Author Topic: Watched the Republican "debate" the other day...  (Read 482 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Watched the Republican "debate" the other day...
« on: December 14, 2007, 08:16:44 AM »

I placed the word "debate" in parenthesis because it was not a real debate but more of a "moderator bait"..the moderator trying to bait the
     various participants into looking bad.
   In any case I have about decided by analysis, that the "focus group" Fox had set up to get instantaneous  answers about the
   impressions of the candidates, was heavily loaded with party operatives that were already committed to one or the other of the main
   candidates.
      Curiously enough Huckabee, who is surging among the general Iowa Republican voters could hardly get a "blip" on the graph from
    the party faithful, even when he made some very profound statements.

Even when Ron Paul and Duncan Hunter made just as sensible and important statements as the top 3 or so...
     They couldn't BUY a favorable rating. Both these men are very strong Constitutionally and esp where the 2nd amendment is concerned...
      their score was still close to flatline.
                 I tend to think the general Iowa Republican voter, will not be a duplicate of the "focus Group"..

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Watched the Republican "debate" the other day...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 08:27:06 AM »
I missed the focus group but did have the live feed to my computer while I worked.

I minimized it so all I heard was the audio.

regarding the moderator, you're right.

Huckabee sounded genuine.

Romney sounded a little artificial.

Paul sounded sincere.

But Keyes annoyed the living hell out of me.

Tancredo sounded like a typical politician.

Thompson seemed a little artificial too.

Everytime I hear Giuliani, it reminds me of listening to hoods trying to fib their way out of being busted.

Not getting into their content, just a subjective impression.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 02:24:01 PM »
Ncsurveyor;

Sometimes it is probably advantageous to have just the sound..perhaps that way the "window dressing" doesn't interfere with with the content...LOL

I too liked Huckabee.although I don't think he "shined" as much as usual ! He usually has a quip or two that shows he is "quick on his mental feet"..a necessary component when dealing with other leaders.
   The quickest wit was probably Thompson, when he asked for a minute to explain his position on "global warming". When the "moderator" refused the minute to explain
  his position ..he in effect..told her to "stick" her question..and got a cheer from the focus group.
      I like Romney much more than Guliani..I guess primarily because I know Romney has traditional values. I really don't want our CinC to be without them...

Apparently some Evangelicals are having a struggle considering voting for a Mormon as President ! I am not troubled by that, because I am voting for a new President...
   not a new Pastor..so our theological positions can differ. So, if it comes to Nov '08 and he is the nominee, I will happily vote for him rather than the other candidate who will be guaranteed to be a gun grabber, abortion pusher, "gay" marriage supporter, big govt, UN loving, hunter-hating, cut and runner..
    One who will raise taxes, ruin the economy, encourage further coarsening of our culture, give illegals full driving & voting rights along their with amnesty.

If he/she is one of the Dems #1 & #2 front runners..we will either have one that "claims" Christianity and shows no fruit or one who goes to a church that regards Africa their home rather than the USA..and the Pastor of which says that due to their history, black people can understand the Bible MUCH BETTER that the rest of us.
  Besides that, some think this aspiring President.. may be a Muslim rendition of the " Manchurian Candidate"..   

...I know I would rather have a Mormon..

Any Republican now running, from Huckabee & Hunter to Romney, McCain & Paul, would be better than the best Democrat..whoever that is (I suspect Richardson).

Only if it were Guliani vs Richardson, would I have to pause and think more about it .

I still believe that some..notably Hunter and Paul were not fairly considered by the "focus group"..

I did see some of the Democrats  candidate+moderator "love-fest"..as much as I could stomach..and noticed that she did give the Democrats a full minute or more each
  to elaborate upon their views on the  "global warming" myth..but then, I expected that !  Of course the Democrats all believed it hook/line/sinker !

..She didn't ask them about the tooth fairy or Easter bunny !
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »
Gotta love the "getting rid of the FBI" comment!!!  ;D
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 01:07:49 PM »

Yes; I don't agree with eradicating the FBI & CIA and other intel agencies. They are not perfect, nothing man-made is..but they are still our first line of defense against the devils that would destroy us !

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 02:38:43 PM »

Yes; I don't agree with eradicating the FBI & CIA and other intel agencies. They are not perfect, nothing man-made is..but they are still our first line of defense against the devils that would destroy us !

Correct, if he had said he needed to improve, strengthen, take the corruption out of or an overhaul I would have understood. It would have even helped if he had said he wanted to start from scratch with another intell organization. But to just eliminate the FBI is goofy. I believe he is one of the Liberal Libertarians & just believes that if we just don't bother anyone they won't bother us. That worked so well for the European Jews in the early 40's didn't it?
 ::)
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 01:27:16 PM »
Romney and Huckabee are the only ones who stand a chance.  The thing that hurts Romney is the flip flopping he has done on key issues.  Thompson has fizzled and if it were not for his time on TV and the movies, we would have already quit talking about him.  Guliani can not be trusted and everybody knows it, a vote for him is a vote for more gun control. Ron Paul has never and probably will never get the publicity he needs.  He was treated rather unfairly I think during the first debate.  Huckabee is looking better everyday and maybe our only chance at Obama and Clinton.  I'm going with Huckabee in the primary.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 01:41:53 PM »
  By the time our primary comes around, the candidate may already be chosen..and since I am registered Conservative, i won't get to vote in the primaries..

My home state is so bassakwards..if one is not registered with one of the two major parties, he normally cannot vote in the primaries.

In any case, 11 months is a long time in politics, and I wouldn't count anybody out..one mud-digging event can knock someone out.

Mitt Romney's Dad George, was knocked out of the presidential race simply because of one awkward remark. Nothing terrible, but the media butchered him with it !

Who can forget Edmund Muskie..he thought shedding some sympathetic tears would enhance his image..the voters didn't agree..

...And who can ever forget Dukakis' "tank ride"...LOL