Author Topic: KP1 Review with lots of excellent pics***NOW RANGE REPORT W/PICS***  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
This is not my review, but is from a gentelman that calls 'em like he sees 'em. Can't wait to get my hands on one for a once over.

My KP1 fund suffered a MAJOR set back when my Maytag washer puked out a little over a week ago. For the record, I did get stainless steel, Made In USA, and it is commercial quality with the best warranty out there. Hopefully it will last a little longer than the last two sets I bought. Enough about that.

Here is probably the best review on the KP1 you are likely to find anywhere, by a guy that tells it like it is. He doesn't have a range report as of yet, but as soon as weather permits, I'm sure we will. Enjoy!
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2497846&mpage=1
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: KP1 Review with lots of excellent pics
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 08:58:46 AM »
I can't wait to put mine on order next year. The pictures look great and it really looks better than it did in the 07 catalog. I will get mine with the new knight bases and I do think its built better than my encore.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 12:23:46 PM »
I like the hanger design which should resolve bedding problems with the other break-opens. I like many of the features & I am anxious to see how they shoot. I hope it will be possible t have decent barrel pricing also.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 12:52:05 PM »
RR Arms has the barrels now...blued ones run about $160, stainless about $195.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 02:08:51 PM »
So its OK barrel prices. It's still a nice gun.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 02:42:05 PM »
So its OK barrel prices. It's still a nice gun.

Yes, that's not too bad.

Offline sportsman223

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 08:27:34 AM »
 ???  Why they elected 1:9 twist in 223cal . Not a good choice just my $0.02

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 10:35:35 AM »
Well, I finally got to handle a KP1, and give it the thrice over. It was a SS/Blk Syn Muzzleloader. The rifle balances very well, is lighter than I though it would be, and fits me well. I like a 14-1/4" LOP, and at 14-1/8" I couldn't tell the difference.

I did have a couple issues with the particular rifle I handled, but were mostly cosmetic in nature. The Kick-EEZ pad was not aligned at the top and bottom properly, but could be fixed by loosening the screws and pushing it into place and re-tightening the screws. A Limbsaver pad would also lengthen the LOP out another 1/8" to 1/4".The receiver had a blemish in the raw part of the investment casting, purely cosmetic. The ramrod is the usual piece of hollow aluminum with brass inserts crimped in, not my favorite. This example also had a spot where the octagonal portion of the barrel slightly rubbed the left side of the receiver, The scope base holes were only tapped 4-5 threads deep (probably plenty), but the holes were deep enough for 8-10 threads. The serial # of this example was 000056X, while another one in the mid 600's is a much cleaner/better example.

Now understand, when I go over a rifle, I scrutinize. I work with tolerances of three ten thousandths of an inch (.0003") everyday. With a mean of .00015", most everything falls into the .0001" to .0002" range, so a few thousandths really stands out to my eye.

Overall, I think the rifle will be a huge success for Knight, and IMO just what they need after a few clumsy years trying to launch less desirable new models.

The KP1 is very easy on the eye, and although it is a first year introduction, I'm betting this will be the bread and butter of their line in a couple years. Are there some improvements to be made? Sure, but that goes with anything that is manufactured. Once the supply catches up with the demand, and these rifles get in the hands of the true product testers (Hunters), I am sure we will see some improvements to this very desirable rifle. I can't wait to get my hands on a SS/Sandstone Laminate model, only available in the muzzleloader configuration at this time. I would also like to get at least one rim-fire and one center-fire barrel for it.

The Encore has dominated this niche in the market up to this point, now there is a new kid in town with a much better price point. ;)
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 11:01:24 AM »
Sure is. The t/c is a very nice gun and so is this. I would rate them as the same. I would say that the Knight will be T/c's closest contender for the market now and I don't think it will affect the sales of the Encore. The Knight will sell good and it will be just as big as an encore but the encore will still have the upper hand because it has been out for so long. The CVA doesn't stand a chance to the knight though.

Rick

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
Re: KP1 Review with lots of excellent pics***NOW RANGE REPORT W/PICS***
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 06:52:52 PM »
First review and range report on the Knight KP1. Make sure to check out page 2 also.

http://www.sunrisearchery.com/KNIGHT_KP1.htm
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline jonv

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 12:07:02 AM »
Just wanted to comment on the awesome review, very professional and unbiased.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 11:56:25 AM »
I would like to see better accuracy but you got to think now that he shot it 28 times and after 10 accuracy is bad even if he swabs the barrel between shots. I think the center fire will be great and I am not to sure what to think about the rim fire conversion they had. Seems like they could make it more user friendly. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate it about a 8 1/2 and a T/C a 9 due to the more friendly user conversions. It will get better with time and I hope Knight upgrades the rim fire conversion.

Rick

Offline shilo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007, 03:43:50 PM »
I like the looks of this gun. Never really cared for the looks of the Encore although it is a very nice gun. The other thing is it looks like barrels will be reasonably priced for it. TC was really proud of their barrels. Look forward to getting my hands on one to check it out. I hope they decide to offer either a 20ga or 12ga rifled slug barrel in the future.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 03:46:07 PM »
I am hoping they will have more for 08. Can't wait till it comes out.

Rick

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 06:44:06 PM »
I shot one!!!!! :D ;) I was helping out the gun shop with the Christmas crowd and sold a KP1 and it was in .270. He mounted a Bushnell 3200 on it and he let me sight it in for him for his son. I took it out the the range and shot 3/4inch groups with Federal Fusions. I can't wait till I get one. That was the only one they had on order for a while and it had just came in when someone saw it and bought it. It is a better fit and finish than the Encore. Ill keep you guys posted on more info on barrels. Ohh yeah it this one was Stainless Synthetic also. It was sold for $559. And $199 for the scope and a %15 Christmas discount. He got a deal.

Rick

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 12:53:34 AM »
Rick,

Did that .270 have an ejector or an extractor? I'm thinking they will all be extractors, but thought I'd ask since I haven't seen a CF rifle yet.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 05:12:33 AM »
Extractor. The one I held wasn't 8lbs either. With the scope it was getting close to it I imagine.

Rick

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 02:20:06 PM »
I shot one!!!!! :D ;) I was helping out the gun shop with the Christmas crowd and sold a KP1 and it was in .270. He mounted a Bushnell 3200 on it and he let me sight it in for him for his son. I took it out the the range and shot 3/4inch groups with Federal Fusions. I can't wait till I get one. That was the only one they had on order for a while and it had just came in when someone saw it and bought it. It is a better fit and finish than the Encore. Ill keep you guys posted on more info on barrels. Ohh yeah it this one was Stainless Synthetic also. It was sold for $559. And $199 for the scope and a %15 Christmas discount. He got a deal.

Thanks for the heads up. I assume this was 3 shot groups @ 100 yards. It appears that this was without a barrel breakin, so 3/4"@ 100 yards with factory ammo with a brand new rifle is quite encouraging.

Thanks again

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 02:25:12 PM »
Sure was. The shots were 3/4in at 100 and I was using a Caldwell Lead Sled. I shot 3 fouling shots before though and then used about 6 additional rounds to site it in good.

Rick

Offline TDH

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 01:37:44 PM »

I  assume the $599 is with the BP barrel and the .270. Please respond

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2007, 04:26:42 PM »

I  assume the $599 is with the BP barrel and the .270. Please respond

He said $559 for the .270 SS/SYN, the .50 Cal SS/SYN Muzzleloader I handled was $549. I did talk to a shop that sold their first 2 SS/SYN (.50 Cal and a .45-70) for $649 each. Every place I have contacted that had them sold them as soon as they hit the shelves, except for the one muzzleloader I handled was there for a couple days.

You can bet they are going to get full bore retail if they want to until the supply catches up with the demand. I am waiting for a Sandstone Laminate, but nobody has seen one of those yet in my area.

Sports South Suggested Retail Prices are $608.47 for the SS/BLK SYN, most retailers are about $50 under that right now, probably at the MSRP.

RR ARMS has them cheaper if you have a FFL. Not in stock at the moment.
http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GP1M20950SC
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 10:43:58 AM »
Seen another but this time in ML. It was setup with the 209 breech plug. Even at that price it is still cheaper than a new $650 Encore with stainless synthetic. Prices should go down as more and more get put on the market and guys find out how great they were.

Rick