Author Topic: lightfields and 20 ga h@r ush ?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline nik73

• Trade Count: (0)
lightfields and 20 ga h@r ush ?
« on: December 08, 2007, 02:23:23 AM »
I'm interested in the lightfields.  What is the effective range of the lightfield saboted slugs? I need to shoot out to 125 yrds with  knock down power.Will lightfields do the job?If anyone has a sucess story with lightfields please post.Be sure to include yardage and its carnal damage on bambi.

Offline 22lyons

Re: lightfields and 20 ga h@r ush ?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 03:45:52 PM »

I won't go back to lightfields...just my preference.  I didn't get good performance in my USH 20ga.  They shoot VERY accurate due to the slower speed but blew up on a shoulder shot.  Maybe it is just the 20ga I am not sure but never had to worry about taking a shoulder shot to drop a deer.  Trying the sst's this year.  They don't group as well but fine out to 125 yards.  I think they are 300-400 fps faster than the lightfields.  i'm sure many deer have been taken with the lightfields but trying something else.

Offline nik73

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 05:44:58 PM »
 yeah lyons I was leaning toward lightfields as 100 yrds or under,but I dont want to have to worry about yardage so I am going to shoot a couple of boxes of the sst at the range and see if I can get decent groups with them.If I can get sub 3'' groups than I will stop looking.They are 12.00 a box here.

Offline Qtip

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 01:59:45 AM »
I bag-flopped a gorgeous 8pt several years back with a 12ga. Lightfield out of a 870 w/rifled barrel and 2.5X scope. 125 yds. This year I got another 8 pt at 70 yds with a 20ga. Lightfield from an Encore. Bag-flop. Slug hit the last right rib quartering away and lodged under the skin after taking out the left front shoulder. Not bad in my book. The Encore usually groups 2 to 3" at 100 yds. That"s deer dead.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline deerhunter10

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 07:05:29 AM »
After shooting Lightfield's out of my 12 ga I'm definitely convinced to try them out of my 20 ga. Shot 2 deer this year at ranges from 35-60 yards, both dropped where they stood with nothing but a couple flickers of the tail. I've shot a few deer over the years at these same ranges, and never have I had one drop in their tracks, until now. I've spoke with Randy from Tar-hunt who does all the R&D for Lightfield, and says the effective range of these slugs in a 20 ga is about 110 yards. I've also spoke with my gun smith who's specialty is accurizing slug guns, and his slug gun of choice is a 20 ga with Lightfield slugs, and he has shot deer according to him at ranges of 150 plus yards without having to track an animal more than 20-30 yards. As he's told me, when you use Lightfields, when the smoke clears your deer is lying right there!

I do agree that some of those copper slugs have better ballistics, but I've had such a problem with fliers from the copper slug and the inconsistent size of the sabot not spinning together, that I had to look at other alternatives. I've always been impressed with the supposed performance of the Lightfield, but after doing some research and finding out about their locking sabot/slug system and how the sabot stays inplace, even when the slug becomes sub-sonic and accuracy can go a rye fast, I tried them. Amazing not a flier in the bunch, along with tremendous accuracy. I would say if you stick the ranges recommended by Lightfield, should be a solid performer in the field.

Offline nik73

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 12:09:13 PM »
 Deerhunter 10 thanks for your post. I think for the most part Lightfields are the way to go. I have read alot of post with alot of people claiming that lightfields are the standard. So I wanted to believe them. I went to the store today and bought 4 boxes of lightfields exp. 2 3/4  and 1 box of the hornady sst for my 20 ga ush.I shot 1 box to get on target at 50 yrds.After I was on target I shot 3 boxes of lightfields with an average 3 inch group at fifty yrds. I was dissapointed to say the least.I know what you are thinking and I was beginning to think the same but it wasn't me. I'm an ex army airborne infantry guy who is an avid hunter, i know how to shoot. I then pulled out the box of hornady sst and man let me tell you what a difference.I shot my first two slugs in the same hole and my next one was touching for a 1inch group.I put a nickel to cover it up.This is definitely my slug of choice. I am going to get more sst's soon.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 05:06:29 PM »
Deerhunter 10 thanks for your post. I think for the most part Lightfields are the way to go. I have read alot of post with alot of people claiming that lightfields are the standard. So I wanted to believe them. I went to the store today and bought 4 boxes of lightfields exp. 2 3/4  and 1 box of the hornady sst for my 20 ga ush.I shot 1 box to get on target at 50 yrds.After I was on target I shot 3 boxes of lightfields with an average 3 inch group at fifty yrds. I was dissapointed to say the least.I know what you are thinking and I was beginning to think the same but it wasn't me. I'm an ex army airborne infantry guy who is an avid hunter, i know how to shoot. I then pulled out the box of hornady sst and man let me tell you what a difference.I shot my first two slugs in the same hole and my next one was touching for a 1inch group.I put a nickel to cover it up.This is definitely my slug of choice. I am going to get more sst's soon.

nik73,

Take that box of SST's Lot # with you and go back to the store where you got them and buy every one they have with that Lot #. Once you find something that really shoots to you liking, buy as many of the same Lot # that you can afford. Trust me, the next Lot # of SST's you try could be a whole different story.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline nik73

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 04:40:23 AM »
   Busta, Thanks, after I read your post I went out to my garage and found my empty box of sst.I have the lot #.I will go to the store and find more.Thank You for the info.

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 05:11:29 AM »
Same for lightfields,  when you have a good lot # buy all you can.  Mike