Author Topic: What's reliable for CCW?  (Read 1073 times)

Offline Bowhunter57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What's reliable for CCW?
« on: June 24, 2003, 08:35:38 AM »
Here in Ohio the CCW is near passing into effect and my first choice for a handgun would be a revolver. I'm going off of my years of experience with hunting handguns. I know for a fact that if I'd get cornered by or charged by a wild boar, a feed jam would be the last thing I need. Therefore, I shoot/ hunt with revolvers.

Recently, in a local gun shop I handled a Taurus .45 Long Colt w/ a ported 2" barrel (5 shot) and it was stainless....all for $225.  :grin: This would be my first choice, based on my experience with hunting handguns.

Is there a such a thing as a reliable semi-auto?

Your opinions and experience is appreciated.
Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Offline L-Roy

• Avid Poster
Reliable Semi Auto
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 02:21:14 PM »
Sure is.  It is the 1911 Colt, in .45ACP.  Keep it near stock, without glamorous add on's and it wil function with precision!
I am, therefore, I think.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Don M.

Offline Bowhunter57

• Contributor
What's reliable for CCW?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 04:52:09 PM »
L-Roy,
I was afraid that someone would bring up the 1911 Colt. I used to own a Series 70 Government Model and you're correct, it is very dependable.

However, I have a hard time getting it to hit anything for me, as it does not fit my hand. Nothing in a "1911" frame style fits my hand and therefore I do not shoot them very well at all.  :(  Perhaps you could suggest another brand/ style of semi-auto?  :roll:

Thank you, for the suggestion.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Grip?
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 04:36:59 AM »
Bowhunter57:  what was it about the 1911 that did not fit your hand?  If it was too large a grip, some frame undercutting and thin grip panels might help.  If it was too small a grip, you can always get larger grip panels.

I am afraid that you are liable to encounter the same problem with many of the larger caliber semi autos but grip aside, every semi auto out there is totally dependant upon the ammo being used.  If you get a dud round in a semi you have to clear it.  With a revolver you can just pull the trigger again and rotate (revolve) up a fresh one.  

But I'm curious, if that Taurus in 45 Colt fits your hand well enough to interest you then I would like to know what it was about that Colt that you didn't like.  Mikey.

Offline L-Roy

• Avid Poster
Fit
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 05:20:44 AM »
What fits one, may not fit another.  The mentioned Tarus does not fit my hand because of the reach from grip to trigger with the "Ribber" grips.  My fingers are too short to comfortably reach the trigger in the DA mode.

However, I have no trouble with the 1911 in reaching the trigger.

Springfield, Glock, Sig are relialble performers in the semi auto field.  Perhaps one of them may fill the bill for you.

If you decide to go with a semi auto, look closely at selection of one that is either SA before and after cycling, or DA before and after cycling.  If an auto is DA for first shot, and then becomes SA after cycling, one may not have a proper feel for the weapon in a critical shooting situation.

Don M.

Offline Bowhunter57

• Contributor
What's reliable for CCW?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 01:09:20 PM »
Mikey,
It's the grip style that doesn't fit me, on the 1911 style semi-autos. The Taurus model 92 (in 9mm) or the same large frame size in the model 100B (in 40 S&W), fits my hand very well. Also, the Glocks, Smith & Wesson model SW99 and the Ruger "P" series all fit my hand well.

Just as a personal preference I like .40 or .45 calibers and full sized handguns. No compacts.

L-Roy,
The Taurus I was refering to is a revolver model 450SH2C.
www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?models=450SH2C&category=Revolver (you'll have to type the model number in the search bar, on the Taurus web site)

Thank you for the information, thus far. You guys have been of great help to me, while I "sort" this selection out. :roll:

Offline Desperado357

What's reliable for CCW?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2003, 05:17:27 PM »
L-Roy i take your not a kimber fan :-)

Offline Desperado357

What's reliable for CCW?
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2003, 05:20:33 PM »
i heard from my pawn shop owner (ex cop) said that when he was at range and folks were testing all kinds of guns that HKs were the only ones not having jam problem that day. proly just tryin to sell somethin but then again maybe not i do know who he is tho

Offline L-Roy

• Avid Poster
Great
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 06:15:15 AM »
Kimbers are fine, albeit, in my opinion, over-priced for what you get!

Just an aside, for 1911 fans, leave them as John M. designed them.  Leave them full sized, and in .45ACP, or you will run into reliability, or lack thereof, problems.  

Not just opinion, but demonstrated fact.

Don M.

Offline Mainspring

• Avid Poster
What's reliable for CCW?
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2003, 07:37:59 AM »
If it were me this time around, I'd look hard at the Glock G36.  A single stack (slim) .45 with Glock simplicity and reliability.  Hard to beat in my book.
The key to winning a gun fight is to take your time...quickly

If you continue to think as you've always thought, you'll continue to get what you've always got...Is it enough?