Author Topic: Just more evidence of how looney the UK has become..Sword Control  (Read 502 times)

Offline Scout

• Trade Count: (0)
Thu Dec 13, 10:30 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - The government said Wednesday it would ban the sale of samurai swords because the weapons had been used in a number of serious, high-profile attacks.

The Home Office said the swords would be added to the Offensive Weapons Order from April next year, meaning they could not be imported, sold or hired.

However collectors of genuine Japanese swords and those used by martial arts enthusiasts would be exempt from the ban.

"In the wrong hands, samurai swords are dangerous weapons," Home Office Minister Vernon Coaker said.

"We recognize it is the cheap, easily available samurai swords which are being used in crime and not the genuine more expensive samurai swords which are of interest to collectors and martial arts enthusiasts."

The Association of Chief Police Officers said the swords were not a common weapon but they had been used in a number of significant incidents.

In 2000, Robert Ashman murdered a Liberal Democrat councilor at the offices of Cheltenham MP Nigel Jones, who was also seriously hurt in the attack.

A year earlier, Eden Strang seriously wounded 11 people when he went on the rampage with a samurai sword at a Roman Catholic Church near his home in Thornton Heath, south London.

(Reporting by Michael Holden; Editing by Tim Castle)

Offline phalanx

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Just more evidence of how looney the UK has become..Sword Control
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:21:19 PM »
All into this sport know ,The Katana ,up close is as deadly as a 357 mag. In fact if it were used on me i would prefer the 357.
Followed only by the Roman Gloryeta.
A Nation willing to give up its rights ,Will soon see even a kitchen knife become illegal.
In this time i Command ,That you take the Secular to Jerusalem .
There you rid the Holy City of the Scourge of Islam , Make the streets run red with the Blood of those who wish to wash Israel and Christianity from the face of the Earth.
Constantine III