Author Topic: BORESNAKE  (Read 1139 times)

Offline BOBBYCRAWLEY

• Trade Count: (0)
BORESNAKE
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:21:59 AM »
I BOUGHT ONE OF THESE FOR THE HANDI .243 AT ACADEMY THE OTHER DAY AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YALL USED THEM AND HOW WELL THEY WORKED. I ALSO BOUGHT SOME OF THAT FOAMING BORE CLEANER TO USE IN IT TO. SHOULD I GET SOMETHING ELSE FOR THE BORE. THIS IS THE FIRST RIFLE THAT I AM CLEANING MY SELF. SO IM A LITTLE NEW TO IT. THANKS. :)

Offline SHOOTALL

Re: BORESNAKE
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:32:29 AM »
nothing beats a good rod and CLEAN patches . i have used the bore snakes without a hitch but some have reported problems with sticking in bbls so i have backed off some . the idea of running the same snake thru. lots of times with out washing it seems likely to add trash to the bore as much as clean it , who knows ? i still keep them for emg. use and a quick run thru. at the range sometimes .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 03:39:12 AM »
Get yourself a good cleaning kit or a basic cleaning kit and make sure it fits your caliber before you start.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 03:44:42 AM »
I Love my Snakes ! They are not a replacement for a "Real" Cleaning.. but in the field, Mud, snow moisture etc. is quickly removed. They take up almost no room, and do a good job.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 03:46:15 AM »
I just bought the patchworm.  Check it out.
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 03:55:38 AM »
I Love my Snakes ! They are not a replacement for a "Real" Cleaning.. but in the field, Mud, snow moisture etc. is quickly removed. They take up almost no room, and do a good job.

Agreed I keep one in the stock of my 223 so I can get whatever out in the field.
It will remove dirt, sand, grit, water, snow, powder and much more.
They will not however remove copper or lead fouling.
You still need a good cleaning kit.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 04:39:06 AM »
I have a couple in different calibers and they are great, I plan to buy others for other calibers....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 04:47:34 AM »
so what was the deal with them sticking ?

Offline bigben_8011

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 04:53:13 AM »
if you run em dry without any lube on em the brass brush on the end tends to get stuck and instead of people doing a nice even pull they tend to jerk it out and the string rips off. 

I have allways used hoppes no 9 because that is what dad used.  what is up with this foaming stuff?  is it better?  and the bore snakes are nice for if you are out hunting on a trip and it was raining.  run one through and don't worry about it. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 04:58:09 AM »
i like ammonia or #9 both have their place !

Offline Tack Driver

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 08:12:27 AM »
I would venture to say that a bore with a snake run through it every time it's shot would be in better shape than a bore that every once in a while or never gets a brush/patch.

Also, as far as copper and lead fouling, it does fine with a few dabs of bore solvent/cleaner just before and after the brush.

Let's also keep in mind- in the real world, there are plenty of muzzles with worn rifling due to cleaning rods.

I clean mine at the range while its still hot with some solvent on the boresnake. After a few trips hunting/shooting, I feel guilty and clean it conventionally when I do a complete take down clean/lube.

I am thinking of making a switch for all of my guns to a pull through system like OTIS' tactical kit. Kind of an in-between hybrid of the snake and the rod.

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 08:37:39 AM »
Rods are much easier than something like the Otis unless your cleaning an semi auto and just want to clean the barrel.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 10:35:32 AM »
I don't buy that a gun shoots better if cleaned after each shot , some of mine shoot better after a fouling shot or two .

Offline BOBBYCRAWLEY

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 11:49:10 AM »
thanks yall this forum is very helpful. i will go get me some cleaner and dob it on the snake to see how that works out. i will try and post some pics of the groups and or deer that i shoot with the new handi this weekend. thanks again.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 12:26:09 PM »
Nothing beats a "good" one-piece rod with a bore guide(See FAQs) and patches for cleaning a bore after soaking the bore foaming bore cleaner, but the Bore Snake has it's place in the field for quick cleaning as long as it's not used repeatedly without washing it, anyone that doesn't wash their Bore Snake after using it once or twice is doing the same thing as reusing patches and I don't think anyone with a lick of common sense reuses cleaning patches multiple times. ::) I have a couple snakes, one for my shotgun and another in .30 cal, the only time I use em is in the field to clear the bore of dirt/dust or water between hunts, I either wash it by hand or throw it in a mesh laundry bag for a trip thru the clothes washer, then let it drip dry so it's ready for the next trip.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,123060.msg1098425095.html#msg1098425095

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,129627.msg1098475081.html#msg1098475081

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,129353.msg1098472994.html#msg1098472994

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,96996.msg1098243786.html#msg1098243786
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 07:10:13 PM »
I use a Boresnake at the range if accuracy starts to drop off.
When I get home I use the Patch Worm with Butch's Bore Shine.

Robert

http://patchworm.com/

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 05:41:15 AM »
i tried to wash my snake and it bit me three times, thank goodness it is only
a bull bore snake.
yea i know i will shut up now.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 05:59:07 AM »
that was good , mine are water snakes and wash them selves !

Offline gregg22

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 12:06:43 PM »
my experince with bore snake is it does a ok job,but when i tried running clean patches thru after,they came out with some crud on them,so I only use it for quickie cleanings.My experince with the foaming bore cleaner has been Great! I had several revolvers with copper fouling that i tried at least 9 kinds of cleaners on with no sucess.first time with foaming bore cleaner got them clean.only thing to rember is to leave in in barrel to soak at least 30 min.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 01:36:29 PM »
I like the bore snakes.  Makes cleaning quick and easy.  Doesn't mean I don't use the rod and brushes but that is twice a year rather than every time.  I had the brass tip break off of a .17 and I simply sent a fax to the number on the carton and they shipped me a new one.  I have a fishing tackel box that I have set up as a cleaning kit and I have bore snakes in the whole top section for every caliber and Ga I shoot.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 04:12:24 AM »
gregg22 try ammonia soak a patch and run thru. let set for a time then do it once more . in real tuff cases i plug the bore with a patch and fill the bore and let soak !