Author Topic: What caliber do I need?  (Read 6017 times)

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
What caliber do I need?
« on: December 17, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »
I don't have enough deer rifles.
All I have are
1st-  7mm-08 NEF
2nd- 30/30 Marlin 336
3rd-  223 NEF (really my varmint\predator gun but would work in a pinch.)

I am covered out to 200yd easy but I want something a little longer and flatter shooting.
Also I think it's time to get one of those fancy bolt actions.

P.S. I also have slugs on hand for my 20g.:)

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: What caliber do I need?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 11:14:38 AM »
I'm all for more rifles however the 7mm-08 is more than sufficient out to over 300 yds with either the 140 or 130 gr bullets.  The trajectory drop from these bullets compared to more powerful and faster rounds is minimal at this distance.  Most people cannot tell the range accurately enough to affect the differences in trajectory.  And before I get jumped on, yes at a measured range one can tell the differences between it and the mags; only with solid rests, good ammo, good rifle, good optics and better than me shooter.  I do practice at 400-500 yds with all my rifles that are sighted in at 200 yd zero.  I can tell you that it is extremely difficult for anyone to accurately determine 50 yds at this distance without reliable range finders or known object at a measured distance.  A 50 yd mistake at this range will effect the trajectory of the mags to more than the differences between the 7mm-08 and them.  I wouldn't hesitate to use the 7mm-08 on normal deer hunting anywhere in the US in complete satisfaction with the results and without the desire to want a little bit more.  I personally do not own one but would like to one day.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 11:32:45 AM »
I think having at least one magnum is a good idea. Not needed for deer but good for long range, maybe some day for hunting larger game, a 7mm in some magnum configuration, I have an Abolt in 7mmRemmag and like it. If I were going one an expensive guided hunt out of state hunting for trophy animals this would be my rifle of choice. I believe it does give you a slight edge over standard calibers in some situations.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 11:38:41 AM »
7mm-08 is a great round and that's why I have it.
But my 7mm-08 is short, light and can only shoot 2moa on it's best day.
It is perfect for carrying long distance and tree sitting but am not confident with it over 200yd.

I want something nicer, heavier and more accurate for sitting in the blind with a good rest and chair.
There will also be a range finder and a ballistic reticle on hand.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 11:40:12 AM »
I think having at least one magnum is a good idea. Not needed for deer but good for long range, maybe some day for hunting larger game, a 7mm in some magnum configuration, I have an Abolt in 7mmRemmag and like it. If I were going one an expensive guided hunt out of state hunting for trophy animals this would be my rifle of choice. I believe it does give you a slight edge over standard calibers in some situations.

Cheese

That might be nice.
I could try reloads with the same bullets as my 7mm-08.

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 11:56:28 AM »
Not complete until you have a 45-70.

Forget those magnums and smallbores. 

Step up to a real cartridge and learn what hunting is all about!

"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 12:56:57 PM »
what?  No 30.06 or .270 win?
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 01:55:46 PM »
I understand the need for something different, but I believe you could achieve near MOA with a 7-08 in a bolt gun and satisfy your desire for going beyond 200 yards.

However, every gun collection deserves/needs a .30-06.   ;)

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 02:10:19 PM »
  If you are truly a Handi Holic you definitly need a 22 hornet, 45-70 and for a long range rifle I'd say a 280 rem with the 26" barrel. The 280 out of a 26" tube will be real close to a 7mm RM in performance. WHen I guided out west in my youth the 280 was a favorite with the guides I worked with.

A true handi holic will never have enough "needs".  ;)
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 02:30:14 PM »
270,280,30-06 are the front runners in my head.
The 280 makes a lot of sense for me but I worry about resale value later.
A 270 or 7 mag is more popular.

45\70 is a neat old round but I would feel like I was cheating on my old 30-30.

Offline deltecs

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 04:51:01 PM »
270,280,30-06 are the front runners in my head.
The 280 makes a lot of sense for me but I worry about resale value later.
A 270 or 7 mag is more popular.

45\70 is a neat old round but I would feel like I was cheating on my old 30-30.

Resale value for a .280 Rem?  I don't know about you, but when I've looked at used .280 Rem prices in whatever rifle, I've found them to be not only more rare but costly.  I think this is because more and more riflemen are beginning to recognize the fine attributes of the .280 Rem as an excellent NA round.  Also, there were fewer rifles chambered for the .280 than the .270 or 06.  I would not be apprehensive about the resale value of a .280 Rem and think it would actually be more valuable. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Doesniper

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 05:57:46 PM »
.308, .375 H&H, .22-250, .17 fireball?

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 06:27:39 PM »
I like .308 and 338 WM for all hunting.  I own 2 308's one open sight and the other with a 3-9X50.  But you 7-08 is so close you would not be happy.
I agree with Cheese.  The 7mm Mag would be a great choice.  Depending on the bullet selection you can go from varmint to Elk.  Aslo 338 would not be a bad choice either.  Are you recoil sensitive?
I like the looks of the 160 grain Nosler Partition.  I found a good deal on a Ruger M77 for a friend of mine and started to read more about the 7mm mag.  Really good and versatile round.  Two other guys at the range also bought 7's about the same time one is a Browning A bolt with the boss.  WOW no recoil!  But loud. 
Remington imports an inexpensive mauser that is available in 7mm Mag 798 in either blue or SS.
Or the Remington 700 XCR.
I am starting to save my pennies for a Rem 700 XCR or a Browning Stalker with the trijicon 3-9X40 scope.  It will be a few years.  One of the Boone and Crockett or Mill dot scopes would also be helpful if your planning long shots in open fields.
The only thing I can tell you is if your going to go Elk hunting from horse back to stay with a scope in the 40/42mm or lower range.  Most of the rifle scabbards are not made for larger objectives and you really do not want to have the rifle slung across your back while riding.  If you do want a large objective like 50 or the new Leupold wrap around one to show up to elk camp with your own scabbard.

Offline 700xcr

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 06:58:44 PM »
I like .308 and 338 WM for all hunting.  I own 2 308's one open sight and the other with a 3-9X50.  But you 7-08 is so close you would not be happy.
I agree with Cheese.  The 7mm Mag would be a great choice.  Depending on the bullet selection you can go from varmint to Elk.  Aslo 338 would not be a bad choice either.  Are you recoil sensitive?
I like the looks of the 160 grain Nosler Partition.  I found a good deal on a Ruger M77 for a friend of mine and started to read more about the 7mm mag.  Really good and versatile round.  Two other guys at the range also bought 7's about the same time one is a Browning A bolt with the boss.  WOW no recoil!  But loud. 
Remington imports an inexpensive mauser that is available in 7mm Mag 798 in either blue or SS.
Or the Remington 700 XCR.
I am starting to save my pennies for a Rem 700 XCR or a Browning Stalker with the trijicon 3-9X40 scope.  It will be a few years.  One of the Boone and Crockett or Mill dot scopes would also be helpful if your planning long shots in open fields.
The only thing I can tell you is if your going to go Elk hunting from horse back to stay with a scope in the 40/42mm or lower range.  Most of the rifle scabbards are not made for larger objectives and you really do not want to have the rifle slung across your back while riding.  If you do want a large objective like 50 or the new Leupold wrap around one to show up to elk camp with your own scabbard.
I have the Remington 700xcr in 270wsm and I am really happy with it. I installed a Burris Euro-Diamond 2.5x10x44mm with the Ballistic Plex retical. Flat shooting rifle. You will be happy with it.
Nothing like a Remington model 700xcr

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 10:50:14 PM »
Well a nice .35 cal would do:-

.358 Winchester
.35 Wheelan
.358 Norma magnum
.358STA

There are others as well but bearing in mind your desire for a longer shooting cartridge I thought these would do nicely. Of course also in the same sort of area would be the 9.3x62 and 9.3x64.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 03:02:28 AM »
Partsman Id go with a 7mag. You can find them in gunshops ,pawnshops. You can find a used bolt gun fairly inexspensive. If you wanna stick with the handi? go with the 280.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 03:28:04 AM »
I have never hunted elk and may never get to so I think 30 cal would be plenty.
I love my Handis but I am ready for a bolt gun. Mostly for a full floated or bedded barrel.
I would also like a laminate or wood stock. No plastic.

There is still a part of me that wants a 257" or 6mm round.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 03:39:07 AM »
I think the 30-06 is what your looking for. I like the older rem 700. Should be easy to find. Find a gunshop that has layaway. Right now would be the time. Jay

Get you a 243 barrel for your handi
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline 45/70fan

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 03:45:03 AM »
I've had various calibers come and go over the years. My 7 Rem mag and 25-06 are here to stay  ;D

Offline daddyof4

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 04:03:54 AM »
Well I'll throw in the 6.5x55 and of course '06 comes to mind. Just keep in mind if you got your 7-08 shooting better that it is awesome on game. My dad and brother went to Texas hunting over 3 years...19 shots 17 deer from 50 to 250 yards. My dad hot one running and had to put a pair into it. He also bagged a 6x6 elk at 250 yards it weighed 750 lbs. If you just want a new deer rifle anything over say a 6mm rem should work...

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 04:33:39 AM »
All I have are
1st-  7mm-08 NEF
2nd- 30/30 Marlin 336

I am covered out to 200yd easy but I want something a little longer and flatter shooting.

Standard calibers...

25-06...270....280...30-06..these will work very nice...and don't worry about the resale value of the 280...most will bring a little more than standard calibers at the gun shops around here..

Stepping up into the magnums for me all would be 26" tubes...no less..

If I had to choose only one...to do both elk & deer..it would be the 338 Win Mag...if more deer than elk...then the 300 Win Mag..There are other cartridges out there than work as well...and offer a little more velocity...but these will cover all hunting on this continent with out question...at ranges further than you most likely will ever shoot...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 05:46:35 AM »
If your not going to go to an area where you will have a long shot and need the HP of a mag to get the bullet there.
30-06 or 308 are basically the same round in performance.
I know some of you are going to argue but if you reload you can get the speed out of the two cases with the same bullets.  the 06 has an advantage when you get into the heavier bullets 190 and above. Do not see you loading 220 round nose soft point lion loads for deer.
Since you reload.  165 grain spbt round will do everything for you.  Also since you reload you could use the same bullet for an 06 or .308 for your 30-30.  Just only load two rounds total in your rifle.  1 in chamber +1 in Mag so you do not have the recoil possibly set off the round in front of it under recoil.
I'm guessing you want to mount a scope on it.  So look at the Weaver 3-9X38 scopes.  They are crisp and clear.  Some say 100+% quality of the Leupold with 80% price tag.  You will be very happy
As far as a bolt rifle.  You said wood or laminate stock no plastic or composite.  So what are you thinking of as a make?  Better question is what do you want to spend?  I would look in the local shops in the used racks.  You may make a great find.  Most used rifles are just pre owned and not really used.  Ask the gun shop owner about the gun and who brought it in and why.
One of my local shops we have a guy that buys a new rifle mounts a scope on it, usually a Weaver, buys 200 -300 rounds of ammo and will shoot most of the ammo.  Break in the rifle like all the books tell you and then it's back in the shop in the used rack and he is on to another project.  The rifle is in the rack for about 95% of new price with a high end Weaver mounted to it and all sighted in.  I own three guns from him.
If your looking for new.
The new Ruger Hawkeye in .308 would be great.  Or even .338 Federal if you want a medium bore do do triple duty of deer, black bear, and other large game.  The standard M77 are also great.
Remington makes a number of the 700 models in wood from plain to fancy and the 798's have a laminate stock for the line.
Also look at the CZ 550.  They make a number of models that have laminate stocks as well as wood.
They do make a 6.5X55 Swede, but all of the 550 actions are long actions (30-06) size so you may want to look at a cartridge in that base.  The website is www.cz-usa.com 
What about a 7.62X39 in a short Carbine?  Look at the 527 rifles.
The cool thing about the CZ rifles are the single set trigger.  You push forward on the trigger with your thumb till it clicks and  you now have a set trigger.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 06:35:33 AM »

I know some of you are going to argue but if you reload you can get the speed out of the two cases with the same bullets.  the 06 has an advantage when you get into the heavier bullets 190 and above.

Not really an argument...but to get the most out of the 2...from 165 grains up the 06' will have the advantage...This is the way it has been out of any of my 308's or 30-06's...and for really long ranges...the 06 is still the better choice in the 308 cal hunting rifles...Even though  200fps may not mean a whole lot..it does when trying to get the absolute most out of a cartridge..1 primary factor in favor of the 06'...1 can always go to one of the improved versions of it as well...where as with the 308...you can't...Granted...getting factory ammo...there isn't a whole lot of difference between the 2...but...when it comes to reloading...there is a world of difference... IMHO..

One other option is to find a good used Remington action or buy a new one...and have it re barreled & get a new stock for it...All gun smithing can be done on it while it is being assembled...

Not as cheap as buying a good used bolt gun off the rack...but you can have an excellent rifle when done...for less than new if you shop around...

Mac

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 06:56:02 AM »
I'll have to agree with Mac on the 30-06.
Plus there is no chance of a mix up with my 7mm-08.

Mac you would bring up a custom rifle wouldn't you. Thanks a lot.:)
I had considered buying a Stevens 300wm and putting a target trigger and laminate stock.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 07:43:08 AM »
Dang it! The Stevens and Savages all have short barrels.
The CZ American, Ruger Sporter, and Weatherby Vanguard have all caught my attention.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 08:40:44 AM »

Partsman:

Look at it this way...go find a good but used Model 700 long action somewhere...or buy a new action from Brownells...Get a good laminate stock...and a  good 26" barrel...to start...Have it chambered & bedded...and the trigger tuned...When you want or need more speed..( you probably won't  :D :D ) go with a improved version of the 06'...your nipping at the heels with the 300 Win mag provided you put a good 26" tube on it to begin with... and it's a simple rechamber to get you there..and fireforming the brass is as simple as shooting factory ammo in it if chambered correctly...There isn't too much on this planet you can't take with it...and nothing on this continent hasn't fallen to it...If done right...it will become your go to rifle...even though the Handi's are foremost on your mind...If you want another persons opinion about it...PM nomosendaro and ask about his that Kirby Allen did for him...I think you will be impressed with what he tells ya.. ;) Hell...if your going to a bolt gun...might as well do it up right to begin with  any way... :D :D :D :D

Mac

Offline sabretip

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 10:31:39 AM »
7mm-08 is a great round and that's why I have it.
But my 7mm-08 is short, light and can only shoot 2moa on it's best day.
It is perfect for carrying long distance and tree sitting but am not confident with it over 200yd.

I want something nicer, heavier and more accurate for sitting in the blind with a good rest and chair.
There will also be a range finder and a ballistic reticle on hand.

I plan on building a 300 Win mag on a Rem 700 action with a 20 inch barrel,the scope is going to be a 1.5 to 4.5 for close up bear hunting come spring.
200 or 220 grain RN bullets will tried first.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 11:34:51 AM »

Partsman:

Look at it this way...go find a good but used Model 700 long action somewhere...or buy a new action from Brownells...Get a good laminate stock...and a  good 26" barrel...to start...Have it chambered & bedded...and the trigger tuned...When you want or need more speed..( you probably won't  :D :D ) go with a improved version of the 06'...your nipping at the heels with the 300 Win mag provided you put a good 26" tube on it to begin with... and it's a simple rechamber to get you there..and fireforming the brass is as simple as shooting factory ammo in it if chambered correctly...There isn't too much on this planet you can't take with it...and nothing on this continent hasn't fallen to it...If done right...it will become your go to rifle...even though the Handi's are foremost on your mind...If you want another persons opinion about it...PM nomosendaro and ask about his that Kirby Allen did for him...I think you will be impressed with what he tells ya.. ;) Hell...if your going to a bolt gun...might as well do it up right to begin with  any way... :D :D :D :D

Mac

That does sound like a heck of a rig Mac.
I wonder why everybody started putting the 06 on a 22" tube and then saying it has nothing on the 308.
A couple of companies do offer there varmint rifles in 300wsm and a 26' barrel.
Would perform similar just higher brass.

sabretip-No thanks on that 20" 300 mag. Might have more recoil and muzzle flash than I am accustomed to.:)

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 11:41:12 AM »
All I have are
1st-  7mm-08 NEF
2nd- 30/30 Marlin 336

need?  Need??

You NEED deer rifles in:
  • 25-06
  • 270 Winchester
  • 30-06
  • 338 Win Mag
  • 9.3x62 Mauser
  • and a 45-70
    Ray