Author Topic: i got into a argument  (Read 2924 times)

Offline highwayman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
i got into a argument
« on: December 17, 2007, 04:06:21 AM »
i pay lease fees, scout for deer, build a road, put up a stand,buy a permit, sight in my rifles, take up my time to hunt,shoot a deer, drag the deer,skin,process the meat,and what happens then,everyone wants meat. one guy wanted to get rude about it. i even gave him the change to go on the same stand that afternoon i shot the deer. he told me'' i donot hunt''. well that opened a big can of worm. does everyone want something for nothing. i dont mind sharing but meet me half way >:(

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: i got into a argument
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:25:20 AM »
I might share with family members after my freezer is full, and then I only hunt for trophies after my freezer is full.  I think it is rude to ask for meat if the guy doesn't hunt or is unwilling to hunt himself.  I also grind most of mine into hamburger, so I use it all year.  If someone gave me a deer, I would clean it myself, not ask them to do it. 

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 05:18:32 AM »
When folks ask me to "bring them some fish", I tell them I will bring them exactly like God made them so they can have the total package enjoyment of filleting or gutting and scaling, etc.  I tell them I only clean fish for myself and my mama.  Same deal with game.  Local couple ask me to bring them some deer meat, when I brought them a deer, they said "but its not skinned, not cut up" and I told them, "if it was, it'd be in my freezer". 
If your neighbor had bought half a beef and put it in his freezer or a hog, you wouldn't be begging him for some of it. Tell the obnoxious bas****d, "go to the store and buy some prime steaks and I'll swap you pound for pound since you don't hunt". 
Special friends we invite over for a game supper that my wife and I cook. That tells them they are supper special and to tell the truth most folks, especially wives of non-hunters, don't know crap about preparing game.

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 05:44:02 AM »
Ya could always pickup a roadkill & dump it on his porch ;D

His behavior is rude and obnoxious...Are you sure that you didn't previously make a verbal to him about this? Sometimes we do this and forget but in the end it really sounds like
A very obnoxious person...one that you would normally not hang around with.

Offline usmc2111

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 08:10:15 AM »
I am a hunter and fisherman and everybody at work knows this. Every Monday they ask me if I caught something or if I killed something. If I say yes they always ask where's theirs? And the answer is always the same. You want it go and get it. I don't mind sharing on occasion. But when they are just as heathy as I then they can get their own. When I'm home on leave in Bama, I go hunting with my brother-in-law at his club and if I kill something then I will always offer meat. But when I have put countless hours into scouting, setting stands, baiting, and general work into it then it is mine. I have offered many times for them to join me and their excuse is always the same that they don't have time. As highwayman said people always wants something for nothing.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 02:14:48 PM »
Quote from: highwayman
i pay lease fees...everyone wants meat.
You didn't say whether the guy that became indignant was the Lease Holder or not.  It has heretofore been assumed not.

If it was the Lease Holder, you better be nice or expect ALL of your effort to be the "property" of someone else next season. 

If other than the Lease Holder, tell the SOB to STFU.

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 05:02:49 PM »
if it was the lease holder i would have gave them a deer because it is the right thing to do. we help them when ever they need it. last year we even helped them with a sewer problem.they are super nice people that will even baby sit for you while you hunt. here is another one, this one guy was asking me about how many turkeys i seen so far. i was wondering where he was going with this so i played along. so after 10 mins. or so i told him i donot hunt turkeys he said'' well i can kill them for you''. i grinned and said ''sure right after we go hunting at your place''. well the excuses started about how he cannot carry anyone with him. too bad in my book i cannot go on your place you sure as h*** cannot go on mine.  i donot being the bad guy.

Offline qmastersgt

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 03:35:26 PM »
I kill more meat than I can eat. I like to share with family and friends. I usually give it to old people who have limited incomes. Making karma for my old age. We Catholics have to do good deeds to get to heaven. Protestants get to go without all that, good works and purgatory.

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 04:14:00 PM »
I shot two deer, I also picked up one road kill the other day and took it home and cleaned it and cut it up myself - as I did one of the other two deer that I had shot.

I spent $500 on a new scope and ammo and another $100 on a new set of insulated pants.
 I spent one whole day getting my treestand ready before hunting season and then only sat in it one day all year.

I spent $400 on getting the truck ready to go before hunting season and spent another $225 on gasoline the 12 days of hunting season this year.

I then took one of my deer to the Amish and had them process it. 
I had skinned it and washed it  before I took it to them and I also took them the hide.
They charge $15 for skinning and keep the hide - $7 = $22 saved. 

It cost $135 to have it done into Pepper Sticks and Bologna and Wieners and Kielbasa and Jerky.

That was 65 lbs of meat for $135!

I then made gift packages for all my relatives and gave one to my parents. 
Everybody got a taste of 1 - 2 lbs of everything.  Even my beautician got a package of pepper sticks.

So half of that is already gone and I didn't even eat any of it yet.

Then I bought 3 pork butts at $2.99 a lbs.  (5 lbs each), and cut them into cubes and bought 10 lbs. of pork trimmings and all the ingredients to make sausage - not one of them packages like you see in the stores - where they give you chemicals but real ingredients like Rosemary and Sage and Paprika and Italian seasoning and fennel seed and dried onions - another $40 there. De boneded 1 1/2 deer to make ground up meat for sausage.  Took two whole days from morning to night to make sausage and put it into casings and plastic zip lock bags and wrap in paper.

So I ended up with over $90 into 45 lbs of sausage. 
Again - half of that is already gone in the gift packs that I gave out to my friends and family.

So deer season this year cost me over $1100.00 and I only have about 60 lbs. of meat in the freezer.

I still have to get the 4 wheel drive checked in the truck because something was making noise when I drove it in low range.

One of the front axle seals is leaking synthetic - $12 a quart oil out of it, so it might be even more than that by the time all the bills are paid.

I had given away deer in years past to needy families and one of them isn't my friend anymore and the other one doesn't even wave hi to me since his dad died.  So even trying to help people - in the end what does it get you?  I never had anyone give me anything in my life.  No pork or beef steaks or deer meat and I am 43 years old.

It's nice to be able to ask a friend for steaks and chops and sausage and expect to get it. 
How many of those people actually appreciate it?  Not many!

I make sure to give something to the people that owns the land where I hunt. 
Even if it is a 50 mile one way trip to their house. 
If I can travel that far to hunt, I can travel that far to say thank you.

That is why I am welcome to hunt on so many places.  I never forget.

I also help out old people that hunted once - but can't get around anymore due to health reasons or a loss of their husband.  Old women that never hunted, but ate the meat when they were kids are my favorite people to give to.  Along with a cousin of mine that has a disabled child and another that is now living in a rest home - that uses a wheel chair.  I never begrudge any of them.

But as for my friends that are alcoholics and dope addicts, no way. 
They blow their money on good times and don't care if there is anything in the freezer and they deserve to starve to death.

Along with people that I worked with that would work in hunting season and then take off in the summer time to go golfing and on vacation with their families.
Why should I spend my hard earned money on hunting just to give it away to people that wouldn't even take a day off from work to go out and shoot their own.

Give to those that deserves it and forget about the rest.

I really like the idea of trading pound for pound pork and beef for deer meat. 
Even a chicken would be nice.

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 04:28:24 PM »
The local Share your Harvest program here - has butchers that cuts your meat up for $50 into hamburger and then gives it away.

It's bad enough that you have to spend all that money to hunt - let alone havingto pay someone $50 just to give it away to a bunch of relief'ers that don't appreciate it in the first place.

Offline qmastersgt

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 07:52:28 AM »
I know people who drink and drug, but they are not my friends.  If I know someone who doesn't wave or speak, they are not my friends. Just because I know the guy at work, doesn't mean he is my friend. I even have worthless relatives, they don't make the meat list.
The money I spend on hunting would make my meat too expensive for most people to eat. I hunt as a hobby. I do it for me. I don't hunt for horns or meat. I hunt for me. The meat and horn are a fringe benefit.
Old folks on a limited budget, who are my friends, are on my meat and fish list.
Through the years I rarely made anyone's meat and fish list. But that is them, this is me. I have different standards. I try to do what is right to me. If you don't, then you are doing what is right for you.

Offline alleyyooper

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 12:26:14 PM »
 ;D ;D

Had a fellow who really bugged me for free meat every year. One year we had a good year on the farm, I got a buck as did my dad and brother. I collected the (censored word) and mountain oysters from each of them, placed them in a bag then froze them.
Next day I had to work I took them in and gave the bag to him when everybody was around. He got mad after he looked and threw the bag in the trash. Some how all day they kept showing up at his work station (wasn’t me). He or anybody else has asked me for meat since. He is called six ball today too LOL.
I spent the time and money to go hunt. If I get some thing I share with who I want. I am not letting any whining desk jockey or couch potato try to shame me into giving them my hard earned meat.
Same for that Hungary program here in Michigan, I cut up my own meat. No way I’m paying some one to butcher a donated deer for some one else. My butchering is good enough for me and family then it is good for the hungery people too or do with out.

Al
Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.

http://oldgrumpy.fanspace.com

Offline dave50cal

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
    • Sutton Outfitters Fishing Supplies
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 04:05:52 AM »
I am glad I dont have to be this way with my venison. I have unlimited antlerless tags and quotas to fill on certain leases. I bought out 3 other guys on the lease just to be able to fill their quotas too. If we dont do it,then the retired poilics officers around here are "black taggers" and they shoot for farmers year round. If I fill the quotas,the meat goes to the guys at our club and they spend every sunday cutting and making jerkey,sausage,etc. Cpl guys are retired butchers and they have a new kind of meat for lunch every Sunday. They have apparently been doing this for decades and I have recently joined thier private club. I have shot alot of deer every year and anyone who wants it takes it as a whole deer. I have been managing a few a week off of 5 different properties. The lease holders and the few foreigners I know get a few a month too. Our season here is Sept-Feb. There is so many deer we see over 40+ in herds daily. Talk about crop damage?!!!! :o

Dave

Offline smokepolehall

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 09:40:15 AM »
40 deer a day! I haven't seen 40 deer all of this hunting season. It started sept. 22 and i have hunted 78 days and seen 38 deer.
Keep yer nose into the wind & slip from tree to tree in the shadows, you have come fer pilgrim! Miss Vixen & Miss Phoenix, I am The Vixenmaster!

Offline dave50cal

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
    • Sutton Outfitters Fishing Supplies
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 10:05:42 AM »
40 deer a day! I haven't seen 40 deer all of this hunting season. It started sept. 22 and i have hunted 78 days and seen 38 deer.

This isnt abnormal for this state... My relatives live 40 miles north of me and same if not worse there. My father only gun hunts and filled all his tags with 130"+ bucks in 3 days..Now thats lucky! I dont see alot of what I call a shooter,but enough. The ratio is way outta wack here,dozens of does to 1 buck. Hard to find big ones with that many does around. Different kinda hunting. If we dont shoot the quota amounts,we lose the propertys... crop damage is insane. Guys on public access propertys here always get deer....

Offline frogjake

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »
I have a good friend that hunts with me at my deer camp,  he drives all the way to Va. from NJ and he always complains about not getting enough time in the field and nowhere to hunt in NJ. ??? after reading your last post  I find it hard to believe that he can't find someplace closer to home to get back to nature and hunting.  I will always welcome him in camp but, I just don't understand that he doesn't hunt local  especially after reading your post.   Good job by the way.     

Offline qmastersgt

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 04:12:19 AM »
Gosh,
Wish I had your problems. I would faint if I saw that many deer at one time. I don"t see that many in a year, even counting the ones on the roads. We don't Have quotas, We have limits of one a day, three per year. No one pays attention to them. Some people kill everything they see. We have some clubs that really control what is shot.  They pay $100,000.00 a year to shoot one buck. Nutz! If I kill 3 a year I am happy.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 05:27:31 AM »
Wow...if the law reads two bucks per day (or one buck and one doe in season) is the bag limit and four deer is the possession limit, I follow the letter of the law.  PERIOD.  I have not limited out on any day but have met the possession limit (for myself) already this season.

I take my two boys, 12 and 16, with me to increase their hunting experience and knowledge.  The 12 y.o. hunts with me.  If they bag a deer, it "counts" toward their limit(s), under the law.  It has never happened for them - yet - but when it does, they will know, by my example, the RIGHT WAY, in accordance with the law, to enjoy the whole experience.  How else are they going to learn if not from me?  If left to their own devices, friends, Internet, etc., to "teach" them, then what?  The alternatives are not satisfactory.

I am able to continue to hunt only AFTER I have made the local Elementary School Custodian (my choice) the recipient of my good fortune.  She is supporting too many mouths to feed but I leave it up to her discretion whom she feeds.  I am supporting her and in turn she is supporting me by allowing me to continue to hunt, which is what I want to legally do.

Offline Maplicito

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 07:47:57 PM »
This was quite the topic to read... hopefully nobody minds me bumping an old thread.  I can't fathom how someone would think they're entitled to meat if they're not somehow doing something in return for you!  I've got relatives who hunt, and I get along with them quite well.  They'd probably even share some of their meat if I asked - but I've never felt like I've done enough for them to have a right to ask for what wasn't already offered!  Anyone I do ask for things like food, I'll only ask if I already share with them, and know they're comfortable asking me.

That's a big reason I'm excited to be ready to try hunting for myself - I want the meat, but I'm sure not going to ask for it, so I've got to go get my own!

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 03:39:10 AM »
Back when I was in the Air Force, stationed in South Dakota I worked with a lot of good people, but you still have the few who are too lazy to get out of their own way!

When hunting season would roll around, I'd head for the Black Hills every weekend in October for archery season and November for rifle season.
It never failed, come Monday morning, I'd have one of the "lazy" (and cheap) ones come up to me and ask if I got anything over the weekend and if I happened to get a deer that weekend, the next thing out of his mouth would be "if you have a few extra steaks, I'd like to have some"!
My next statement was always "I've never seen a deer with "extra steaks""!  Then I'd tell him that if he wants venison, that he needs to get off his lazy duff and go get a license and a rifle and go get his own!

Now, on the other hand, if a land owner that gave me permission to hunt his property wanted some, no problem!  Most likely, it would be offered before he had time to ask!

A lot of people just don't realize how much money is actually tied up into a deer, when you add it all up.
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 05:44:30 AM »
Be nice !
tell him to bring something good to trade !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 12:10:18 PM »
Be nice !
tell him to bring something good to trade !

My luck, if I did that, he'd turn me in for selling venison!

But I see your point. 

He'd have most likely gone the other direction if I'd have asked for something in return!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 01:28:37 PM »
The deer around my place are as thick as flies.  We hammered them this year, 20+ deer killed on about 600 acres, and just the other day we saw another 20 of them in the bean field all at once.  No shortage around here, and unlimited doe tags, so I've never had an argument about a pile of meat. Antlers on the other hand.......

Offline *ROCK-MAN*

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 01:55:02 PM »
I have a buddy at work who fishs more than I do and he doesn't hunt.We do a little trading every year when the flounder are running.Win-Win lol
Rock
Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your backtrail.

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 11:57:35 AM »
well i give the guy the last deer i shot. a young spike. i also found out another guy i work with gave him some meat. no big deal right. well, we started to pick on him about how he never offered us a pack of his sausage after he had it process. he made the mistake of telling us about how much it cost to make. well we started to tell him about ammo cost, new rifles, etc. you really had to be there to get the full effect on what we said but i had alot of fun with that conversation. ;D

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 04:40:08 AM »
I don't or won't hunt lease land ever.  I lived in South Carolina for a short time (2 1/2 years) and they wanted 150 per year for lease land hunting and you had to share your deer with others on the lease, plus you had to be sponsored on the land.  I grew up in northern Michigan so this leased land is all new to me.  I always share with friends and family, but not some strange hunters.  Well, I told the South Carolina land owner that I was going to fish instead in the state and hunt back home in Northern Michigan.

I process my own deer, because I don't want to be stuck with someone else meat that wasn't properly treated from when the animal hit the ground.  I have also heard some horror stories of you don't get back all your meat either.  I de-bone all my meat, I ask why freeze bone, cook bone just to eat off the bone and throw the bone away.  I throw it away first, plus cutting through bone marrow taints the meat, yuck.

yooper77