Author Topic: Kansas Rifle Deer  (Read 658 times)

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • The Daily Limit
Kansas Rifle Deer
« on: December 16, 2007, 08:47:52 AM »
Kansas rifle recap:
After hunting the Missouri rifle season hard and seeing dozens of smaller deer but no real shooters, I was wavering on lower standards for my Kansas rifle tag.  Opening day found me in Eastern Kansas on 400 acres that borders some giant public areas.  It's a mix of big woods, rough grassland, and big food plots. 

Not long after sunrise a tall narrow 8pt walked out and hung out in front of me at about 60 yards.  He wasn't what I was looking for, and certainly not the reason Kansas has the reputation it does, but fun to watch and photo.

After snapping a few pics I notice another deer coming from the direction of the public ground and headed towards the 8 point.  When he got within 200 yards I realized he was a shooter.  Got my rifle up slowly and had him the scope at 150 yards.  He made a line straight for the deer right in front of me, and didn't stop until he'd run him off, 60 yards in front of me.  When he stopped he was quartering towards me, and I aimed at the front shoulder.  The bullet did not take out the shoulder but it did go through both lungs and the heart.  He went 60 yards or so.

He had 15 score-able points and crazy mass.  The left brow tine was bladed and the right one was 10 inches long.  Both sides have unusual points. 

I used a custom mauser in .270 with 140 grain accubonds.  I'm not a bullet junky, but it appeared to do just fine. 

Offline roscoe

Re: Kansas Rifle Deer
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 02:21:51 PM »
Beautiful Whitetail there Bud! 8)

Offline NYH1

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 06:47:36 PM »
dukkillr, that's an AWESOME deer!   :)
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:15:21 PM »
Very nice deer, and a good looking rifle.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline usmc2111

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 08:14:27 AM »
That is certainly a wall hanger. Very nice buck.