Author Topic: 6.35 x59mm  (Read 617 times)

Offline PaulS

• Trade Count: (0)
6.35 x59mm
« on: June 22, 2003, 09:53:49 PM »
Anyone have ideas where I can get 6.35 x 59 dies? I will need to change the angle of the shoulder on the dies because I am putting together a custom rifle using this cartridge in an improved (30 degree shoulder) version.

PaulS
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
6.35 x59mm
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2003, 03:05:20 PM »
Hey Paul, I'm not up to speed on this round. Do you have the brass? What is the casehead dimension? (personal interest)  I would think you could consult with RCBS, or Redding and have some made to your specs. :? On

Offline PaulS

6.35 x59mm
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 04:22:20 PM »
onesonec,
The case head is the same size as 243, 308, 3006 - .473" but the length is between the 243 and 270 at 2.323". It is .442" at the shoulder base and goes to .292" at the neck junction.
It only has .030" taper to the shoulder (1.8504") and a neck that is .335" long.
If I leave the neck length alone and blow the shoulder out to 30 degrees - you know, I won't gain anything blowing the shoulder out an additional 2 degrees - maybe I should just use it as is......  Hmmmmmm

It's already a longer (.15") version of the 257 Roberts imp so if I can find a reamer and dies I may not have to do any wildcating - just case forming from a parent case. (I doubt that I will be able to find brass)
Well, I have to go a' searchin'...

PaulS
PaulS

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
6.35 x59mm
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 02:17:04 AM »
Hey Paul, What kinda rifle would you be doing this on?  I was just thinking that if you use a single shot, eliminating possible follower and feed problems. That you can blow the taper out .020" and shoulder to 35-40degree, and end up with some gain over a 257 Rob AI, comming close to a 25-06. But it's possible to make a bolt gun operate with such a round also. In all likelyhood, you will have to get the reamers built, no big deal. Dies on the other hand, may bring a premium price. On

Offline PaulS

6.35 x59mm
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 07:49:18 PM »
onesonek,
I am building it on an old 03A3 that a got for nothing without a bolt. The case is less than 1/4 inch short of the 3006 and I don't believe I will have any problems with feeding as the head is held in the bolt face while feeding. The case is already longer that the 257 and the dimensions allow for about the same case capacity as the 257 AI - I have looked at the case specs and don't see much volume being gained with the .015 less taper and an increase in shoulder angle - less than .1 % gain in capacity and a lot more work than using it as is - if it is a wildcat and I have to form brass then I will consider doing the case mods.
As for the singleshot - I have never had good luck with rimless cases in singles shot actions - especially when pressures are at 50000 psi.

PaulS
PaulS