Author Topic: Close call with a doe in my toilet...  (Read 1858 times)

Offline unclecheech

• Trade Count: (0)
Close call with a doe in my toilet...
« on: December 08, 2007, 12:33:30 AM »
I live in the country here in Michigan. Thursday night around 430, while making dinner, had a small herd of 5 does come wandering across the road towards my front door. Literally, they turned to the south 5 yards from the steps, walked around the south wall and kept going towards the corn field. They were as big as small horses. My kids were screaming with excitement. I have a private land  antlerless tag, so I got my bow but could not get around the house for an ambush. My wife popped open the bathroom window and with me leaning with my back on the procelain throne, kneeling against the window seat, I took my shot from 10 yards. I would like to say it was a perfect "boilerroom" shot, but that would be lying. My 6 yr old whooped it up at the last second "YEE HAW GET HIM DAD!!!!!!", the doe nearest jerked around as I let fly. The bottom limb smacked the bench in front of me, the arrow skittered off into the snow, lost til spring, and the deer took off. We see them now in the distance in the soybean field, maybe they will come back thru. It was a moment that as my kids get older they will always remember that dad is the redneck shooting thru the bathroom window and maybe don't laugh too hard at me. ;D
"Yeah, tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..."

Offline beemanbeme

Re: Close call with a doe in my toilet...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 05:15:32 AM »
Now that's funny. :D

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 08:19:38 AM »
Like the story cheech...and I think your avatar is hilarious!!  Did you find that somewhere or did you make it?
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 09:14:59 AM »
I think its a option of the ones you can choose from. Yup the toilet deer, its a rare breed.  :D
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 09:17:08 AM »
Yeah thats redneck. ;D ;D ;D
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline unclecheech

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 03:16:14 PM »
thanks, yeah I just got told my avatar was "inappropriate" by another member in a different forum. It is in the 3rd gallery, avatar 1862 I think.
"Yeah, tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..."

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 03:33:14 PM »
Some years back it made the news here in New England that a 80 some year old man from Vermont was doing his usual daily business (on the toilet) and spotted a deer out the window and just happened to have his shotgun sitting in the corner.....as you can guess the deer didn't live. I thought that it was a great story, humorous but great.
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 09:49:54 AM »
I thought only us folks in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia kept a shotgun handy whilst we were on the pot.  But around here, sometimes the pot is a distance from the house.  :D

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 10:36:24 AM »
I might hunt from the toilet later the tree outside of it is loaded with squirrels and I got a itchy trigger finger.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 11:38:42 AM »
I might hunt from the toilet later the tree outside of it is loaded with squirrels and I got a itchy trigger finger.

Make sure you post your story  ;D

Offline Dee

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 12:04:40 PM »
If you shoot deer out you bathroom window, while on the toliet, with your family watching. You might be a redneck. :D

That is good. And I thought my squirrel hunting in my back yard (in town) was redneck.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 03:18:41 PM »
If you lived in Pennsytucky like me - you would have used at least a .22 rifle.

Whats wrong with you?  Don't you like deer meat?

Hunting in the yard isn't very ethical, I'm sure that your kids learned some bad habits that day that they will never forget.

It kind of reminds me of when my daughter was 4 and went to her moms house and told her how to get a Christmas tree.

It had something to do with a 1992 Silverado pick up truck and a bow saw and a ride in the truck.

She said all you have to do mom is get out, run down to the tree, cut it really fast and throw it in the back of the truck.  Only crazy people would pay for something you can get for nothing.

Offline Dee

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 03:29:32 PM »
I think huntin in the yard is very ethical. They get my pecans (the squirrels that is). And the lesson his kids learned in the bathroom that day is, hold your nose and use a rifle. You need less room. ;D

Offline qmastersgt

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 03:12:19 AM »
I love this story. It reminds me of my father standing on the front porch of our cabin, in his underwear, shooting the biggest buck taken all year. We are definitely rednecks. The funniest stories I've ever heard, revolve around hunting and fishing escapades. 

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 06:22:42 AM »
If you lived in Pennsytucky like me - you would have used at least a .22 rifle.

Whats wrong with you?  Don't you like deer meat?

Hunting in the yard isn't very ethical, I'm sure that your kids learned some bad habits that day that they will never forget.

It kind of reminds me of when my daughter was 4 and went to her moms house and told her how to get a Christmas tree.

It had something to do with a 1992 Silverado pick up truck and a bow saw and a ride in the truck.

She said all you have to do mom is get out, run down to the tree, cut it really fast and throw it in the back of the truck.  Only crazy people would pay for something you can get for nothing.

Hunting in the yard isn't ethical? Says who and what's so unethical about it? I'm sick and tired of people like you trying to dictate what is and isn't "ETHICAL"

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 12:39:01 PM »
I think it is ethical. Especially where I live since I am the only one here with my family and were out in the country in the woods? I have my own personal gun range and I sometimes deer hunt here too. It is the only spot I squirrel hunt. My rifles perform just as well as it does on hunting land? So hows it not ethical? I see no problem with it even if you live in a neighborhood but then it would be best to have a pellet rifle. As far as the tree that's stealing not unethical. That's robbery and a crime and that doesn't compare to hunting in a yard or shooting squirrels in your yard. Deer hunting with a .22 is illegal and unethical.

Rick

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 01:24:37 PM »

Hunting in the yard isn't ethical? Says who and what's so unethical about it? I'm sick and tired of people like you trying to dictate what is and isn't "ETHICAL"
[/quote]

Hunting is when you put on your hunting clothes and go out in the woods - at least 200 yards from the truck and shoot at a game animal in fair chase conditions.  Not out the window of the truck or out the bathroom window.

Now if you were at a hunting camp in the middle of no where and a buck walked into the yard while you were eating bacon and eggs.  There wouldn't be anything wrong with taking a shot off the front porch.
As long as you opened the front door and walked out onto the porch and gave the deer a fair chance to run away.

But shooting out your bathroom window with a bow tells me that you were in a safety zone and couldn't discharge a firearm around your neighbors house without causing alarm or looking suspicious. 

You might as well go to one of them game farms and shoot one in the pen.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 01:51:31 PM »
My father-in-law shot one from his second story bathroom last season.  Got out of the shower, looked out the window, went to his bedroom, got the shotgun and a slug and went back, opened the window, and shot it.  He lives in a rural area, so the gun wasn't a problem.  Another guy I know shot one from his kitchen table.  He'd been out that morning, came back in for breakfast.  He had the rifle laying on the table beside him, with the main door open.  It was a warm season, and just the screen door was closed.  He saw a nice buck out back, and now his screen door has a .25 caliber hole in it.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 02:23:11 PM »
Squirrel hunting 200 yards from your truck? Why not 5 feet? How is it not fair chase? Hunting Clothes? I didn't know I couldn't kill a deer without my hunting clothes? Why is a Hunting camp different? If me shooting a deer from my house is wrong then how come shooting a deer from a hunting camp is wrong? They have the same chances of running away. Same with the bathroom. Its not like he didn't open the window which makes noise and it still had time to get away. The deer came just like if you were hunting he came up to where you were and you were in a position to shoot. So he was going to shoot its no different from a tree stand. I am out in the middle of no where I have only one neighbor 4 miles up the road. The guy telling the story said he was out in his house in the middle of no where. How is hunting from your yard not ethical? That's what I want to know? Its fair chase if you ask me. You are out in your yard out in the country and are carrying a gun from the truck and you see a buck and you shoot he obviously is out there so how is it not ethical? So the point of camo is to break up your outline and to keep yourself hidden so your are not seen and you take a shot, then the point of a tree stand is to keep you hidden so if you use these it must be unethical because the deer don't see you. Its the same and always will be. What does the distance I am from my truck have anything to do with it? I see it as a large disavatage to the hunter and not the game because he is in abnormal conditions and he is out there tring to make a shot? So how is it unethical since your hunting clothes, distance from truck, and from the house how is it wrong?

Rick

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 02:51:50 AM »
Where in the world did the 200 yard thing come from???  I don't think I've ever read that in the hunting regs each year.  If I killed one at 199 yds, is it unethical??  I guess I better add a yard stick to my hunting pack.

I'm confused on something else...what did the Christmas Tree story have to do with any of this??  I'm not making the connection.  ???
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline usmc2111

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 03:17:10 PM »
In some states you are required to be a certain distances from dwellings, roadways and vehicles. On game lands here in NC, it is illegal to be withing 150 yards of any residence on game lands or adjacent to it.

Offline Dee

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 03:18:56 PM »

Hunting is when you put on your hunting clothes and go out in the woods - at least 200 yards from the truck and shoot at a game animal in fair chase conditions.  Not out the window of the truck or out the bathroom window.

Now if you were at a hunting camp in the middle of no where and a buck walked into the yard while you were eating bacon and eggs.  There wouldn't be anything wrong with taking a shot off the front porch.
As long as you opened the front door and walked out onto the porch and gave the deer a fair chance to run away.

But shooting out your bathroom window with a bow tells me that you were in a safety zone and couldn't discharge a firearm around your neighbors house without causing alarm or looking suspicious. 

You might as well go to one of them game farms and shoot one in the pen.
[/quote]

Are your eyes brown? If not they should be, cause you full of s$@#. Did you get you info off one of the tv shows that sell guns and ammo, and big game hunts, or a hunting magazine, or perhaps from the moral majority of hunters.
I'll bet your bathroom really does have a throne, or perhaps a bench, gavel and black robe. I really like your next to last ASSUMPTION, of him being in a SAFETY ZONE. It is obvious that not only are you WISE, your CLAIRVOYANT. ::) I'll bet you pee in the punch at parties, when folks start havin too much fun.

Run boys the gamemaster is on our trail. ::)

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 09:08:56 PM »

Are your eyes brown? If not they should be, cause you full of s$@#. Did you get you info off one of the tv shows that sell guns and ammo, and big game hunts, or a hunting magazine, or perhaps from the moral majority of hunters.
I'll bet your bathroom really does have a throne, or perhaps a bench, gavel and black robe. I really like your next to last ASSUMPTION, of him being in a SAFETY ZONE. It is obvious that not only are you WISE, your CLAIRVOYANT. ::) I'll bet you pee in the punch at parties, when folks start havin too much fun.

Run boys the gamemaster is on our trail. ::)

:D :D :D   My thoughts exactly

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 09:12:25 PM »
In some states you are required to be a certain distances from dwellings, roadways and vehicles. On game lands here in NC, it is illegal to be withing 150 yards of any residence on game lands or adjacent to it.

As it is here too, unless you have the property owners permission. That is if you're not already the property owner....

Offline usmc2111

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 04:25:38 AM »
So then what GameMaster is saying is that is when Im in the box blind in the back yard over looking the corn field that Im in the deers safe zone. So then, I will have to move it so that I have to walk a country mile from my house to hunt? Because my neighbors house is about 50 yards beside me. Or is he just jealous of the people who can hunt out their backdoor? Oh and mind you my house is classified in the city limits until you cross the dirt road behind me. About 20 yds from the backdoor. Then it becomes National Forest area.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 10:59:31 AM »
But how is it unethical? The bullet or arrow is just as deadly. It will kill them the same. It is legal if your not in city limits.

Rick

Offline usmc2111

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 11:09:08 AM »
Exactly the point 30-06. My blind is about 20-30 yds in the woods on the other side of the road so I'm good. But the way he sees it is that that should be the deers safe zone.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 12:13:22 PM »
Around here a deer has no safe zone.  ;D

Rick

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »
What if you shoot a christmas tree from your bathroom window. ::) ::) ::)
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 02:54:57 PM »
Sounds like lotsa "deer safe zones" around Cheech.  ;D  How did Cheech's neighbors get into the picture?  You weren't in your neighbor's potty were you? 

I vote that GB ban the word "Ethics"

After I leave my house and yard,  I pass several deer camps on the way to town.  Now then, I cannot shoot the deer in my yard but I can shoot the deer that are in the deer camp yards right?  What about if I call my house a deer camp that I live in year around?  As long as I have on hunting clothes.  What about a pair of cammo drawers?  Say a nice brown on white pattern?

Hunting clothes??  I live in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.  My hunting clothes are the clothes I've got on.  I have hunting clothes and my other clothes.  When I pull my hunting clothes off and put on my other clothes then my other clothes become my hunting clothes.  To put it another way, I have hunting clothes and clothes on the line.  Sunday clothes are hunting clothes that ain't been hunting yet.

Gamemaster, turn you eyes up to the light. I don't believe I've ever seen quite that shade of brown.  ;)