Author Topic: Hunting with cast bullets?  (Read 766 times)

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Hunting with cast bullets?
« on: December 10, 2007, 03:15:00 AM »
As I have posted before I seem to have one of those overbore .44 mags.  My question is, since this thing is not that accurate with JSP can the non-expanding cast that I can get in .432 be used for hunting or is the expanding bullet needed?  Thanks Tim for showing me where to find those BTW.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Hunting with cast bullets?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 03:26:17 AM »
I think a good cast bullet load should be about as good as anything in the .44 mag.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 03:37:37 AM »
Thanks for the fast reply Coyote.  I thought, if they could be used, that the Keith type would be better then the RFN since none of them will expand.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 03:48:42 AM »
When you are using cast bullets, penetration is the answer.So a rfn will tend to penetrate better than a swc.I know in my 357  180 gr wfngc will go completely thru a mule deer  and let a lot of air in,  just my2c    Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 04:03:29 AM »
I feel your pain on the oversize .44 as I had one.  I never got anything to group consistently.  The best I did was with the Hornady 300gr XTPs and a max load of H110.  I sold my barrel to someone that was going to make a 445 super mag out of it.  The 432 beartooth bullets didn't do well in it either.  I do shoot laser cast bullets in my 45/70 and while I killed a deer with them this year and got a complete pass through I don't think I got any expansion.  I guess the thing to remember is that a 44/45 slug that has not expanded is probably larger than an expanded .30.  Good luck with that old barrel.  The new ones reportedly have tightened up a lot and if I have any cash left after Christmas I will probably order one.  I really like single shots and I really want one to shoot good in .44.  It could be a case of "Hope springs eternal" or "There is one born every moment".

RJ

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 08:16:58 AM »
Well Ranger I was going to get some beartooth .432 cast for this project.  Now after your post I might just get some Hornady 300gr.  I think I will solve my problem after season when I just send my frame back for a .30-30.  Please tell me no one is having trouble with those.  This has been one frustrating barrel.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 08:29:34 AM »
If there is a NEF barrel with almost  no problems it is the 30-30.Now that I have said that the naysayers will chime in. I love my 30-30 it shoots everything I load it with more accuracy, than  I can use .   hth   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 11:44:12 AM »
I agree that cast is your best bet. No expansion needed. You can't go wrong with a 30-30 either

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 12:50:23 PM »
When using cast bullets in a large caliber (35 and up) the best results come from a heavy bullet with a wide flat nose. They already have the size (diameter) needed for a clean kill so you want it to plow through and damage as much as possible. A round nose bullet has a tendency to push through with out much damage, even a large 45 round nose does not kill as well as you might expect. Just my 2 cents.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 03:49:05 PM »
I shoot a 440 grain 50 caliber bullet with a 90% meplat so I don'tworry about expansion.  A clean 45 caliber hole through the ribs of anything that breathes quickly lets the air out.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 06:16:10 PM »
If there is a NEF barrel with almost  no problems it is the 30-30.Now that I have said that the naysayers will chime in. I love my 30-30 it shoots everything I load it with more accuracy, than  I can use .   hth   Doug

That and the 45-70's... ;) ;)

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...