Author Topic: Any one have a Knight KP-1 yet?  (Read 8324 times)

Offline Charlie Tango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Any one have a Knight KP-1 yet?
« on: December 15, 2007, 06:44:31 AM »
I am thinking about getting a 50 cal muzzle loader this year and I see that Knight has a new gun that you can get a rifle barrel and a muzzle loader barrel with.  I am looking for a rifle that is a good caliber for coyotes and will also be acceptable to use deer hunting, and a 50 cal muzzle loader also.  These look like good guns,  any opinions?

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
Re: Any one have a Knight KP-1 yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 12:56:44 PM »
I think that they look like the real deal in switch barrel rifles.  Go to the Knight forum, there are a couple of threads there discussing the gun.

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 08:29:29 AM »
Just read about this gun in the December issue of Shooting Times (cover story).  Sounds like a great gun...able to go from muzzle loader to center fire to rim fire..all relatively easily.  Lots of barrel options available too.  So, anyone own one yet?
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline Underclocked

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:09:38 PM »
I do. http://www.sunrisearchery.com/KNIGHT_KP1.htm   page 2 linked at bottom

WHUT?

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 08:17:30 PM »
I know one guy that has one. Check out his report, and don't forget Page 2.

http://www.sunrisearchery.com/KNIGHT_KP1.htm

Graybeards also has a NEW Knight Forum for the Knight Rifles and Muzzleloaders.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,216.0.html
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 02:30:23 PM »
Yes check out the new forum. Ill be moving this post over there if anybody wonders.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline sledge

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 07:13:27 PM »
Yes I just bought one. R&R ARMS IN BEMIDJI MINN  http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?search=knight+kp1&submit.x=11&submit.y=7  has 72 of the Stainless Steel with Composite Stock for $457.41 and 49 of the Stainless Steel with Camo Stock for $498.47  They have been bead blasted to a matt finish. I didn't like mine that way so I buffed it to a real mirror finish since I'm not going to be hunting with it in the woods. I bought it for the centerfire barrels.
***** Old Age is a high price to pay for maturity*****

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 10:31:34 AM »
RR is a good place to buy from.. Have you shot it yet?

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »
Can you post a range result and pictures?
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline sledge

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 06:42:47 AM »
I haven't shot it yet. Right now all I have is the Muzzle Loader Barrel.   I'm after the 17HMR,243 Win and the 270 Win Barrels. I like the break open Rifles and I'm hoping this one will shoot as good as my Encore barrels do.

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 08:46:37 AM »
I do believe it will perform at least as well as the Encore in muzzleloader form.  Mine surely will after a bit of load development.  That first shooting session (see my review on page 2)  was pretty much just a torture test. 

Did yours come with both the "regular" 209 nipple and the FPG nipple with extractor?

keep clicking
WHUT?

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 08:53:41 AM »
They come with both FPJ and the 209 breachplug.

Rick

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 11:51:10 AM »
Mine also had two hammer extensions included so I thought they might have got carried away filling that box - not that I minded.   :)
WHUT?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 12:47:19 PM »
No clicking necessary.  ;D

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 03:12:19 PM »
Might fine looking guns, yes, might fine.......

Offline sledge

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 04:15:45 PM »
I didn't like the matt finish on mine to well so I run it through the buffer. Looks better now.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 07:11:31 AM »
I like the matte finish but that is because I would hunt with it.

Rick

Offline sledge

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 11:09:41 AM »
I like the matte finish but that is because I would hunt with it.

I agree with you 30-06 on the matt finish but I won't be hunting with mine. I bought it primarily for the switch barrels. I like the switch barrel rifles and a few years ago I had the Thompson Center TCR but you can't buy barrels for them anymore and when you do find one they want an arm and leg for it. Plus without the custom barrel site you are pretty limited on the calibers available.  I'm just hoping this thing shoots good.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 03:46:29 PM »
Your right about the TCR. That's why I don't own one. I do like the Knight and hope some barrel manufacturer's will start making custom barrels. But with Green Mtn. Barrels I am sure they are good. I would try the ML out and see what it can do and if its not what your looking for then you could sale it.

Rick

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 09:55:03 AM »

Had to get creative with mine.  Shim in Leupold QRW ring didn't work out as I had hoped.  I took two front extension bases for White rifles and mounted one ahead of the other - very tiny amount of clearance between the two.  Had to use medium rings this time and the only QDs I have in that height are gloss finish (oh well).  Used those to mount a Sightron SII 3x9x42 (supposed to have greater adjustment range than the Leupold).  Hope this works out.

There is more clearance between the hammer and scope than this pic would lead you to believe.
WHUT?

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 06:14:12 AM »
http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/st_kp1_200712/  Everything is just peachy keen. ::)  He fails to mention that he is shooting a prototype as the rifle pictured has significant differences from my production model.   Notice he shows the rifle with the standard 209 plug in place?  My guess is that he concluded quickly the full plastic jacket with its extractor is a pia that doesn't function reliably (at least in my rifle).   This rifle would be an ideal candidate for a .25acp breech plug.
WHUT?

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 04:13:12 PM »
With the astounding amount of interest being shown so far, I thought to spice things up with my KP1 209 D-cup.   ;D

WHUT?

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 04:51:18 AM »
Looks good. As far as rings I expect to hear of more Company's producing them for this year. I would look at getting some that fitted the gun as soon as they are out.

Rick

Offline sledge

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 06:22:52 PM »
Dednutz.com has a 1 piece base but it looks awfully short. Don't think I would like that to well. Very limited on horizontal scope adjustment.
  Pretty Pricey to at $57.00
  http://www.dednutz.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=49

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »
That's one reason I don't really like their mounts. I guess it would work if you don't need any adjustment to your scope.

Rick

Offline sledge

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 06:35:16 PM »

Had to get creative with mine.  Shim in Leupold QRW ring didn't work out as I had hoped.  I took two front extension bases for White rifles and mounted one ahead of the other - very tiny amount of clearance between the two.  Had to use medium rings this time and the only QDs I have in that height are gloss finish (oh well).  Used those to mount a Sightron SII 3x9x42 (supposed to have greater adjustment range than the Leupold).  Hope this works out.

There is more clearance between the hammer and scope than this pic would lead you to believe.

Underclocked, Do you have the part #'s for those White bases?  I like the looks of that setup.    Thanks  Bill

Offline sledge

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2008, 01:15:46 PM »
Good News from Knight Rifles. Just found this on their website
http://www.knightrifles.com/PressRoom/Releases/KP1_Transforms_the_Legend.htm

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 02:39:53 PM »
Front Gloss - M846G... Matte - M846M... Silver - M846S

Those should be the Warne part numbers - you will probably have to contact them directly to locate any.   Getting pretty scarce. 

A pair of the Weaver S40 bases would work also but you would need to drill a hole in each to accomodate the 1/2" spacing of the screw holes.    Might even look better.  http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=876221&t=11082005

Given the rarity of good bases for Whites, I've learned to get creative with bases.   ;D
WHUT?

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2008, 03:51:13 PM »
Good News from Knight Rifles. Just found this on their website
http://www.knightrifles.com/PressRoom/Releases/KP1_Transforms_the_Legend.htm

Thanks for the link. I have been expecting this news soon. Did anyone vist the Knight Booth at the Shot show? Anything new?

Rick

Offline Underclocked

• A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 08:51:09 AM »
Sorry guys, that press release has been there for AWHILE.   :)
WHUT?