Author Topic: Doe Hunt  (Read 604 times)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
Doe Hunt
« on: December 11, 2007, 01:54:18 PM »
Well I get on my way to the lease and deal with freezing rain on the way there and the first evening, Sunday. Deer re bedded down so I get in the cabin and make something to eat. I get up at 6:15 am and man it's dark and cold. Very little movement till 10:30 am Monday. I see a big 12 point with a real high rack, some does with fawns and various spikes, fork horns. Around noon I see the 12 point again this time he has a couple does with him. I drive on by and park on the other side of some Oak brush and park my folding chair in the direction they are traveling. I guessed right except they come out right on top of me. I shoot the biggest doe as she turns to take off, hit her right almost broadside at the back edge of her shoulder above the elbow in the muscle. the bullet makes a 1 inch hole in the onside ribcage, totally destroys the lungs, makes a 2 inch hole in the offside ribs and a small exit of 1/2 inch. She drops but kicks a bit but she's done. There are a few flecks of jacket material in the hide ariund the exit hole. I just got done skinning both does and quartering them. I know on the first one there is a lot of blood under the shoulder blade even though the bullet exited behind and below it.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline rickt300

Re: Doe Hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 02:19:49 PM »
This morning. It turned to just rain last night and it's raining hard now ant 6:15 am. I decide to sit in one of the stands and watch a feeder.  I see three sets of does that each have 2 fawns, a buck that would have been a nice 10 point if he still had both horns, a small 8 point, a spike, a forkhorn and a really big 8 point. Huge bodie for the area. He has 10 inch tines in the back but his second from front tines are 3 inches long and too close to the point.  His main horn is what is impressive as they run way out to the end of his nose and he had to be 20 inches wide.  He is an older buck and as he walks away his horns are easily wider than his body. Very thick too. All this during a pretty heavy cold rain, the deer don't seem to care. But still no doe. I walk to my truck and decide to see if all the feeders are running.  It's 9:45 am and the rain is letting up. Suddenly there are deer everywhere, does, fawns, bucks. I find to a feeder that has gone empty so I head back to the cabin and pick up 6 bags of corn, go back to the feeder, back my truck up to it and fill it up. I look up from pouring a bag into he top of the 55 gallon drum and spot a lone doe about 125 yards away in a plum thicket. I climb out of my way too tall 4 wheel drive by climbing down the tire, get my rifle and climb back up to where i can rest my rifle on top of the feeder.  I am standing on the edge of the bed trying to get a rest over the edge of an open 55 gallon drum but things get solid and I squeeze off. I hear a "WHOP" and I can't see her anymore.  I watch for a bit and finish filling the feeder then put the lid on it.  I hit her at the forth from last rib pretty high and her hind legs must have been lower than her front legs as the bullet goes thru the spine at an angle and out about two inches behind the front of the hindquarter. This bullet leaves a 1 inch or so exit hole. I lose the tenderloins and some backstrap but the hole in the hindquarter doesn't look too bad. I have all the meat on ice and I am too tired to start cutting it up yet but I will make a note of the damages.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 03:54:11 PM »
The first doe was shot with a 6MM 95 grain Ballistic Tip. There was no real damage to the far side shoulder. The second doe was shot with a 140 grain Nosler Partition. I did lose some backstrap on one side but lost very little meat from the hindquarter. I think if I had used the Ballistic Tip on the second doe I would have lost more backstrap but the end result would have been the same, a deer to clean.

Offline smokepolehall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:36:59 PM »
Congrats to you on taking some good eating nannys.
Keep yer nose into the wind & slip from tree to tree in the shadows, you have come fer pilgrim! Miss Vixen & Miss Phoenix, I am The Vixenmaster!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 12:21:06 AM »
rick, where is your land located?  There seems to be a lot of deer activity and cold weather where you are so I am assuming it isn't in the south.  I love hunting in the rain to be there just when it subsides.  Sure it is hard on equipment, but the deer get real active right after a rain a lot of times.  Congratulations on two nice hunts.

Offline rickt300

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 03:40:44 AM »
It is around 40 miles south of Childress and 100 miles west of Wichita Falls in King county. It is really the middle of nowhere.