Author Topic: Quess you were right GB  (Read 39596 times)

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Quess you were right GB
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2008, 03:28:04 PM »
I to have ms did my shot I feel sick today. But going black powder on Tuesday.

Avonex?? I'm guessin? Well...good luck in BP season. Keep your powder dry!!!

Dave
Yep 8 years now and other drugs I have miss alot of work & hunting because of ms. Thanks for the luck.

Avonex for me too about 8 years now.  Tomorrow is Bronchioscopy and biopsy for the cancer.  Be in the hospital most of the day and get results later.  This area has the worst Internet connections I've ever been.  Cannot stay online once there, and can only get online with dial up.  NO broadband availalble for most the area in SE Oklahoma.   NO DSL or cable either for that matter.  If all goes as expected, I'll be down here for the next 6 months for treatment.  Then I can install another satellite broadband system with TV.   Sure be nice to get out and do some varmint hunting come spring and finish business loose ends while recuperating.  Will keep all posted and thanks for the support.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline SharonAnne

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 06:40:23 PM »
I had my medical evaluation on Friday for Workers Comp and Social Security. SS said they would accept the WC decision. I think I will do ok. The Dr. made comments that made me think he will report I am totally disabled. I REALLY hope so. If SS does not certify my disability by the end of December then I lose my COBRA insurance. Even though SS administers COBRA, if my claim is not certified by the end of December then I cannot have COBRA ever again. Government beureaucrats will be our undoing. Although once my Workers Comp is certified then they will be paying my med ins premiums.

On Saturday I had my Social Security psychological exam. 2 1/2 hr long!!! SHEESH! I am not sure what it was all about. Pshrink exam then sort of an IQ exam.

I did start seeing a new pain management DR. They have a multi-modality clinic. They offer medication management, TENS, Accupuncture, Biofeedback, massage, physical therapy, guided imagery.
He changed my meds and started me with a TENS unit. It has really helped with the back pain. It cannot be used for abdominal pain because it will cause cramps that are just as bad as the pain being treated. He wants me to do accupuncture and biofeedback but my insurance will not pay for it. When I get on Workers Comp then I can get it paid for. I have seen several people at the clinic. I guess I am a complicated case and they can use the expertise of several of their practitioners. One thing I think is cool is I have seen 2 Nurse Practitioners. They can practice independently of the Drs though here they work collaboratively. As an RN I like to see Nurses work in diverse fields.

I know it has been a bit since I checked in here but I will report on how I do with this new clinic.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2008, 07:44:06 AM »
Yep 8 years now and other drugs I have miss alot of work & hunting because of ms. Thanks for the luck.

MS,

Yeah....I hear ya. All you can do is what your body allows you to do. I've tried to "fight thru" it....but found out (the hard way) that this disease isn't like a head cold or a hangover. If my body says "lay in your recliner all day today" then I just do it. If I don't, then there is "Heck" to pay for 3 days minimum.

I hear ya on the "other drugs" to. All the other "stuff" helps....but then it takes away from something else. All drugs for this are a "comprimise". It's like....take this drug and the pain in your hands and feet will diminish....however, the down side is it will add to your fatigue. So....what do you want? Pain and more energy....or no pain and more fatigue? It's like a dog chasing it's tail sometimes!!!!

Go hunting!!!  Enjoy the day!!! And remember, if today isn't good....tomorrow probably will be. Hang in there. (Really ...hang in there...that's not just a cheerleader saying this!)

Dave

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2008, 07:48:45 AM »
Avonex for me too about 8 years now.  Tomorrow is Bronchioscopy and biopsy for the cancer.  Be in the hospital most of the day and get results later.  This area has the worst Internet connections I've ever been.  Cannot stay online once there, and can only get online with dial up.  NO broadband availalble for most the area in SE Oklahoma.   NO DSL or cable either for that matter.  If all goes as expected, I'll be down here for the next 6 months for treatment.  Then I can install another satellite broadband system with TV.   Sure be nice to get out and do some varmint hunting come spring and finish business loose ends while recuperating.  Will keep all posted and thanks for the support.

Deltecs,

Man......talk about gettin kicked when your down. Well, all I can tell you is what a good friend of mine once told me. She said God only throws at you what you can handle. Her name was Ruth and she was a sweetheart of a lady. She passed away about a year ago. What a dear.

Get your treatments and get out there this summer! There are varmits with your name all over 'em!!!

Dave

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2008, 07:51:35 AM »
I know it has been a bit since I checked in here but I will report on how I do with this new clinic.

SharonAnne,

Please check back and let us know your status. You "sound" better (I don't know how sound can come thru a post....but I'm thinkin it can) than your last post. It seems you have a lot of things going on right now. Keep focused on what's important and don't let 'em rattle you. Stay calm through this stuff.

Dave

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 12:15:23 PM »
God only throws at you what you can handle. He must have me confused with someone else. He has WAY too much confidence in me. Yes Mike, sound can come through in print. I am doing better. My disability checks are now being deposited directly. No more checks.
I can move a bit better. I can walk with a 4 wheel walker. I drove this week. The first time in 21 months. I hurt in new places. I never thought about the 'exercise' of driving. I was very fatigued. I drove only 60 miles in 4 trips.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline LowPro

Re: Guess you were right GB
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2009, 08:01:25 AM »
I thought I'd reply to this thread, since it's been about 6 months since the last reply...don't want the forum to close!  ;D

I'm a T-7 paraplegic...been in a wheelchair, since December '78.  Yep...over 30 years, now.

I was introduced to hunting 18 years ago...I finally found my passion!

The key to surviving any disability, is finding something you're passionate about.  If all you do is sit around re-living the glory days...well, you're living in the past. Not to mention, reminding yourself of all the things you can't do anymore.

If you tell yourself that you "can't" do something, then you're right...you can't, and probably never will. 

There are more ways to skin a cat, than you can shake a stick at...

For example:  I live on a farm and drive my tractor, and get around my property with a UTV & ATV...they are all (except the ATV) fitted with custom-made hand-controls.  Some friends of mine are welders, fabricator's, etc...and they don't mind helping me out with idea's, suggestions, plus donating their time & materials, to assist me in getting out there.

I'm way past not asking for help.  I used to be busy making a living, but now I'm busy making a life.  False-pride robs too many folks of possibilities.

Ask, and you shall receive...don't ask, and remain living a sedentary lifestyle.  The choice is yours.

Offline Skunk

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2009, 08:39:09 AM »
LowPro, I'm not trying to follow you around the forums, ;) but you're posting some really good stuff here today. Thanks for sharing your Bio and an extra big thanks for your excellent advice and words of encouragement. A big warm welcome to GBO to you.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 08:41:03 AM »

I was introduced to hunting 18 years ago...I finally found my passion!

The key to surviving any disability, is finding something you're passionate about.  If all you do is sit around re-living the glory days...well, you're living in the past. Not to mention, reminding yourself of all the things you can't do anymore.

If you tell yourself that you "can't" do something, then you're right...you can't, and probably never will. 

There are more ways to skin a cat, than you can shake a stick at...

I'm way past not asking for help.  I used to be busy making a living, but now I'm busy making a life.

False-pride robs too many folks of possibilities.

Ask, and you shall receive...don't ask, and remain living a sedentary lifestyle.  The choice is yours.

LowPro,

I took the liberty to edit your post. I think these quotes would make an excellent positive reinforcement poster for those who let their disabilities get in their way.

Cheers to you!!! Keep up your outlook and your activities. It's people like you that set an example for others who say "I can't".....when in fact, they can!!

Dave

Offline reloading_rich

• Trade Count: (71)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 08:58:18 AM »
"At this point in my life I can't be concerned with what I can't do. There is nothing I can do to change it. I can only focus on what I can do and make the best of that. My disease will more than likely cut years off my stay here. So, my choice is to live as an angry person.....or live as calm and peacefully as I can. I am trying my best to do the latter."

Well said my friend, very well said indeed.  I didn't even know this forum existed till today.  Very good idea and I hope more people find it and post here.  I have been disabled since 2003 due to a failed laminectomy in my back.  Walked into ther hospital and ten days later I came out in a wheelchair.  The darndest thing was I could not move my left leg.  I didn't find out what happened till a year and a half later I went in for one of those tests to check nerve conductivity (EMT?) and they discovered that two of the nerves in my left leg had been cut and were not working.  Then in 2006 I started having problems with shortness of breath.  They had diagnosed me with COPD at that time.  The doctor said there was nothin g he do for me so I decided to visit a different doctor and wound up going to Henry Ford hospital in downtown Detroit.  After several visits and some testing he told me that I didn't have COPD but rather it was Pulmonary hypertension.  The effects and symptoms are very close to COPD but this is a case of high blood pressure in the Pumonary artery.  The results are the same as COPD, there is still nothing they can do for me and it has progressed in the past 2 years and now it is difficult to walk out to the garage or back up the stairs from the basement (naturally, thats where all my loading stuff and guns are kept).  Also, to further complicate things I have been a diabetic for 25 years and have an extremely advanced case of Diabetic neuropathy.  No feeling inm my feet from the knees down and it is working it's way into my hands now.  I have to laught at myself when ever I try to pick up a small object like a dime on the floor.  I am on oxygen but it doesn't really help all that much.  My outdoor activities have been severly curtailed due to this and the only hunting I do anymore is on a ranch in the Thumb of Michigan.  We used to go there when my Dad was alive as it was easier for him because the guide would drive him out to a blind and pick him up when he was ready.  He has passed and we still go there now due to my limitations.  They have a Kubota that they use to feed the animals and pick up dead anim,als for customers.  I am fortunate that they let me use the vehicle and for the most part I hunt right off it or drive myself out to a blind.  If not for this I would have had to hang up my six shooter long ago.  The hunting has been exiting and fun for me and I have shot quite a few critters there such as Buffalo, Elk, Hogs, Rams and different kinds of deer.  One year I even shot an Emu. Normally I use a can eto walk now everywhere but when I'm up on the ranch I have fashioned a walking stick out of a piece of 1 inch wood rod and made a notch on the top.  It serves double duty when I do attempt to walk and then I use it as a shooting stick for my handguns (that is about all I ever use there).  Still all in all, life is good and I dont like the alternative much.  So count your blessings and treasure what you still have, not what you have lost!

This past election has shown that the number of parasites have finally out numbered the ones that they feed from

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 03:17:35 PM »
R-Rich,

I was smiling as I read your post. I can see that your just not gonna let "it" get the best of you. "It" takes pieces here and there, but you've found ways to work around that. And I can see enjoyment in the writing of your post.

Keep hunting. Keep shooting. Hey...someone has to keep this gun industry on it's feet!!!

Dave

Offline reloading_rich

• A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2009, 04:41:20 PM »
Dave, yeah I guess I am pretty fortunate compared to some.  At least I have lots of time to go to the range and do what I love to do.  Heck, some guys have to wait for weekends or a day off in order to get some range time in. LOL.  It really is a matter of choice.  I dont want to sit around feeling sorry for myself and bury myself in self pity.  Instead I choose to make the best of what I was given and that is more than some folks have.   I do really miss hunting the way I used to when not on the ranch but I always have the fond memories that I had accumulated over the many years of good hunting.  I wish I had taken more pictures during that stage of my life but like everything I never figured it would end. We all will reach times in our lives when we have to bid farewell to some of the things that we hold near and dear in our lives.  For some it just happens a little sooner than others that's all. 
This past election has shown that the number of parasites have finally out numbered the ones that they feed from

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 11:16:57 AM »
For some it just happens a little sooner than others that's all.

10-4 to that. But, we are still out there, still aim'in, and still squeezin the trigger!! The game animals are still fallin over, and they somehow taste even better when they come off the grill!!!   ;D

Dave

Offline reloading_rich

• A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2009, 06:58:40 PM »
Dave,
How right you are.  Sorry my electric service has been gone for the past few days.  We had a pretty good storm blow through her last Thursday and it left 75,000 of us in Michigan without power.  Boy, do we ever have it made compared to our forefathers.  You dont realize how hard it must have been without electricity till we dont have it.  Sure does make you appreciate the little things.  I was without oxygen also so it made it doubley difficult to function.  We went out today to the Home Depot and found a generator that one of the employees was kind enough to go get from a neighboring store last night.  After all the hoopla of getting it and putting it together and all the bs that is associated with that we got her running and 6 hours later the power came back on.  Go figure.  At least I will have it for the next time.  I have three freezers in the basement all loaded with game in two and domestic stuff in the other.  One of the freezers crapped out and wouldn't come back on line when I hooked it up to the generator.  It was only 30 years old, I guess it had a long enough life.  Good thing it was the one with domestic food not one of the game freezers!  The first night the power went out I had to go get a motel just to be able to sleep as I use a CPAP machine to breath at night due to sleep apnea.  Second night I went over to my sons place and slept there.  This getting old is not for coward's is it?
Later,
Rich

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2009, 01:16:04 AM »
This getting old is not for coward's is it?

That's another 10-4 Rich!! Probably the only good thing about the gettin old thing is at least we are smart enough to know our limits, and smart enough to think about a situation for a few minutes so we try not to "shoot ourselves in the foot."

I guess that counts for something!!  ;)

Glad your well.

Dave

Offline LowPro

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2009, 07:37:14 AM »
This getting old is not for coward's is it?

No...it's not!

I turn 50 in a few months, and just that fact alone has got me re-evaluating my "circumstances".

I've always said, "I'll keep doing what I can, while I can"...it just needs a little revision.

I'm thinking things just need to be tweaked a bit, just so I don't over-do things, and end up having to give up hunting all together.

I've always hunted long & hard...usually hunt 3 days, then take 3 days to recuperate.  BUT...I applied for 2 different management hunts last year, and I was drawn for both!  That doesn't happen very often...

On top of all that, I have a bowhunt that a couple of my buddies & I plan every October.

Well...one of the management hunts I applied for was rescheduled...right after the bowhunt my buddies & I had already planned a year in advance.

What did I do?  Well, I wasn't sure I could handle a 6-day roadtrip for both hunts, without a break in between.  I decided to give it a try.  If it didn't work out, I would'a just had to come home early.

It actually went better than I had imagined...but MAN was I exhausted, afterwards!  I rested up for about a week, then I had to gear-up for my 2nd management hunt, which was coming up fast.  I pulled it off, filled my freezers...then collapsed.  Whew...I pulled it off, but I sure paid the price.

Which got me to thinking about my age, my expectations vs. limitations, and where I was headed from there.

THEN (y'all ain't gonna believe this...I didn't, at first), I was notified that a team that I was on had won a multi-forum hunting contest...and I was awarded a free hunt @ a Texas hunting ranch!

The catch - it's scheduled for less than 4 weeks away...  :o

OMG...I kept asking myself, "should I, or shouldn't I"?  I've never won anything like this before, and I really wanted to go, I mean... you never know when another opportunity like this will ever present itself again...if ever.

The big question was whether I was up to it, or not.  I talked to family & friends, and they thought I should go.  I still wasn't sure, since I'd be driving to Texas (I won't do airlines, anymore...to much hassle).  Not to mention that I had just pulled off what I thought I wasn't capable of doing (the 6-day roadtrip + 2 hunts), and I was still recuperating from that.

I decided to go for it...even though I still wasn't sure it was a smart decision.  Both sides of the "expectations vs. limitations" arguments in my head had valid points, so...I decided to go ahead and give it a shot.  If nothin' else, it was going to be a learning experience.

I asked my Dad to go along with me, so I'd at least have some company on the long drive...plus someone to assist me, if the occasion arised.

Talk about a whirlwind tour of Texas!  Drove 2 days to get there, started hunting within 3-4 hours of arrival, hunted 3 days, then another 2 days of driving to get home.

Now maybe y'all better understand why I'm starting to feel OLD...I sure don't bounce-back like I used to!

It was definitely a learning experience, too.  It was more like a wake-up call, like I mentioned earlier.  I'm still planning on hunting, but I'm more than likely gonna hunt smarter from now on...as in less stress, and more time between hunts.  I don't want to over-do it, and end up ending my hunting all together.

Offline LowPro

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2009, 07:49:34 AM »
LowPro, I'm not trying to follow you around the forums...

Thanks for sharing your Bio and an extra big thanks for your excellent advice and words of encouragement. A big warm welcome to GBO to you.

Thanks for the warm welcome!  ;D

I was actually a member here, years ago...I decided to visit some old forums I used to frequent, but couldn't remember my username & password here, so I re-registered.  It looked like a lot of changes had taken place, since the last time I was here!

BTW ~ you might know me from other forums...I go by the username "Chairman", also.  8)

I'm thinkin' I know you too, but under a different username, eh?!

Offline Skunk

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2009, 08:33:40 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  ;D

I was actually a member here, years ago...I decided to visit some old forums I used to frequent, but couldn't remember my username & password here, so I re-registered.  It looked like a lot of changes had taken place, since the last time I was here!

BTW ~ you might know me from other forums...I go by the username "Chairman", also.  8)

I'm thinkin' I know you too, but under a different username, eh?!

Happy you made it back to good ol GBOs, LowPro.

Not sure if we met up on another forum. I go with my handle or some variation of it when "Skunk" has already been taken. The other forums that I frequent, but don't post much, are 24 Hour Campfire, Savage Shooter's, Sniper Central, Sniper's Hide, LR Hunting, Shooter's, Accurate Reloading, Keith Warren, Benchrest Central...the list goes on, but those are the ones that readily come to mind. This is my favorite forum though, and the place I call home.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the "Chairman" (I like that handle, makes you sound like a bank executive or something ;D) on the other forums. ;)
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline LowPro

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2009, 07:43:37 AM »

I'll be keeping an eye out for the "Chairman"

My "home" on the WWW is MissouriWhitetails.com.  I'm a forum administrator there, so that's primarily where you'll find me.

I like visiting other boards occasionally, as an escape from responsibility.  Sometimes, it's nice just being a member...

Offline bill439

• Avid Poster
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 11:35:27 AM »
Hi, everyone, I lost my left leg in a motorcycle accident (1965) was 18 at the time.   I have been blessed with being able to do most things when I was young.  I am 63 now and feel old and fat (because I am old and fat) the best thing that I ever did was buy a Honda 400 forman 4 wheeler.  This allows me to go to places I would never go if I had to walk.  I always bring a cell phone and a box of matches, the cell will get me some help if I am back in the woods and the 4 wheeler don't go, the matches will be used to build a fire and eat whatever critter that is too big for the 4 wheeler to haul out.  I have made a rack that fits on the wheeler that allows me to drape camo all around and use the thing as a rolling blind-  have killed several deer this way in total comfort.  Wishing all of you the best, bill439

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2009, 02:58:37 PM »
....." I am 63 now and feel old and fat (because I am old and fat)"......

Ha Ha Ha Ha......Thanks for the post Bill!! I enjoyed it and got a good laugh!

Dave

Offline Dusty Wheeler

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2009, 04:19:44 PM »
Howdy!
I last posted on this thread in May 2008...reply #20 to this thread.  I'm still chasing elk in the Idaho desert.  Found a huntin' pard that puts up with my limitations.  I outshot him at Quigley this year!  He says its cuz I had a better spotter than he did...my 61 year old eyes did better than his 70 year old eyes, especially the 800 yd buff in fading light!  Last weekend I laughed when he shot over the backs of 2 pronghorns!  There is nothing like the comeraderie a hunt can bring, whether you get meat or not!  He has also found a couple fishing holes where I can get a wheelchair close enough and doesn't mind untangling a newby's attempt at fly casting.  I'm a lucky guy to find such a friend!
Tim

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2009, 12:30:37 AM »
Tim,

Keep shootin....keep fishin.....tell your buddy hello!!

Dave

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2009, 03:32:50 AM »
   I know longer hunt deer. Due to rods and pins in my left leg and a right hip replacement. The last deer i shot didn't know it was dead. Ran 15yds. and jumped a ditch then another 20yds. into a plowed field where it died. A lot of work and i got across the ditch but i couldn't walk in the plowed field because of the ruts. My neighbor was hunting the woods next to mine and he came over and got it over to my side of the ditch for me. That was the end of my hunting. I can thank all my leg problems to a young lady that hit me head on while i was on my way home from the dealer with my new truck. 23 miles on it and it was totaled. :(
           bobg

Offline The Poet

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2009, 05:07:02 AM »
                        Y'all,

Dern,
some of Y'all are worse off than I am,
and that's pretty bad!
I am an old {58 in 2 weeks} coon hunter-trapper
who barely survived being murdered three times in the last 9 years.
'And I'm getting tired of it.'

A disabled coma patient,
Almost three years ago,
I was going to the store for half a gallon of milk, fresh jalepenos and tortillas.
I had $7. dollars in my pocket, that's all I had.
I was pulled over for weaving {my eye was scratched}
"Deliberately falsely arrested, imprisoned,
deliberately assaulted and battered in jail by the jailers,
resulting in severe, permanant and inoperable spinal damage
to an already disabled coma patient,
with no criminal record."

But boy's,
 I am a hunter.
I spent 10 months writing a letter to the two city's, the Major,
 city manager and members of the city council.
The District Attorney for Dallas county Craig Watkins
and the Texas Rangers who investigate corrupt municipal police departments
on orders of the D.A.
The Attorney General in Austin Greg Abbott.
The F.B.I. at the Houston office, who investigates false arrests,
and assaults on disabled coma patients by corrupt municipal police departments.
10 months writing the letter and learning who to send it to,
and 2 more months getting the letter copied and mailed.

And the Sxxt hit the fan big time!

The chief of police quit the next day and took his retirement money and ran like a whipped dog.
The Sheriff's dept. and the Rangers told me the cops who did this, 6 of them,
 will get 99.5 years each for 'conspiracy'.
And that they have "no defense."
"Their dead".
When a Ranger said to a deputy:
"They will give him a lot more than that".
{Meaning the value of my farm}
"He asked who figured this all out?"
The deputy said:
"Jack did."

"He walked into the Lancaster Texas police department and asked:
 "To speak to your highest ranking officer on duty right now!"
You could have heard Jack screaming at Lt. Boone all over the building.
And they were back behind two locked doors, and Lt. Boone was armed.

"You fat fxxx!"
 "Look at me when I am talking to you!"
"Perhaps that is what they wanted!"
{me to go for my glove box so they could shoot me in the back 18 times!}
"There it is..."
"There it is... "
"There is that terror in your eyes!"
"I got you fat boy!"
"I learned what I came here to learn,"
" found out what I came here to find out."

"He married your sister!"
{Desperate look}
"And when he gets fired he's moving in with you!"
{even more desperate look}
Oh, he's moving 'back' in with you."
"Sorry man, it's not my problem."

I stood up and faced the door
with my back to 'the fat Lt.' saying:
"I'm going to go eat some Mexican food."
the Lt. said:
"That doors locked."
And I replied:
"Well, then shoot me in the back!"
"Have me thrown in jail and beat up again."
"Or, get up and unlock the dxxx door."
"And hurry up, 'its time for my coffee break'."

Nobody knew that they were brothers in law.
{The short, fat, Lt. got his short, fat 'brother in law' a job}
{And thought, that he had gotten rid of his short, fat, ugly sister}

Or that they did...
 all three live all together.
I saw it in his dxxx eye's!
The short, fat coward!

The Ranger said:
"Knowing I was going to prison for the rest of my life,
I would have shot Jack."
And the reply from the deputy:
"Boone's a coward and Jack's not."

They messed with the wrong man.

And it does make me 'feel real good'.

Thank you...

J. Winters von Knife
                               and Sandymay
                           'my sweet coon hound'
                   http://jacksknifeshop.tripod.com/

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
Re: Quess you were right GB, NOPE, some of us still read
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2012, 10:51:08 PM »
BUMPPITY, BUMP, BUMP.

Thought that I would bump up an old thread. First, thank you GB for NOT pulling this thread.

I am retired and had to at 63. took a hell of a hit on my S.S., but could no longer do my job and continue to back my brother officers. I was disabled in Vietnam and just didn't know it at the time.
Blown up in 7 tank mines in tanks and personnel carriers. Shot down 6 times in Helios's plus a roll over on lift off due to engine failure. there was more issues on other areas--like having to call arty on my own position for 3 1/2-- 4 hours. ( I was stuttering for 2wks after) and so on. BUT--I survived 4 tours in the University of South East Asia!!!! thank you Lord.
Came home and was a city cop in Columbus IN for 1-1/2 yrs. some soldiers make good cops, some don't. I wasn't the best, so got out of it and went to the Steel Mills (Bethlehem Steel in northern IN.) worked there for 15 yrs as an "A" rate precision Millwright and then went to working the Locals for another 10 yrs. and finally got tired of all the Sluggos backing up for their paycheck with out putting in the effort.  Went to working as an Uniformed Armed security Officer. took professional training before and during 19 1/2 years. FINALLY , I had to own up and admit that I could no longer do the work. Looks sort of STUPID walking your beat and having to use a cane! My boss understood and let me work the radios dispatching while waiting for my S.S. to come through. Gotta give him credit even though he could be a hard A$$.

Had a severely damaged lower back, 3 SS screws in my ankles, Severe arthritis and Bursitis in the shoulders, elbows and hips. Not to mention pepper shrapnel in my legs and arms. OH, did I mention that when I came home that I had a heavy drinking problem because of the pain? Sure did and It cost me 2 marriages, 4 vehicles, 3 homes and damn near my mill job.  13 yrs. of 3qts of Vodka and a fifth of tequila a DAY. Took a while, but I finally beat that little problem with Gods help and the help of a program and good people. Been Sober for 31 1/2 yrs. now.

OK, that's enough of a Bio (there's a heck of a lot more--another day) but I have finally decided to get back into hunting. for years while Security I did a lot of shooting (and darn good at it, too) but never had time to hunt. did a lot of it while in the Mill. So I do remember what I'm supposed to do, I think. Some days it's CRST-GO. But I have  a single shot Handi rifle in 30-30 and 357mag that are synthetic stocked (light weight) and VERY accurate. 30-30 for varmint hunting and out of state rifle hunting and the 357 Maggie for IN deer hunting. Might make it a Maxie, don't know? yet. instead of a cane, I'm looking into a walking stick that can sub as a mono pod also. I have been using a bike (peddle type) to lose weight and try to build up the wind and legs. plus I have the V.A. rubber bands to try to build muscle mass. it is the exercise that I need to keep my diabetes under diet control. Doc also suggested roller skating at a rink :o . Gonna give it a try ::) . I hear that the rinks all can use a 5' 11" floor mop ;D . there are days when I do get down and out--on those days I just eat well and sleep and sometimes cry but the cat always is there with me for company. Most times I am OK with just pain and I can control that mostly with meditation and Bio feed back. anyway, to all that are disabled (as I am legally) DON'T give up. sure, we all have bad days--find a corner and bawl and wipe your eyes and keep on keeping forward.  May God Bless you all and all of yours.

Goofy 

ETA: poet--NICE read. loved it. hope your still reading these pages!!!

Offline reloading_rich

• A Real Regular
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2012, 04:23:36 AM »
instead of a cane, I'm looking into a walking stick that can sub as a mono pod also
Goofy,
It is pretty easy to make a walking stick youself.  Most of the ones that I looked at commercially made were not adaquate to support 250# if you had to lean on it for support. You need a 6 foot length of dowel rod that is 1 inch in diameter.  Most hardware stores only carry 4 foot lengths and that is not long enough for what you need.  Check with your local lumber yards for availability.  Once you have procured your "stick" visit a medical suply store and get a replacement cane tip of the same diameter of your "stick".  Slip the rubber tip on your new "stick".  You can now hold your stick in front of you and hold either a handun or rifle level and mark it where the optimum length needs to be based on your height.  Now you can fashion a top for your stick that has a 1 inch hole drilled in the bottom for the stick to slide into and fashion the rest in the shape of a "V".  You can fashion the top of your stick using just basic woodworking tools or if you prefer you can even whittle it to fit your needs.  Then glue the rubber cane tip on and glue the rest top tip in place.  I cut a piece of leather to fit the "V" and  protect the gun.  I also cut a piece of leather and glued it around the top just under the rest to give me a non slip grip.  Finish the wood however you prefer with either paint or stain & varnish and you are good to go.

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2012, 10:14:08 AM »
 You can now hold your stick in front of you and hold either a handun or rifle level and mark it where the optimum length needs to be based on your height.  Now you can fashion a top for your stick that has a 1 inch hole drilled in the bottom for the stick to slide into and fashion the rest in the shape of a "V".  You can fashion the top of your stick using just basic woodworking tools or if you prefer you can even whittle it to fit your needs.  Then glue the rubber cane tip on and glue the rest top tip in place.  I cut a piece of leather to fit the "V" and  protect the gun.  I also cut a piece of leather and glued it around the top just under the rest to give me a non slip grip.  Finish the wood however you prefer with either paint or stain & varnish and you are good to go.

Reloading_rich :  All very good advice. thank you. been a few days since I was here, BUT, we had a storm and a neighbor of one of my friends had to trim out a tree that had been damaged. I was able to get TWO pieces of great wood for a walking staff ( just in case I screw one up. if not, then I'll have two ;D ) Plus one piece that had a perfect bent handle contour for a cane! I'll start on one walking stick and then work out the cane. plus, I'll have a backup walking stick. one of them is 7 1/2 feet long and has a perfect y at the end of it. all it needs is trimmed to length, padded, peeled and finished. I'll trim it to the right heigth for a rifle and walking.      God Bless to all and yours.

Goofyoldfart

ETA:  By the way, nice looking picture of " makin' bacon"------Goofy

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2012, 07:12:39 PM »
GOF,

Hang in there man!  I have been legallly disabled for almost 3  years now, pulmonary emboli, and am on oxygen 24/7.  I still hunt and  have killed a couple of deer and a few squirrels while hooked to my green bottle.  It is very worth all the effort to get out in the woods even if you can't go all that far.  You also find out who your GOOD friends are because it seems like they always find the time to go with you.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »
Bikerbeans, you sure have the situation described perfectly.I also am on oxygen 24/7 and have not hunted or fished in that length of time. It seems I am a "burden" to the ones who use to be so called "friends". All thats left for entertainment is playing bingo with the mrs..A real excitement. Yeah!!! :(