Author Topic: 94 30-30 1962...how much?  (Read 712 times)

Offline jimster

• Trade Count: (0)
94 30-30 1962...how much?
« on: December 05, 2007, 01:52:09 PM »
I just saw a 94 Winchester 30-30 serial  number says it's 1962.  It's at the local gun shop a couple miles away.  They have a price of $399 on it.  I'm interested.  It's in very good condition, bluing is good, wood is good, action is not sloppy in the least.  What do you think of the price at $399?  I'm thinking of going back there and offering a bit less, but if they won't budge, what do you think?
They are asking more than this at gun shows for pre 64's, and I have not been willing to buy them for that, and most of what I've been seeing is in much poorer shape than this one. Someone took care of this one, it's evident it hasn't seen much use. 

Thanks for your opinions.

Jim

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Re: 94 30-30 1962...how much?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 02:25:29 PM »
Gun prices in general have gone up alot. From what I've seen around here and the condition you describe it, that's an excellent price. Since Winchester quit making 94's it's only gonna go up in value. I say make an offer, the worst they can do is say no. An item is only worth what a person is willing to pay. In this case it sounds like a good deal.        Dave

Offline Keith L

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 01:26:19 AM »
Were I to find a good shape pre 64 like you describe I would pay $400 in a heartbeat.  I hope it works out for you.  Let us know how it shoots.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline jimster

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 04:50:46 AM »
I've been thinking the same thing, I'm going to give the wife a back rub and talk about another investment....LOL!  I'll probably head there tonight.
This gun shop specializes mostly in self defense handguns,  tactical rifles etc...most people that visit this place are interested in that type of stuff, so nobody seems to interested in this rifle sitting in the used section, I'm not even sure the place knows it's pre 64.   Serial number caught my eye right away, 256XXXX.
The gun was in such good shape I almost thought it was re blued, but that is not the case, the lettering looks sharp and the blue looks normal color for a Winchester.
I guess I best jump on it. 

Thanks for your input....

Jim

Offline jimster

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 03:35:22 AM »
Spent the last couple days cleaning and looking it over.  Nice bore all the way down.  Have something I want to fix, it appears that the cartridge guide screw that screws in from the inside out, has backed out in it's history and someone tried to tighten it up without proper tools and buggered it up a tad. I want to replace a couple screws and can get them, but how hard is it to get at this
screw?  Is there a tool to get in there to turn and tighten from the inside?  Or do I make something that has a 90 degree turn to it and make a screw driver that fits?  I'm no gunsmith, but hey if I just want to replace this a gunsmith might not charge much either, so maybe I'm better off taking it somewhere?   I want to replace two or three screws in this rifle, that one and a couple others that are a little buggered up. 

anyways,  if anyone knows how to get at that screw, fill me in, seems to me they should have rigged it up with the screws going in from the outside instead of the inside out, would have been easier.

Thanks

Jim