Author Topic: moly coating  (Read 432 times)

Offline KevinG

• Trade Count: (0)
moly coating
« on: December 04, 2007, 04:07:22 AM »
  here's a real wonder question, has anyone here tried moly coating lead bullets instead of traditional lube? just ordered the moly coating kit from midsouth and just throwing this question, after much pondering and asking other casting inquseting minds we are mostly inagreement that it should work. any thoughts out there, suggestions? thyanks keving

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: moly coating
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 10:11:31 AM »
  I wonder WHY you want to put that much work in your bullets.! I tried it to see what if any difference there was in Moly/no Moly. As far as accuracy and velocity I DID gain a little speed but lost a bit of accuracy. The bullets were .308 and .358 and .431 diameter. A limited test with .457/8 dia. bullets were no better. It helps if the bullets are about 115 degrees when you start coating them. They must be free of ANY oil too. I used a small rock polisher and coated 50 to 100 bullets at a time. I had some what better results with jacketed bullets in calibers as small as .224 up to .358. Be aware that many shooters claim Moly builds up in the bore and can cause pressure problems. Also many people say that moly contributes to bore riusting and pitting. I never had such problems, but I clean my bores religiously after use.