Author Topic: Long range .44 mag  (Read 1273 times)

Offline boomerdog

• Trade Count: (0)
Long range .44 mag
« on: December 04, 2007, 06:56:21 AM »
Hi Veral,
Sorry about the screwup on the previous post!
My question is : What would you recomend for best accuracy at long range (200yds+ targets only)Reading previous posts, it seems that the 280 or 300 LFN are the way to go. Is this correct? Also, I have a nice old Model 29 that I don't want to abuse, so would these still work with milder loads at less than top velocity? What would be your preference 280 or 300? Or something else?
Thanks, Joe V.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Long range .44 mag
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 07:28:39 AM »
ill give you my suggestion but its to stout for your smith. I shoot the lbt 300lfngc at about 1200 fps. I took first place in the linebaugh long range shoot with it one year at a range of about 800 yards out of an accusport bisley 44 ruger. If i was going to attemp it in a smith id probably try verals 280lfngc which is another good flying long range bullet and shoot it at between 1100-1200 fps. I dont think id subject a 29 to a steady diet of them but it surely would hold up to occasional use.
blue lives matter

Offline boomerdog

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:49:05 AM »
Thanks for the info Lloyd, I also  have a SBH to shoot the hotter stuff in, so Iwant to be kind to the Smith.
PS - What are the throats like in your Ruger ? Mine are about .432"

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 08:45:30 AM »
I dont think ive ever measured a 44 ruger. I dont bother measuring unless theres a problem and ever 44 ruger ive ever owned has been an exceptional shooter. I have just standardized on sizing to 430 and have never seen a big improvement by going to 431 or 432. Some of my smiths prefere 431 though
blue lives matter

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 11:56:16 AM »
Not to topic jump here but Loyd tell me about the 800 yard long range 44 mag handgun shoot.  Standing prone?  How in the do you  know how far to aim over at 800 yards?  How big is the target.  I have heard of people shooting long range handgun but never met anyone or got a chance to quiz first hand.    Would love to play with my 44 redhawk at longer ranges but would not even know where to start.  Can you lay a few start up tips on a interested rookie that has a place to shoot out to maybe 400 yards.  Any help truly appreciated.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 05:37:06 PM »
This is NOT the Ask Veral Forum and as far as I know he does not read this forum. If your question is for him you need to ask it on his forum not this one.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 12:08:44 AM »
Here how it was done the year i shot it. You could use any position. I sat and rested the gun between my legs. You had 5 shots to get your range and 5 shots for score. the target was a 3/4 sized steel buffalo inside of a 20 foot circle. You got 20 points for a hit on the buffalo and 10 for a hit in the circle. Most classes required a score of a 100 to win. I only shot the 44 class that year as my middle nuckle had just been operated on before the seminar and the day before i ripped the stitches out of it and was a bloody mess. I pulled the trigger on exactly one 500 that day. the one i had won the night before in the big raffle.  I smiled enduring that pain!! Anyone interested in true long range shooting of handguns and even rifles ought to make it to the linebaugh seminar at least once. Its worth it for the education.
Not to topic jump here but Loyd tell me about the 800 yard long range 44 mag handgun shoot.  Standing prone?  How in the do you  know how far to aim over at 800 yards?  How big is the target.  I have heard of people shooting long range handgun but never met anyone or got a chance to quiz first hand.    Would love to play with my 44 redhawk at longer ranges but would not even know where to start.  Can you lay a few start up tips on a interested rookie that has a place to shoot out to maybe 400 yards.  Any help truly appreciated.
blue lives matter

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 11:10:06 AM »
Thank you Loyd.  I had heard stories of people shooting open sighted hand guns long range and know long rage with a traditional straight walled pistol round was possible  but hearing a little first hand account is way cool.  I was once practicing bpcr silhouette with lee shaver and had my smith and wesson 686 loaded with 4.0 grains unique and 158 home cast bullets laying in the truck.  Lee ask me if I thought he could hit the 300 meter pig with my gun in 6 shots.  I said I didn't know to which he said you spot I'll try.  He did it on lucky shot number 5.  My bet was he might have hit it more but I could not see the bullet strikes very well so he shooting blind until about the 3 or 4th shot.  I was impressed but never attempted it myself.  Thanks for sharing SN

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 12:00:48 AM »
ive got no doubt it could have been done with that gun but to really make long range shooting possible a guy needs a good bullet. Kieths and lfns are the best but even some of them dont fly well so it takes some experimenting. If i had to pick one design to do it with the least ammount of work it would probably be an lfn. I like them heavy. Verals 300 lfngc is my go to bullet in the 44s but your smith will have problems getting it up to speed without beating up the gun. Id probably go with his 280lfngc which is another good flying bullet. Speeds as low as 1100 fps will work but the majic speed for really good shooting seems to be about 1300 fps. I wont post exact loads on the internet but my favorite long range 44 is a accusport bisley ruger with 300 lfngcs cast out of 5050 ww/lyno. In properly made up cases. I dont usually seperate headstamps or trim brass in handguns but this is one exception. I push them at  1275 out of the ruger and its my best long range gun. It will even make me shake my head on occasion.
blue lives matter

Offline Sharps-Nut

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 03:38:46 AM »
So how does one take a sight picture for say a 200 or 300 yard shot with a iron sighted pistol.  I don't figure there is anywhere near eneogh factory elevation to allow for it.  Those big old sights would cover the target and it seem shot to shot consisitency is going to be a must to connect with the target.  How do you point the thing and be sure your hold over is the same everytime?  Hate to ask but thats the missing link for me.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 09:45:09 AM »
you place your target on top of the front blade like you normal would and then lower the top of the rear sight in relation to the front. I have gold bars on the front sight of most of my long range guns. You an put 2 or 3 of them on a sight and use them for reference.
blue lives matter

Offline flintman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Am I remembering correctly?
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 03:35:20 AM »
 That some folks used orange paint on the bases of the lead bullets which would allow these bullets to be seen in flight?Or am i just remembering something i imagined?
John 3:16

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 01:40:47 PM »
Most any pistol bullet is easy to see if the sun is behind you.  Works some of the time with .308's too - but just a glimpse.  If you're in the right place behind 155mm howitzers it works there too.

You want to be directly behind the gun (whatever caliber).

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)