Author Topic: Recommendations on a Starter Receiver  (Read 466 times)

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
Recommendations on a Starter Receiver
« on: December 08, 2007, 05:23:34 AM »
I have so far not acquired a AR-16 type weapon, not purposely , just was buying those other arms that have interested me in the last 45 years. I do now want to acquire a Starter Receiver , a lower receiver, I assume, that I can customize with the available uppers and accessories available.  What do you all recommend. I want one that is inexpensive (under 200.00 price range) , that will be buildable. I am leaning towards an upper in .260 to start.

Dave
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline targshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Recommendations on a Starter Receiver
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 08:17:35 AM »
Tackleberry,
You want a forged receiver. Go to AR15.com and read the build forum, there are plenty of AR15 craftsmen there.
RB Precision has A2 stock assembled lowers, Superior Arms brand, forged and with a decent reputation according to the AR15.com builders for $200. You almost cannot build cheaper than you can buy, especially if Armalite or some other manufacturer is running a special. I bought a complete upper from Armalite for $358 shipped during their Thanksgiving sale, and they are presently having their Christmas special. Granted, it is a flat top with A2 front sights and the 20 inch standard service barrel, but with the above lower and the $44 shipped YHM fixed rear sight, the rifle cost under $625.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 11:13:16 AM »
For the 260 Rem, You will need the AR 10 platform.  Based on .308,  So all and any .308 sized cartridges would work.  .243, .260,      7-08, 308, the new .338 fed, and .358 as well for a build up and use standard AR10 mags.  .308 based cartridges will not fit in the AR15 Mag. 
There may be a factory gun out there that is what you want or at least 80% and then add the options you want.  DPMS lists a .260 in their RFLR-260L for $1504.00.  It may be cheaper to start with a factory gun and add the few options you want then to start with a naked lower and build up from there.  I forget what Armalite makes.  But uppers are two pins away from going from .243 to .300WSM.  Also most uppers for the AR will fit from manufacturer to manufacturer as the receiver is pretty standard. 
DPMS builds a whole rifle in a few configurations from .243 to .300 WSM for the AR10 Platform.  With the AR15 you are limited to .204 ruger, .223, 6mm X45 Saw, 6.8 SPC, or the .450 Bush.  I have also seen uppers in .50 Beowolf and .50 A/E.
www.dpmsinc.com
www.armalite.com
I have an Armalite AR 15A2 and have only had one small problem.  It was with Factory ammo and Armalite took the rifle fixed it and sent it back with a new charging handle at no charge, in short order.  The thing runs great and I use it for three gun, bowling pins, and High power matches.

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 12:03:47 PM »
thanks so much for the advice. Sounds like a Ar-10 based lower receiver is the way I'll want to go. The .308 family is what i would want to be able to do. 

I saw a .50 Beowolf fire the other day at the range and it was truly inspiring.....

Thanks Again, Dave
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate