Author Topic: what scope  (Read 554 times)

Offline S_J_KENNELS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • I hunt hogs with dogs. Any questions?
what scope
« on: December 16, 2007, 05:11:12 PM »
would folks recommend the following situation;

low light to night hunting
going on a .308
max cost $175

Also what happened to all the old Bushnell 3x9 wide view scopes that were good for this, took a beating, and still did not cost an arm and leg?
Shane

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: what scope
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 03:23:13 AM »
You don't say what you plan on hunting with this rifle.  And for $175 I don't think you are going to find a scope that will let you see much in the dark.  The best scope for the money you want to spend, at least IMO, is the 4X40 Nikon Buckmaster.   Nikon brags, IIRC, 92% light transmission to the shooters eye which is about as good as it gets without putting a second mortgage on the farm so to speak.  Good luck

Offline S_J_KENNELS

• Avid Poster
  • I hunt hogs with dogs. Any questions?
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 09:46:46 AM »
Luckyducker,

I would be using it for deer, but it is my main spotlighting rifle for hogs. As during deer season that is the only way I can hunt them. I have a BUSHNELL 3-9x 40 wideview/sportsview scope on the rifle now that has held up for years with no problems till now. I want to send the scope off to get it fixed, but want a replacement for it first so if I need the rifle I will have it.
Shane

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 12:58:34 PM »
Nikon Prostaff 3 X 9 X 40
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 01:31:49 PM »
Luckyducker,

I would be using it for deer, but it is my main spotlighting rifle for hogs. As during deer season that is the only way I can hunt them. I have a BUSHNELL 3-9x 40 wideview/sportsview scope on the rifle now that has held up for years with no problems till now. I want to send the scope off to get it fixed, but want a replacement for it first so if I need the rifle I will have it.

SJ,
     You might want to take a hard look at a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 2X7 with the firefly recticle. That glass is several steps above the sportsview you have in quality, the recticle lights up with a flashlight for dusk/darkness hours and it has rainguard and a lifetime warranty. Very bright crystal clear scope. It normally sells for $199 to $219, Natchez has it on sale now for $119, pretty hard to beat, here's a link:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=BH322736M&src=BE230
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.