Author Topic: M1A stock question  (Read 377 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
M1A stock question
« on: December 06, 2007, 08:21:28 AM »
I just recently purchased a New M1A with a fiberglass stock and I took the action out of the stock to put a sling swivel stud on the for end of the stock (there was already a hole there and bought a kit that would fit in the hole and such) I put the action back in the stock and the front part of the stock is springy so to speak where it was solid before. I have talked to comp shooters and they tell me that a M1A shoots a whole lot better. My question is how do I get the springiness out of the front? I don't know if I have to Press it into the stock or put filler up front? I'm a machinist by trade so complicated stuff isn't hard to explain to me and besides learning to be skilled when it comes to working on one appeals to me. Any info would be great.

Offline John Traveler

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: M1A stock question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 02:45:07 PM »
See reply in Gunsmithing forum.

I used to shoot rifle competition in the Navy, and had opportunity to watch the gun mechanics accurize M1 and M14 rifles.

The barrel/gas tube "springiness" you described is not good.  I would look for interference with the sling swivel nut or stud that you installed.  The front end of an M14/M1A should hookly onto the stock, and the receiver/action should pull securely into the stock with the trigger guard latched.  Selective fitting of parts, peening, and fibreglas resin is used to bed the action and remove all looseness in mounting the barreled action into the stock.

Try looking up "national match M1" on the web.  There are a number of sites that describe in detail the accurizing of these military rifles.

HTH
John
John Traveler