Author Topic: Covert orange??  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Covert orange??
« on: December 10, 2007, 09:19:25 AM »
Recently I ran across a product called Covert Orange.  This is supposed to be caps and vests that appear as solid blaze orange to the human eye but because deer see in a slightly different spectrum than we do the fabric appears as a kind of camouflage to the deer.  Is anyone familiar with this product and more important has anyone actually used it and if so what is your opinion of it?

RJ

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Covert orange??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 12:06:17 PM »
I have never heard of the product. IMO we have more interest in blaze orange clothes than deer seem to.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »
Just another gimmick to get you to part with your hard earned money.

Studies have shown that deer do not pay attention to what you wear. 
They do however pay attention to movement.  If you limit your movement, it will work better than if you wore an all camo outfit and moved around a lot.

I saw Bubba on Buckmasters once - where he wore an outfit that looked like a big old ear of corn.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 01:16:48 PM »
There's your million dollar money maker right there. A corn on the cob suit, like a mascot costume. The when the deer come to eat the corn, BANG!
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 02:28:05 PM »
I attended the ATA show last weekend. I noticed ASAT camo had their 3-D jacket with orange strips in it on display

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 03:44:22 AM »
Did you ever see the one where they had him dress in the giant turkey suit and he was walking around in the field like a turkey.

It was comical.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 04:47:50 AM »
wear an orange vest and be still !
hats are bad cause you move your head some to see , gloves are bad also .
vest are on parts that move less . leave orange clothes in the sun some to fade just enough to get rid of the glow but not enough to be illegal !
deer get used to things , so if any movement is detected where they aren't used to seeing it they run !
and i saw a program on what you asked about or something like it and not sure i see it being a benefit for extra cost
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Hammerspur

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 05:25:17 AM »
I'm not familiar with that product and a search didn't help much. I'm with the no movement advice 100% though!

I had a doe spot me first at 30 yds, just my head panning slowly right, wearing full camo, wind right to left obliquely.
Saw her staring at me and I froze. After a few, she relaxed, walked 10-15 yds. and bedded.
I stood there watching her sleep for over two hours hoping her boyfriend would come calling... no luck.

Eventually she jumped up like a bucket of ice water had been thrown on her... the wind-thread on my barrel was waving in her direction for the first time.
I remained frozen and watched her groom herself and slowly amble off.

Staying still and using the wind are the two most important tools, IMO.
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 05:35:47 AM »
I agree with the no movement school.
Few years ago I feel asleep, wearing blaze orange vest, hat and gloves, sitting under a tree. Woke up and there was a young doe less than five feet away looking at me trying to figure out what I was. Almost turned herself inside out trying to get away when I reached into my pocket to get my camera.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 05:42:29 AM »
the orange thing is this , its law and most expect it ! so if they don't see orange they figure no one is there ! yes a stupid way to look at it but i hear people say if i don't see orange i shoot ! NO I DON"T HUNT WITH THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that's how i settled on the vest ! wish i did not need it but i fear the numb skulls more than the game wardens ticket !
by the way when some one tells me that i always say i return fire !

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 06:48:02 AM »
Around here they'll say "I didn't see nothing but I had a couple of "sound shots".  Then they can't understand why folks post their land.

Offline Dillohide

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 06:41:27 AM »
Don't know if there is any basis in fact for this but I've always heard deer are color blind. Camo looks good but not sure how much it really helps in deer hunting. Remaining still, hidden or both is the key. Blaze orange is not law in Texas unless you are hunting public land ... then both hat and vest, jacket or shirt is required and very prudent.

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 08:19:46 AM »
The fleece orange-camo jacket you see is part of my layer system.  The morning I got his buck it was 15° and sunny.  The jacket shown was on the back of my pack, and my outer top was a very bright 2x oversized hooded sweatshirt.  I wore a blaze orange-camo cap, with a blaze orange stocking cap pulled over it.  I wear the jacket shown under the oversized sweatshirt when needed, or as an outer garment in above freezing temperatures.

I preferred the camo pattern orange to the solid blaze orange, but I purchased two solid blaze orange hooded, zip-up sweatshirts on sale.  I have taken 3 or 4 bucks wearing the blaze orange fleece jacket. 

Movement is what gave me away to this buck.  I had glassed him for about 20-minutes and then tried to find a hole in the cover with my scope, the movement of the rifle, and possible reflection off the rifle caused the buck to move out.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 11:24:31 AM »
I feel scent and movement are way more important than one brand of camo over another

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 02:26:41 PM »
Hunted Idaho this fall.  No orange requirement.  Still wore mine for my own protection.  I'm convinced it is more safe to wear it.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 02:39:58 AM »
i live just off a major road leading away from the city to hunting areas , the first day of hunting season around here is the pumpkin head parade because of all the trucks heading out to hunt with most hunters wearing orange hats !