM »
williamlayton:  I sort of doubt this will be headed to a semi-auto, unless Ruger attempts to bring back the infamous semi-auto assault revolver.  And besides, there is already a semi-atuo round in this ballistic category, the 7.62x25mm Tokarev - 85-88 gn (30 cal) slug at 1400'/sec with some loadings for the CZ-52 doing better than that (just take a look at Ron Reed's offereings in this caliber). 

I suppose it was just a matter of time before somebody stretched or hot loaded the 32 H&R Mag but I always wondered why. 

I guess someone just needs another wheelgun caliber to play with.  I really wish someone would get their butt in gear and develop a new semi-auto that would chamber the 7.62 Tok in a modern handgun.  One great thing about the Tok is that you can load any bullet style into that bottleneck cartridge and penetration tests of the Tokarev show that it performs incredibly well. 

I've read the articles on the 327 (shoulda called it a chevy.......) and am just waiting for someone to switch loads and try to chamber the 327 into a 357 or vice versa.  And as for the reduced recoil - well gosh, ifin ya chambers a 357 for something with a smaller case you have all that extra metal (and attendant weight) to buffer the recoil. 

With all this being said - I think I'm gonna go buy another Tokarev...................JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 03:28:27 AM »
Wow, the laws of physics have been repealed! It's about time!! .357 performance in a lighter gun with 20% less recoil. How do they do that?? Call me behind the times, but when I want .357 performance, I use a .357.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 03:46:58 AM »
I think it's an interesting concept and I guess there is a place for it but I'm not going to trade in my SP-101 .357. I've found one can load .38 and .357 for less cost than the .32 H&R with which I've also tinkered a bit. My wife does find recoil of the .357 to be a bit much but I just load 125 gr HPs down to "mid-range", over .38+P but under full .357 mag and that is not uncomfortable for her. After just a bit of practice she was putting them right on the dot of the laser grip. The .30 carbine from a revolver would be pretty similar and that never was a big seller.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 05:14:29 AM »
I guess they have sold enough of the sp101's in 32 H&R to feel there is a market for a 32 max. I personally would like to see it in a single shot rifle. I would load heavy bullets a t fairly low velocities for a great low noise replacement fo a rimfire. I just like being able to roll my own.

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 07:53:28 AM »
I guess they have sold enough of the sp101's in 32 H&R to feel there is a market for a 32 max. I personally would like to see it in a single shot rifle. I would load heavy bullets a t fairly low velocities for a great low noise replacement fo a rimfire. I just like being able to roll my own.

I'm with ya on that platform.  Think bout this...  The .32 is actually .312 caliber.  Now load that in a single shot rifle where OA cartridge lenth isn't so much of an issue , use bullets for the 7.7x58mm Jap Arisaka which are .3118 (.312) and you've got a fantastic med range small/med game cartridge.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 08:47:11 AM »
my thoughts exactly. I was thinking it would be like a straight walled rimmed 32 whisper. I would definitely be first in line for one

Offline Castaway

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 06:51:18 AM »
Are my old eyes deceiving me or is the 327 housed in a case with a rebated rim?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 07:43:46 AM »
Nope.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 07:59:01 AM »
Mikey,
My 5 1/4" SSK Contender 7.62 X 25 mm Tokarev "stub" barrel actually runs an 85-87 gr. bullet @ 1625 fps using various Com-Block surplus ammo.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 12:41:33 AM »
Ken - thank you!  I have always wondered if anyone ever made a barrel in 7.62x25mm Tok for the Encore or the Contender, and how they performed.  I have thought, and thot (short version) and thot agin about getting a Encore and having a barrel made in that cailber but the closest I have ever come to that thot is a 7.62x25mm chamber insert for either a 308 or a 30-06 and neither have been wildly accurate with factory or mil-surp ball. 

Would you know what the twist of your barrel is?  Have you tried any 'whisper' type loads with heavy bullets???  I just wish someone would come up with a modern day update of either the Tok or the CZ52.  Maybe FN since they have that 5.7x28mm round.  Mikey.