Author Topic: pardner slug setup?  (Read 911 times)

Offline ebonitekid767

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
pardner slug setup?
« on: December 02, 2007, 10:58:15 AM »
how do you guys have your pardners set up for slug shooting? im gonna put one together and would like some ideas please. thanks!

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: pardner slug setup?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 12:04:58 PM »
I have a 20ga Tracker I.  That's a Tracker II without rifling.  Open sights.  I had it tapped out by a gunsmith to accept choke tubes.  I have a Imp. cyl. tube for slugging and a X full tube for turkey.  It works well.  I like the smooth bores because the slugs are cheaper and I don't really need to reach out and touch something more than 75 yards or so in the areas that I deer hunt.  I also shoot slugs with both my 12ga Pardners and my Tamer 410.  All of those have bead sights only.  I want to get rifle sights mounted on my 22" 12ga.  Both 12's are Mod choke and the Tamer is full choke. 

Choosing a slug gun, you need to consider the game you will be hunting and the distance you will be shooting.  Then find what is suited to that.  There are lots of options to choose from and then there is always customizing to your own taste.  Good Luck in the search.  You've come to the right place.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 01:17:56 PM »
Cookiemann, you have the right idea about a slug gun, I agree with you 100%....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 04:07:53 AM »
I took my 410 bore to the gun smith and had him cut 2 inches off the barrel  for a cylinder bore. He then made a arbor bit that fit the bore an cut a rifle type crown into it. Had him put on a 4x32 scope. And now this little smooth bore shoots the foster type rifled slugs with great accuracy. At this time, I'm finding the Winchester superX 2.5" 1/5 oz. slug shoots the best, although it does like the Brenneke 3" silver slug very much. Good luck with your project! scout4<><

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 11:38:51 AM »
Scout, did you start with a 26" barrel or a 22" barrel?  That sounds like a great set up.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 01:44:45 PM »
That is a nice idea on the .410 slug gun but I think I would have shot it with scope first to see how it did as choked and then if I was not happy with it I would have cut it down a couple of inches to remove the choke. I am happy that it worked out so well for you, I want one!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 03:30:41 AM »
Hey Cookiemann! it was a 26 inch barrel. Cut down to 24" I even spent the little extra an had the smithy set the original front bead sight back on, I just wanted to retain it as the shotgun it once was, guess to just ad to its uniqueness. But the bottom line is that she really shoots! Brenneke silver slugs and Winchester's 2 1/2" 1/5 oz. shoot the best. I did a penetration test by taping together 4 big catalogs an settin that in front of oak, first shoot the Brenneke that hit just about center, then the winchester's had holes touching just about dead center, so I didn't touch the scope. After I pulled the target. I took the catalogs apart I was amazed. The Brenneke I found just under the last few pages of the last book so it went almost through these 4 books! The Winchester's I found about 1/2 way into the 3rd book very well mushroomed and one blown apart which I think may have been hit by one of the other slugs. I've got to get some pictures posted for you Men so you can see what I have goin on here. I'm workin on that part, have alot to laern about the pc stuff. Anyway, I hope this helps. Have a good day Men. scout4<><

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 04:47:59 AM »
Don't do this to me scout4.....Now I want one too!!! What was the distance on that accuracy and penetration test? What type of catalogs were they and how thick was each one?....<><....:)

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 03:07:51 AM »
Hey MSP Ret My shots are taken from an old picnic table I made into a shooting bench, and its setup at 35 yards. The catalogs were 3 old cabelas hunting catalogs and another catalog about an 1 1/2" thick. I think the test would have been better if the catalogs were soaked in a bucket of water overnight. If there is any difference in the accuracy between the Brenneke or Winchester its not much. I like the way the Brenneke penatrated and blew through the mass, but the way Winchester's mushroomed makes me wonder which would be the better game getter which I think is an important consideration with the .410 bore. Have a good day my friend. scout4<><

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 12:45:53 PM »
Thanks for the idea, Scout4.  I never thought of using books like that. :o  We always have last year's phone books to get rid of and those would work great for that.  THE NEW STANDARD...THE YELLOW PAGE INDEX ;D
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline AiredaleTerrier

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 04:08:21 PM »
I used a 20ga pardner as a slug gun for her.  I used some adjustable fiber optic rifle sights from the clearance rack at Cabela's.  Once I figured out where the rear sight needed to be (front to rear), I epoxied them on.  As for a recoil pad, I used a small grind to fit Limbsaver.  Had to cut off 3.5 inches.  This was the maximum I could cut off.  You can only make the footprint of the Limbsaver so small.  It fits her perfect and the recoil is much more manageable.  She can put 3 in a 3 inch circle at 50yds which is about the longest shot she would have 'round here.  All this for under $100!
Handis:  357Mag, 7.62x39, 25-06, 308, 17m2, 20ga...

Offline preventec47

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 07:46:29 AM »
Unfortunately for pardner 12 ga smooth bore setups it is EXTREMELY difficult to mount
a rear sight in any way.  I have found some small rear sight inserts with 3/8" dovetails
that I am considering either just epoxying them on either to the barrel or to the
space between the  hammer and the front of the receiver which is 3/4 of an inch
in width.  The barrel is too thin to drill any kind of holes around the chamber area.
I may ask the gunsmith to cut a female dovetail just ahead of the hammer to slide
the rear sight inserts into.   A photo of the many insert options is at the Yahoo
H&R group file list.
Has anyone found any good rear sight options to glue to the top of the
barrel.  I think we need a large area for glue contact and we need it
to be very light ( plastic or aluminum ) to minimize recoil forces.
Has anyone found ANY other good way to mount a rear sight onto a smooth
bore gun for slug shooting?    Looking for ideas of any type ... please !