Author Topic: Nosler Partitions on Whitetails  (Read 4336 times)

Offline Drilling Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nosler Partitions on Whitetails
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2008, 07:24:42 AM »
Nosler Partitions likes lots of velocity.

In any gun that is not loaded to max and at short range, they have a tendency not to open up the way they were designed to do upon impact.

Boy, is that statement ever off base!!!

One of the things that makes NP's shine so brightly, is how well they open up at "lower" velocities!  Also, how well they open up on smaller animials...

You can use what even you want, but your wrong about how an NP performs...

DM

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2008, 11:51:34 AM »
I agree with Drilling Man.

I have used the 165-grain Nosler Partition the 30-06, the .300 Savage at 2670 fps, and the 140-grain Partition 6x55 at 2550 fps.  Velocities were record on my Chrony at approximately 6700-foot elevation.  Post kill examination of the wound channels lead me to believe the Nosler Partition opens up faster then 165-grain Hornaday SPBT, and 165-grain Remington C-L that I load with the same powder charge. These bullets historically have completely penetrated deer.

I have recovered one, 140-grain 6.5 bullet from a deer.  It was a frontal shot and the bullet entered the front of the chest, and crossed over to the far rib cage. The shoulder on the right side had some bloodshot meat indicating to me that the front of the bullet opened rapidly on contact.  The passage of the bullet damaged the heart, and lungs.  The inside of the rib cage on the deer’s left side was blood shot from the back rip into the left shoulder.  The bullet had run down a few ribs before penetrating the rib cage and stopping under the hide.  The portion of the bullet recovered was from the partition back.  Using my Sierra Ballistic program the impact velocity had to be around 2347 fps.

In my mind the 6.5X55 Swede and the .300 Savage are not high velocity rounds, but they effectively kill game.  They do help prove the Nosler Partition does not require high velocity to be effective.

I believe the standard cup bullets in the same weights do a good job on deer.  But I normally go up to the next size bullet, example I have a supply of load 120-grain bullets for the 6.5 but hunt with the 140-grain bullets.  In the 300 Savage I have a bunch of load 150-grain ammunition but I hunt with 165-grain bullets. 

I was given a good supply of Nosler Partition bullets years ago, and I found them to shoot into the same group as my ammunition loaded with C-L and Hornady bullet so I save them for hunting.  They are very effective, even at low velocity. 

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »
Quote from: The Gamemaster
When I hunt with my .270 - I use Winchester bullets that I bought in a plain old bag when Grice Gun Shop had one of their anniversary sales a few years ago.  The price was only $9.99 per 100!
Surprising that you are able to hit the broad side of a barn with "plain old bag" bullets.  Your lack of information regarding your own ammunition punctuates your lack of information with regard to Partitions.
Quote from: The Gamemaster
They will kill a deer just as good as your $15 per 50 box of Partitions.
Apparently .270 Nosler Partitions are phenomenally cheap at Grice Gun Shop!  What's their web site or phone number so the rest of us can get a significant price reduction over the prevailing rate of (say) Midway USA or GBO Sponsor Midsouth Shooters Supply:

NOSLER BULLETS 270 CAL .277 DIA
130GR SPITZER PARTITION (50CT) 
Order No: Status: Price:
115-16322  In Stock
 $28.24 

150GR SPITZER PARTITION (50CT) 
115-16323  In Stock
 $29.73 

160GR SEMI-SPITZER PARTITION (50CT) 
115-16324  In Stock
 $30.06 

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2008, 04:10:37 PM »
Before Nosler retooled and started making the new partitions, there were some complaints about them not opening at all or very little, especially in the smaller calibers.  It seems the jacket thickness was the same for the smaller bores as they were in the larger ones.  The effect is to have much more difficult controlled expansion.  The new partitions are not so designed or manufactured.  They perform well at all typical hunting velocities on game. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2008, 12:15:39 AM »
I agree with Drilling Man,and in fact my experience is much like Siskiyou. I've used the 150gr and 165gr partitions in my 06s and also a short barrel 308. With the 150s and about 300fps or so difference in velocity they have always expanded well at all ranges I've used them.Up close or far away they just work.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2008, 08:08:58 AM »
Cheese, that was, I guess, the standard Partition wound pattern.  Had you followed the wound channel, you would have found it to be pear shaped. Large shortly after the front portion expands and then narrowing again as the front portions slip off and the front petals fold back with a calibre sized wound on thru the deer.

The truth is, it don't take a premium bullet to kill a WT. At least not the 100-200# deer I've shot. In fact, if you get into some of the real pricey bullets, they may be too hard for what you really need.  So GM is right about that, even tho he don't know crap about NP's or small base dies.

GM, are you a troll? 

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2008, 08:56:53 AM »
No Beeman - I am not a Troll.  I am a human being.

Where I live at - if you have a problem with something once, you don't BUY it AGAIN!

The experiences that we had with the Nosler Partitions - 10 years ago - was all that  we needed to see or have.  They were JUNK!  Might have been OK for ELK - where you could hit a large bone and make them expand.  But on thin skinned game - they were not worth a hoot.

One other note for these experts on here,  At one time, Clearfield County Pennsylvania was the deer hunting capitol of Pennsylvania, along with POTTER County.

Because so many people had camps here and because so many people hunted here, there were more deer harvested here than any other county in Pennsylvania.  That created a great need for guns and a good gun shop.

Mr. Grice started out with a small gas station.  When you live in a small town where there is not much industry, good jobs or room for advancement - people had to make due with what they had.
I can only imagine that when people got short for money that they came to his gas station and they had a gun that they sold to him for money or gas and that was how he got started in the gun business.

I can remember his little store on Reed Street when I was a kid back in the early 70's.
They had a wall of guns  and hunting supplies, and so much clothes on the racks that you could hardly walk in the door.
My dad and my Uncle both bought Remington Gamemasters on the same day and he knocked $10 off the  price of each of them, it made customers out of them for life.
They bought reloading outfits and dies and powder and bullets and primers and scopes and scope caps and clothes, walkie talkies and just about everything that you can think of for hunting.

Mr. Grice had to move around some until he built his present day store, due to the fact that he just kept getting bigger and bigger. 
Today Grice Wholesale is so big that when Remington delivers his guns and supplies, they bring a whole 54 foot trailer to the warehouse and it is full from front to back, top to bottom.

When Remington comes out with a new model, He has it!  When Remington comes out with a special model - he has it.  When Remington comes out with a Anniversary model - with a limited amount of production - he has it.  Sometimes he has most if not all of their production run of that particular gun.

The same is true for Browning and Winchester.  Along with rep demo models that they sell for a fraction of the cost of a new one.  They call it a ding and dent sale.

Because they sell so much stuff in a years time, they get a better price on it than some dinky little old shop that only sells a couple of guns per a year.  As far as I know, they are the largest Wholesale distributor that is privately owned in the East Coast of the USA.

When they have their sales, of which their shooter sale should be coming up, along with their yearly anniversary sale which is the end of March, they drastically reduce the price of their reloading supplies.

Because of where I live, if you told anyone that you bought off Midway USA  or any of the outdoor catalog's - you would get laughed at here for paying those high prices for reloading supplies.

I can't help it if you think that you know it all, or if you didn't know about such places as Grice Gun Shop or Grice Wholesale.

But I bet if you live on the East Coast - that your local gun dealer does know about them and probably buys from them and then adds his cost to your supplies and you still think that you are getting a good deal.

I had this argument before on a different forum and spent hours looking for the article that was written in the American Rifleman about the Remington 760 Gamemaster and how it is the one weapon that is most closely associated with Pennsylvania and it's ties to Grice Gun Shop. 

Maybe out west - where you can see for a thousand yards or more, you need an accurate bolt action rifle that can take the wings off a fly at 500 yards. 

But in Pennsylvania - all you need is a accurate gun that can shoot 300 yards and plenty of firepower.

Once again - for people that can't do a google search, here is their web site's.

www.gricegunshop.com

www.gricewholesale.com

If my dad was here, he would tell you how he bought a lot of Nosler Partitions for .270 and .308 for $15 a box!  IMR 4350 powder, and CCI Large Rifle Primers for $.01 each!

Or that only a fool would spend $30 for 50 bullets.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2008, 10:38:16 AM »
No Beeman - I am not a Troll.  I am a human being.

Where I live at - if you have a problem with something once, you don't BUY it AGAIN!

The experiences that we had with the Nosler Partitions - 10 years ago - was all that  we needed to see or have.  They were JUNK!  Might have been OK for ELK - where you could hit a large bone and make them expand.  But on thin skinned game - they were not worth a hoot.

One other note for these experts on here,  At one time, Clearfield County Pennsylvania was the deer hunting capitol of Pennsylvania, along with POTTER County.

Because so many people had camps here and because so many people hunted here, there were more deer harvested here than any other county in Pennsylvania.  That created a great need for guns and a good gun shop.

Mr. Grice started out with a small gas station.  When you live in a small town where there is not much industry, good jobs or room for advancement - people had to make due with what they had.
I can only imagine that when people got short for money that they came to his gas station and they had a gun that they sold to him for money or gas and that was how he got started in the gun business.

I can remember his little store on Reed Street when I was a kid back in the early 70's.
They had a wall of guns  and hunting supplies, and so much clothes on the racks that you could hardly walk in the door.
My dad and my Uncle both bought Remington Gamemasters on the same day and he knocked $10 off the  price of each of them, it made customers out of them for life.
They bought reloading outfits and dies and powder and bullets and primers and scopes and scope caps and clothes, walkie talkies and just about everything that you can think of for hunting.

Mr. Grice had to move around some until he built his present day store, due to the fact that he just kept getting bigger and bigger. 
Today Grice Wholesale is so big that when Remington delivers his guns and supplies, they bring a whole 54 foot trailer to the warehouse and it is full from front to back, top to bottom.

When Remington comes out with a new model, He has it!  When Remington comes out with a special model - he has it.  When Remington comes out with a Anniversary model - with a limited amount of production - he has it.  Sometimes he has most if not all of their production run of that particular gun.

The same is true for Browning and Winchester.  Along with rep demo models that they sell for a fraction of the cost of a new one.  They call it a ding and dent sale.

Because they sell so much stuff in a years time, they get a better price on it than some dinky little old shop that only sells a couple of guns per a year.  As far as I know, they are the largest Wholesale distributor that is privately owned in the East Coast of the USA.

When they have their sales, of which their shooter sale should be coming up, along with their yearly anniversary sale which is the end of March, they drastically reduce the price of their reloading supplies.

Because of where I live, if you told anyone that you bought off Midway USA  or any of the outdoor catalog's - you would get laughed at here for paying those high prices for reloading supplies.

I can't help it if you think that you know it all, or if you didn't know about such places as Grice Gun Shop or Grice Wholesale.

But I bet if you live on the East Coast - that your local gun dealer does know about them and probably buys from them and then adds his cost to your supplies and you still think that you are getting a good deal.

I had this argument before on a different forum and spent hours looking for the article that was written in the American Rifleman about the Remington 760 Gamemaster and how it is the one weapon that is most closely associated with Pennsylvania and it's ties to Grice Gun Shop. 

Maybe out west - where you can see for a thousand yards or more, you need an accurate bolt action rifle that can take the wings off a fly at 500 yards. 

But in Pennsylvania - all you need is a accurate gun that can shoot 300 yards and plenty of firepower.

Once again - for people that can't do a google search, here is their web site's.

www.gricegunshop.com

www.gricewholesale.com

If my dad was here, he would tell you how he bought a lot of Nosler Partitions for .270 and .308 for $15 a box!  IMR 4350 powder, and CCI Large Rifle Primers for $.01 each!

Or that only a fool would spend $30 for 50 bullets.

I grew up in the golden triangle for white tailed deer in Pa too.  The other corner is McKean County and I grew up in Kane.  I've heard of Grice but moved from the area to finish school in Erie, and immediately after to Alaska. Partition bullets are definitely not needed for white tailed deer in Pa.  Also, most shots are taken well within 100 yards, much less than the 300 yard rifles needed too.  I used a .35 Remington 141 Gamemaster for years and had no difficulty with taking any deer hunted there.  It certainly would shoot 300 yards but you needed a computer to calculate the trajectory at that range.  Now that I've taken a goodly portion of game in Alaska with all types of bullets, I can say from first hand experience that most of my shots have been under 250 yards.  Most of the game have been larger in weight than any white tailed deer I've shot in PA.  Nosler Partition bullets work good on these larger animals with moderate velocity.  I've taken a B&C caribou with 100 grain Nosler Partition at a measured 310 yards with one shot from a .243 Win in a model 600 Remington, (bought at Erie Kmart and brought to Alaska).  On an aside for those who say the .243 is not adequate for deer, either do not have enough deer shooting experience with the .243 or personal prejudice.  My hunting companion was using a .270 Weathby Mag, shot a similar bull, at measured 10 yards closer with almost identical wound channels.  His caribou traveled about 30 yards further than the 25 mine did when it expired.  I was using Nosler Partitions, he did not.  Both exited the animals, both hit the shoulder, both traveled through the lungs, hit the off shoulder and exited.  I've shot over 150 deer here in Alaska with both core and cup and Partitions and really see no need to use the Partitions on these deer either.  They did work fine though.  I use them when the chances of turning a corner and running into a large black bear are not uncommon.  And I use a .243 Win with utmost confidence in the Partition bullets, rifle, and capability of this cartridge for black bear.  I've shot too many with it to even ponder it marginal, regardless what others believe.  
If you don't like the Partitions, so be it.  However, do not use the limited deer hunting experience to convince others of the Partitions fallibility.  Others have found them to be more than satisfactory for the type of hunting they do.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2008, 01:17:41 AM »
The following is the reply received when attempting to shop online at Grice Gun Shop:

---------------------------------------
Grice Gun Shop > Shop Online
Grice Gunshop is not yet open for retail shopping.

Businesses that have accounts with Grice Gunshop can login and shop our Online Wholesale Catalog.

I can see how $30.00/50 bullets RETAIL could easily cost only $15.00 WHOLESALE. 

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2008, 04:16:16 AM »
The following is the reply received when attempting to shop online at Grice Gun Shop:

Grice Gun Shop > Shop Online
Grice Gunshop is not yet open for retail shopping.

Businesses that have accounts with Grice Gunshop can login and shop our Online Wholesale Catalog.

I can see how $30.00/50 bullets RETAIL could easily cost only $15.00 WHOLESALE. 

I can't help it if you are too cheap to make the call.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2008, 05:36:31 AM »
  I'll start off by saying, i worked up one load for my 8x57jrs and i expect it to work on everything i hunt with it.  I learned where it shoots, and i expect it to work "properly" when i pull the trigger...  The load is, 200 grain Nosler Partitions at 2,550 MV...

When you work up one load for a rifle, it should be for the biggest toughest animial you will shoot with that rifle/load...

The experiences that we had with the Nosler Partitions - 10 years ago - was all that  we needed to see or have. 

Well, all the big game i've harvested in more than 10 years now has been harvested with NP's i bought more than 10 years ago...  SO, i'm using those "terrible junk" NP's your refering too...

The first and biggest animial i shot with the above 8mm was a big moose...  It was in the interior of Alaska, and i shot it twice at about 150 yards...  Both 200 NP's were pass throughs, and both did quite a bit of internal damage to the moose...

Since then i've harvested bears, black and white tailed deer, havolina and many more animials including coyotes...  I shot one coyote at close to 300 yds, and even then there was enough internal damage to show the bullet was doing it's job...

I've also used a "lot" of NP's in 6mm, 270, 7mm, 30, 338, and 375.... and over the years, and i can honestly say "never once" did i experience an NP not opening up....

I think you need a lot more experience with them, before you come here and try convince so many other happy users of them that they "don't" work...  I may have been born, but it wasn't yesterday...

DM

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2008, 06:26:21 AM »
GM, I ain't gonna get into this little schoolyard, neener, neener, neener, wordfest of yours but I will answer ONE of the snotty little remarks of yours. I don't think I know it all, but I KNOW I KNOW more than you.  And one of the things I know is you are making a complete fool of yourself in front of the folks in this forum so you might want to start thinking twice and typing once.  ;)

Offline NONYA

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2008, 09:13:49 AM »
I have killed MANY large game animals with Partitions,never seen one fail,my father killed grizzly,moose,CAPE BUFFALO9 and several other large African species with his 8 mag loaded with 180 gr nosler partitions.The grizzly was shot through the heart on the first shot,completely jellified the heart,he turned and charged and the second shot went in through the throat and completely blew the spine in half as it exited,dropped him on his face,the cape buffalo was shot through the front shoulders at 50 yards and dropped in his tracks,at the guides insistence he shot it again to make sure,all of the bullets did their job on the toughest game there is.I wouldnt hesitate to go after any game in the world with a nosler partition.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2008, 09:32:45 AM »
GM, I ain't gonna get into this little schoolyard, neener, neener, neener, wordfest of yours but I will answer ONE of the snotty little remarks of yours. I don't think I know it all, but I KNOW I KNOW more than you.  And one of the things I know is you are making a complete fool of yourself in front of the folks in this forum so you might want to start thinking twice and typing once.  ;)

Best advice I've seen all day.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Crazyman

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2008, 08:39:15 AM »
It doesn't make any difference what bullet you talk about. There are going to be those that for some reason had what they consider a failure for what ever reason and then contend that the bullet is no good. Some used the bullet for years but dropped it because of one incident. Others may have tried them once and had a bad experience. There is nothing wrong with them sharing their experience but these same people will then argue with others that have used the same bullet extensively with great results that the bullet is no good. These always tend to end up in pissing contests. One thing I've learned in 45 years of hunting is that there are no absolutes when it comes to gun calibers and bullets used to take game. I doubt that anyone here would ever be able to convince me that the 270 with 130gr. core-lokt's that I've used to take moose, caribou, bear, elk and deer thru the years with no problems was a bad choice. It's not rocket science. Don't want a bullet that opens up quickly and may explode with large wound channel?l Well then don't use one that was designed to do that. Same thing could be said about using tough bullets that are designed for larger tougher game on small then skinned game. The results either way may not be to your liking.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2008, 09:34:11 AM »
If Ive learned anything here at GBO its that you are NOT allowed to share a poor experience with any of the managements pet brand names without taking a verbal ass raping from everyone involved without anyone stepping in to put a stop to it,save your breath,nobody here wants to hear anything that goes against their preconceived notion that their pet brands could possibly produce a lemon product from time to time.;)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2008, 12:34:38 PM »
If Ive learned anything here at GBO its that you are NOT allowed to share a poor experience with any of the managements pet brand names without taking a verbal ass raping from everyone involved without anyone stepping in to put a stop to it,save your breath,nobody here wants to hear anything that goes against their preconceived notion that their pet brands could possibly produce a lemon product from time to time.;)

What you SHOULD have taken away from it was that you are NOT going to be allowed to run a smear campaign against a company who is a leader in the industry and call all their products defective cuz you're not smart enough to chose the right bullet for the job. Everyone is welcome to discuss incidents good or bad with any brand of product. They are NOT welcome to go on a hate/smear campaign and that is exactly what you did not just here at GBO but all over the internet. You WILL NOT use GBO for that purpose.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline NONYA

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2008, 02:51:56 PM »

What you SHOULD have taken away from it was that you are NOT going to be allowed to run a smear campaign against a company who is a leader in the industry and call all their products defective cuz you're not smart enough to chose the right bullet for the job. Everyone is welcome to discuss incidents good or bad with any brand of product. They are NOT welcome to go on a hate/smear campaign and that is exactly what you did not just here at GBO but all over the internet. You WILL NOT use GBO for that purpose.

See?"SMEAR CAMPAIGN" lol i get a good laugh out of that every time I hear it,this is EXACTLY what I was talking about.I did share the same story on two other hunting sites and I received nothing but general interest and similar stories in return,obviously my "smear campaign" int rest recognized there,thank God Nosler has you looking out for them,otherwise Id have run them out of business by now!IIf you read my posts above I have nothing but good things to say about the Partition,my smear campaign must have taken a drastic turn...

Offline jhm

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2008, 12:04:06 AM »
And bringing your complaints here to this forum isnt going to HELP you in any campaign either, Here we will have a civil conversation reguarding deer hunting and the equip. and practices used in that and everyone will be happy or we just shut it down.   Thanks and keep it on topic.   JIM

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2008, 03:49:21 PM »
Kind of funny, I listened to all the internet bullet hero's and didn't start using the dreaded Ballistic Tips till recently, reason is I felt no bullet could be that bad. Truth is I have had good to very good performance from all the Nosler products I have tested so far. I did have a 100 grain Nosler Partition from my 6MM give me what I considered poor performance but I didn't recover that hog so I really can't say. I also had a couple deer go a lot farther than they should have using the same bullet but I did recover those deer. And the one awful performance by an early X bullet shouldn't paint all x bullets with poor colors but I have yet to get over that fiasco and may not yet. But now they have a plastic tip and this makes me wonder if they really will expand, might just check it out.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2008, 05:55:33 AM »
To me, the partition is a premium bullet and a very good one. I don't think it was originally designed for nor intended to be used at some sort of hyper velocity. But rather, it was designed to be a "better" cup and core bullet to be used at realistic velocities.
 Since this has kinda spattered over into premium bullets in general, I'd like to say this. Because of the growing "need for speed", they have made bullets harder and harder.  And so, they wouldn't expand.  So they made them hollow pointed. That didn't exactly work either so they started putting little hats on them so they would do what a standard cup and core bullet would do when fired at a realistic velocity.  I really question why anyone feels they need to drive a bullet 3500fps to kill a 100# WT deer? "Because I can" seems such a poor answer.
The truth of the matter is, around here the locals kill a lot of WT deer with .222s, .223s, .243s and the poachers use a lot of Hornets and .22LRs so properly hit, a deer doesn't take a lot of killing.  So if the bullet has a little hat on it or rings around it or whatever and the vendor tells you at a dollar a pop it's a magic bullet AND that bullet gives you the confidence to put that bullet where it belongs, then maybe it is magic.  ;D