Author Topic: Nosler Partitions on Whitetails  (Read 4334 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Nosler Partitions on Whitetails
« on: December 06, 2007, 10:26:37 AM »
I have used these bullets on Mule deer , Elk and feral hogs. Anyone with much usable experience with thes bullets on Whitetails. I have use the 100 grain 6MM partition, the 150 grain .277 and the 200 grain in 30 caliber. I have a bunch of them right now in 7MM, 140 and 160 grain bullets planned for my 7MM Remington magnum. Some will end up in my 7x57 also.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: Nosler Partitions on Whitetails
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:30:40 AM »
Ive used the 160s on a few whitetail. They kill like lightning.  Its been a few years but I dont recall them tearing up too much meat. My rem 700 7mag loved em.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 12:28:55 PM »
I used them out of a 30-06 in 165.  The exit holes were typically the size of a quarter and they worked very consistently.  I would have no problem using them out of any rifle I would be hunting with.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 02:51:27 PM »
After years of Speer Spitzers, Speer Grand Slams, Nosler Ballistics Tips, Winchester and Remmington Factory loads, and finally Nosler Partitions I have settled on the Partitions as the most reliable one shot kill bullets in .277 caliber x 150 gr. on both whitetailed deer and hogs out to 250 yards from my Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight.

Ballistic Tips are more accurate (for me) than Partitions but the exit wound of Partitions is USUALLY about the same size as the enrty wound and the animal never takes another step.  Partition wound channel characteristics are generally quite wide across and adjacent to the bullet traverse.  In contrast, Ballistic Tips tend to start small and blow away a huge chunck from the off hand side.  I have had Ballistic Tips disintegrate on impact with dense bone mass, jacket separation, and lost deer that were mortally wounded, but had the energy to run away.

Finding wounded game on my land and the adjacent State land is no pleasure.  Anchoring game is the right thing to do for the least "after the shot" effort.  Therefore, a steady rest, shot placement, rifleman accuracy, and bullet performance are critical components for success.

I have compared the results on  game taken over 15 hunting seasons.  For the last 7 years it has been nothing but Partitions.  They eat hogs with regularity too, probably ten to one hogs over deer.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 03:25:28 PM »
Stick with the partitions and you should never have a complaint.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline rickt300

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 03:44:40 PM »
Wyoming was a lot different than Texas as far as tracking goes. I have had pretty good results with just about all the bullets I have used but generally where I place my bullets makes all the difference. I like to run the bullet thru the center of the chest and not involve the shoulder or hit the neck just in front of the shoulder. I have of late used Ballistic Tips and I liked the instant drop with a chest hit. I used the 100 grain partition out of my 6MM on a couple of feral hogs. One dropped and the other got into a river and was swept away. Near the end of deer season if and when it cools off is when I hunt hogs and then on thru march till it warms up. My 7x57 using 140 grain partitions will get some hog experience. Hogs are a bit different to me, their vitals lay low between the front legs and this means you will hit bone once in a while. I also shoot them most often thru the shoulder blades or in the neck because I like it when they drop in place and I am not so meat conscious with them as deer. I have had really good success with Speer Hotcors in 160 grain with this rifle on hogs and got a heck of a deal on 700 partitions so I have to use them somehow.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 03:53:02 PM »
If I had 7oo partitions Thats what Id use .I just bought 50 of the 160s, gonna work up a load for my 7mag for an elk hunt next year. So If you find a load that works or you need to get rid of some let me know.  Jay
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline rickt300

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 04:50:32 PM »
My 7MM Remington mag shoots very tight groups with 68.0 grains of Reloder 22 under a 140 grain Nosler Partition. It also shoots just fine with 160 grain Speers fired by 64.0 grains of Reloder 22. I suspect that is where I'll start with my 160 partitions. On deer I sort of feel the 7MM RM is a bit much gun as ranges are generally close where my lease is but I use just about anything on the hogs.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 07:15:13 PM »
I believe I've used them in .270 Winchester, 7-08 and .30-06 at least maybe more I'm forgetting at the moment to take deer. All performed flawlessly just as expected. If there is a better bullet than the Nosler PT I don't know what it is. Perhaps others as good but dunno that I'd agree any better at least not for any use I'm likely to put them to.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rickt300

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 05:00:30 AM »
I have to get some front end work on my truck or I'd be on my way out to the lease today, maybe tomorrow but for sure next weekend if it gets cold. I have been waiting for a bit of cold weather so I could hang my deer and stay at the lease after shooting on but it seems not to be happening. This Texas weather sure has been mild! I already have some 140 grain Partitions loaded in both my 7MM Remington mag. and my 7x57 so if it gets cold they might get to go, The dark of the moon is this coming weekend which will be good for deer. The full moon is the 23rd which would make the week after the best time in December to hog hunt. Maybe the temps will get down near freezing by then.

Offline Sweet 6.5

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 06:55:14 AM »
???
I have a box of 125 gr NP for my 6.5x55
but I save them for the right hunt, but at this stage I have
no idea what this hunt is?
I used Speers to hunt the impalas and they worked 100%, like everybody said
they would I after my post about the Speers.

The NP is too good to waste on a light bodied animal like the impala!
For the blue wildebeest I used Rhinos, they have a solid shank like Trophy bonded bear claw. I
might have used the NPs if they were 140gr but I thought I needed something
strong and heavy for this blue wildebeest - and I was right.

So yes I am waiting for the RIGHT (special) hunt and will the let you all know about
this before, during and after the hunt!!

Offline rickt300

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 07:08:42 AM »
Looks like some cold and wet weather coming my way. My 7x57 and my 6MM Remington are going with me. Bet I see some deer.

Offline Sweet 6.5

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 06:54:33 PM »

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 01:56:25 AM »
I have used the 160 grain in my 7mm rem mag with great results on whitetail, even with a marginal shot. This year is used a combined technology moly 150 grain partition in my 308 on a buck, one shot through the rib cage and heart, small entrance wound, 2" exit, flawless performance and very accurate on paper targets.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 10:58:43 AM »
I didn't finish rebuilding my trucks front end till 3 pm today, Got new tires, front end aligned, fixed two broken studs and replaced two tie rod ends and a ball joint. Whew!  I may shoot one deer with the 140 grain partition out of my 7x57 and the other with a 95 grain Ballistic tip out of the 6MM. Sort of a comparison I guess.It being unlikely I will find a doe much over 100 pounds I figue it won't make much difference.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 11:18:01 AM »
Put the shot in the same spot on both does and then do a CSI episode in the field,you can learn some very interesting things.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 06:38:56 PM »
Considering the 7MM bullet weighs 140 grains and is starting out at 2750 fps and the 95 grain Ballistic Tip is moving out over 3000 fps I can say there will be little difference on a doe weighing less than 100 pounds. I expect both to exit and kill quickly. Looks like I may even see some snow or at least frosty spitwads.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 07:21:42 PM »
Thought you had to keep the BTs well under 3000 fps to make sure they stay together?

Offline rickt300

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 03:12:20 AM »
I am trying to duplicate the bullet performance you got on the antelope.  Anyway I meant impact velocity.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 08:18:47 AM »
Keep it at or under 2950 fps to duplicate my results,I wouldnt shoot over 100 yards as well,make sure you strike a MASSIVE bone like the shoulder blade of a fawn antelope(often compared to the armor plating on a triceratops here on GBO) and you should have a good chance of duplicating them.

Offline 7x57

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 05:26:34 PM »
My usual load in 7x57 is 160 grn Speer grand slams, love em , they never disappoint!

However this year I had to try out my 6.5x55 on a deer with 140grn Partition,   One shot from above on walking deer at 65 yards, hit near side scapula and both lungs.

the deer dropped like it was hit by lightning and never twitched.

Reasonable calibers and heavy for caliber bullets, premium at that will NEVER EVER let you down, even if they ever open a season on brontosaurus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get as close as you can, then get ten yards closer.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 02:24:28 AM »
My friends and I butchered alot of deer in my garage this year. The bullets used were Corelokt 180 round nose in 30-06. BT 180 in 300 WM, 150 partition in 308 and Partition in 270. The Partition did far less meat damage and provided one shot kills. The 06 and 300 rounds were far more destructive. The 180 round nose were very damaging. Partitions were a caliber size hole in and one-two inch exit every time.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 04:09:27 AM »
Well I used a 140 grain Partition fired from my 7x57 at around 2750 fps to take a doe yesterday. She was big for our area, around 110 pounds. My shooting position wasn't ideal and I hit her at the forth from last rib a bit high. Her hind legs were lower than her front legs so the bullet angled thru the spine and came out in front of her hip. The bullet also did some damage to the liver. At any rate she dropped. I couldn't see her due to a plum thicket but she was done when I got there. I lost the tenderloins and some backstrap but I haven't cut the hindquarter up yet so I don't know about it. All in all good performance.  Day before yesterday I hit another doe of average size, 80 pounds or so broadside thru the ribs close behind the shoulder. So close the bullet went thru some shoulder meat but no bone it it was hit. The bullet made a 1 inch hole in the ribs going in, totally destroyed the lungs, ground up the top of the heart, made a hole a bit bigger than 2 inches in the far ribs and exited leaving a small hole in the hide of around half an inch. Lots of blood under the hide on the far side and under the shoulder blade though the bullet exited under and a little behind the shoulder blade. Once again good performance. This was a 95 grain Ballistic Tip from my 6MM Remington. The load gives a bit more than 3000 fps at the muzzle and the range to the deer was less than 50 feet.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 12:10:13 AM »
Congrats on two successful hunts regardless of bullet make and performance.  Thanks for the comparisons.

Offline roscoe

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 03:51:36 PM »
I haven't any experience with Nosler partitions in my 243 win. but have been using the win ballistic silver tips in the Supreme line and they have worked flawlessly on whitetails over the last couple of yrs.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 04:24:23 PM »
  The last 20 something in a row one shot kills i've made with my 8x57jrs, all have been with NP's... including these two whitetails i harvested a few weeks ago..

Since i started using NP's in the 70's i've had great success with them on everything from moose and brown bears on down to small deer and havolina...

DM

Offline wareagleguy

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2007, 06:59:43 AM »
Drilling Man,
That two barrel you have there is CRAZY!!!

Keep drilling!!!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 02:03:11 PM »
I have used Partitions for years and was never disappointed. I have since used other bullets, Ballistic tips, Accu-bonds, Barnes, etc, but only because I am an experimenter. Remember that the Nosler Partition is still the Gold Standard by which other premium bullets are measured, and they work as well now as they ever have.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 02:20:36 PM »
Drilling Man,
That two barrel you have there is CRAZY!!!

Keep drilling!!!

Sooo, you only count two bbls on it, eh???

DM

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2008, 06:23:25 AM »
Nosler Partitions likes lots of velocity.

In any gun that is not loaded to max and at short range, they have a tendency not to open up the way they were designed to do upon impact.

My dad is a tight old hunkie and he says that you should use the least expensive ammunition to hunt whitetail deer and not the most expensive.

I have to agree with him on this one because most of the deer that I take with my '06 it is with Hornady PSPBT bullets and not the more expensive brands.

Sierra Game Kings also works well and won't break the bank!

When I hunt with my .270 - I use Winchester bullets that I bought in a plain old bag when Grice Gun Shop had one of their anniversary sales a few years ago.  The price was only $9.99 per 100!

They will kill a deer just as good as your $15 per 50 box of Partitions.  I never had one run away.

Since the only shells that fits in my Browning Pump Rifle is factory loads, I use Federal Classic - 150 gr and 180 gr with the Sierra Pro Hunters and I have had the same success in the last 5 years of hunting.