Author Topic: Any one have a Knight KP-1 yet?  (Read 8319 times)

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Any one have a Knight KP-1 yet?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2008, 09:43:46 AM »
It wasn't on there a month ago or at least I couldn't find it.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline DEACONLLB

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 05:48:36 AM »
The new 2008 gun digest has a short description of the Knight KP1 but I have not found a dealer or seen any at the local gun shows. I really like the looks of the one with the wood laminated stock. If you have not done so go to the Knight web site and watch the video on the weather shield ad I think you will get a bang out of it don't wont to give away the punch line take a look.

Deaconllb
Korean war vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing K14 Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defense Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the  CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 06:22:34 AM »
RR  has a bunch of the syn and camo KP1s in stock, but zero on the lam, no barrels on the several I checked.

Tim

http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?search=KP1&page=1
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Underclocked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2008, 09:12:18 AM »
R&R has a rather unusual check out process (at least to me).  Most sites give you opportunity to do a final review of your order before actually placing the order.  Once you put your CC info in at R&R and then click next - you have just placed your order.   Surprised me a little yesterday when I ordered a KRB7 in ss/black.  I have to have both the rifles in that big pic up there.   ;D   

WHUT?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2008, 09:20:27 AM »
The only issues I've had with RR is they're slow to ship, I ordered a 243 Ultra from them last summer that was in stock, they sat on it for a week before shipping it, already had my FFL info on file before I placed the order.

Tim

btw, soliciting by anyone but paid advertisers is prohibited in any discussion forum.  ;)

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »
I can't help myself, Tim.   ;D   I've listed the Huntsman in the H&R classifieds.   Thanks for that link in the other discussion thread.  Delete my irreverent, inappropriate remark above if you wish.   

R&R has already shipped, given me a tracking number, and the package is in St. Louis.  250 miles to go.

WHUT?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 04:08:15 PM »
That's good news, I was hoping they had changed there practice, but their note on every firearm makes ya wonder.  :-\ Ships in 2-5 Days due to Processing 

I did delete it, that's why I offered an explanation. I also locked the Huntsman thread due to the direction it was headed, they often do that and end up deleted completely.

Tim

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 05:36:37 AM »
Thanks for taking care of me there, Tim.  ;D    Do you know what a DWB is?  We pride ourselves in discussing most anything, anywhere, anytime - and we iz nUtZ!.   :D  But I'll try to behave. 

Seriously, that rifle is one that I'm not quite sure I want to part with and it won't hurt my feelings if it doesn't go. 

And that KRB is on the delivery truck today!  :o

And now it is here.  :)

I'll keep this all in the same posting since the thread was about the KP1

Here is what you can do to the KRB7 in about 5 minutes or less using only the included breech plug tool.  Knight calls it a combo tool (ah cawl it a sling blade :D ) because it has a little straight screwdriver blade on one end to remove the forearm screw.  :)  You release the hammer/trigger assembly, remove the breech plug with its tool, remove the forearm screw and forearm, then loosen the single bolt (shown in pic partially loosened at top), then remove the barrel from the action housing. 

The other item in the picture is another poor pic of the bore.

And here is a close shot of the trigger/hammer assembly.

Unless I'm missing something, this thing is going to be incredibly easy to clean.
WHUT?

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 06:42:53 AM »
Sorry Tim I have been away for a day. I haven't ever dealt with RR arms and probably won't. I don't think we will see the lam stocks until this summer. That is when most of the KP1 stuff is due out.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2008, 03:24:36 AM »
was at my favorite gunshop buying a Vanguard to replace the one i stupidly sold years ago. the knight rep was there and let me play with the KP-1. WOW. that thing is going to eat the encore's lunch. especially when a Prohunter costs $700, and the knight in stainless and camo with 2 barrels costs the same. and besides, it's an incredibly good buy for that amount. the trigger is light and crisp and the gun handles very well.

I was very impressed. Knight has a winner.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2008, 10:13:54 AM »
I just put on on lay-a-way.  A stainless, synthetic one in 45-70.  Hope to soon get a .308 barrel for it, others potentially to follow.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2008, 02:02:20 PM »
Sounds good.

Rick

Offline xhare

• A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2008, 12:11:20 PM »
I was intrigued when I saw these online, but did not expect to see one yet.  So I find one at Whittaker Guns near Owensboro, Ky and get to handle it.  I absolutely loved it.  For me it feels better than the CVA Optima Elites, TC Encores, and the Handi Rifles as far as it handle and feel go.  While it has fiber optic sights, these seem nicer than most because they are finer (thinner) than most I have seen, meaning that the front sight should cover less of your target. Personally I would rather have a good set of black irons.  The barrel breaks open more effortlessly than any break action longarm I have ever handled, shotgun or rifle.  I am less certain about the safety, I will be able to make a decision about after I shoot it some.  So far I have not real problem with it, I just question the need (lawyers I presume).  The trigger group release is located within the trigger guard.  I wonder if my finger will smack it during recoil from heavy 45-70 loads.  Also, the trigger group is very easy to remove, but I had a heck of a time getting it back in, the fella behind the counter had to help me. 

So far, overall I like it better than any other single shot I have handled.  I hope it lives up to my expectations. 

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2008, 01:11:09 PM »
There is a secret "move" to getting the trigger group back in - I can't describe it but it does get easier.   ;D 
WHUT?

Offline Tunaman

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »
I just picked one up in 45/70. She has a Very low serial number, which I find pretty cool. I haven't shot her but I think that I will leave her with just the iron sites for a while.

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2008, 05:51:03 PM »
more reading  http://randywakeman.com/KnightKP1review.htm  - hope it is ok to provide that url.

That was written after he and I had a couple of lengthy phone conversations.  Most conversations with Wakeman are lengthy.   ::) 
WHUT?

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2008, 05:16:27 AM »
 ;D

So we shoud be looking for a KP2 soon?  ;)
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2008, 02:40:38 AM »
The Knight KP1 has along way to go.  I call it the half copycat.  Wheres the pistol barrels and pistol grips?

yooper77

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2008, 11:47:03 AM »
RR just got 14 of the laminate/SS in stock.

Tim

http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GP1M20950SB

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 04:07:06 PM »
Thanks Tim. I held a nice 300win mag KP1 that I can see in my future.

Rick

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 10:50:54 AM »
Shot some Blackhorn 209 this morning, 17 shots total.

I had run some alcohol through the bore and breech plug of my KP1, then blew it all out with air - or so I thought. Put in a partial charge of powder followed by one of the thick wads that I use, then seated it down tightly. Snapped a Winchester 209 primer on that squib load but the only pop was from the primer. I tried about 5 more of the W209s trying to get the charge to ignite with no success. Finally went into the shop and used compressed air to blow all that first charge out of the bore. Put another charge in the bore and got it to fire on the second primer. I had read that a fouling charge is needed with this powder but I think someone forgot to mention that charge needed to be a full load.

I was using a cylindrical flask with a 100 grain spout installed. A spoutful of powder was topped with a 200 grain Hornady XTP (10mm) in a blue MMP .50/.40 sabot. The rifle had only been boresighted since changing from a Sightron to a Leupold 3x9 scope, but I felt it would be close enough to start my shooting at 100 yards. It took a few shots to get the point of impact about where I wanted - roughly 2" above POA. Once there, I shot a group of five of the XTPs which opened dramatically with a "called" high shot. The remaining 4 shots in that "group" went into roughly 1.75". I then shot four of the more expensive TC ShockWaves of the same weight and in the same sabot type. Those four went into roughly 2". I was satisfied at that point with the point of impact for both bullets, the Shockwaves hit a bit lower than the XTPs but still close to that 2" high on average.

Being a person that likes to shoot cast conicals of pure lead, I decided to give a 440 grain .503 conical a try. In spite of reading reports to the contrary, I decided there was no good reason why a conical couldn't be fired with the Blackhorn. I switched to a 70 grain spout and load for the conical. I took careful aim at one of my upper targets, knowing the big conical would strike considerably lower than the featherweights I had been shooting. When the W209 ignited, there was a double stutter as the rifle hang-fired badly. Not only was there a terrible hang-fire, blowback into the KP1's action area (which had been nearly nil up to that point) was terrible. The plug now had a thin coating of carbon deposit on all exterior surfaces and a thicker deposit inside the primer pocket. The deposits were spread to the interior of the barrel around the plug and the face of the KP1 action, and in particular a heavy circular deposit around the firing pin area - just bigger than a 209 in diameter.

I decided to quit at that point as I had found out what I needed to know and by that time the humidity level was getting to me.

I was not satisfied with the groups I shot but I'm convinced a little tweaking of charge level will get me there with the sabot'd rounds. Conicals and the KP1 seem totally not made for each other. The newer hammer/trigger assembly now in the rifle has a trigger pull set considerably higher than I would prefer - something may need to be done about that.

I never swabbed the bore at any time during the session. Loading was consistently firm with the sabots from start to finish. Of course the conical loaded easily - too easily I guess.

There was very little smoke but I do get a whiff of odor from that smoke - not a bad odor, just an odor. The odor might compare to a faint hint of acetone. The conical round made cleanup take a bit longer than would have been the case had I not fired it, but it still cleaned up easily. I had only put tape on the breech plug and, as others have noted, the breech plug came out as easily as it went in. Pure alcohol is great to clean up the deposits left behind both inside the plug and elsewhere. The plug did have a pretty good amount of carbon buildup inside, especially after that conical shot.

All in all, I would say the cleanup was easier than it would have been with any other powder I have used.

My shooting was not at all impressive but by the end of those 17 shots, I was sweating like mad. It wasn't that hot out, but the humidity was torture. I think the KP1 is most definitely a sabot rifle and with a little tuning would be quite accurate with the BH209.

I will probably continue to use BH209 in that rifle and in my G2 Contender (which will be my next up to bat with the BH). Both those break-opens can be a chore to clean and the advantages of BH209 will be more appropriate for those two. My conical shooters will continue to get Swiss, T7, or Pyro.
WHUT?