Author Topic: 480 is back  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
480 is back
« on: December 17, 2007, 11:22:35 AM »
ruger annouced the return of the 480 in the srh and alaskan. 5 shot this time.
blue lives matter

Offline Ken ONeill

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 480 is back
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
After reading Steve Sanetti's interview in the Ruger Collector's Journal, and now this, I'm convinced that we probably will see a 5 shot .480 SBH one of these days, as the recent rumor has suggested.

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:35:33 PM »
Ruger brought out this dog thinking it would be a "better" alternative to the .475 Linebaugh, much the same as S&W thought the .40 S&W would be a "better" choice than the 10 MM. The difference is S&W was right, and Ruger was wrong. Sales of the .480 have been lackluster at best, pi$$ poor in fact. Many languish on dealers shelves, handled some, but purchased little. Several local dealers by me won't even carry them simply because they can tie up money in much faster moving, and more desirable inventory. This is somewhat of an oddball handgun caliber with not many really good bullet options compared to .44 or .45 caliber guns. Add it all up, and regardless of how much they, (Ruger) push it, it's doubtful this caliber will ever take off. Lack of ammunition companies producing ammo doesn't help either and shows how little confidence they have in the round as well.  Bill T.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 06:02:23 PM »
Spoken like a man who's never owned one.  :o

While I can't argue that it just never got popular I really don't understand it. You can push the same weight bullets from it within 100-150 fps of the .475 Linebaugh velocity and you really get little of nothing with that extra few fps. It's a nice versatile round capable of killing anything that walks. Who cares if there are not a huge number of bullets for it, those available cover the gamut quite well. I for one prefer it to the .454 Casull.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 10:48:43 PM »
Spoken like a man who's never owned one. Who cares if there are not a huge number of bullets for it, those available cover the gamut quite well. I for one prefer it to the .454 Casull.

More realistically, spoken like a man who doesn't need a solution to a non existent problem. I already have several handguns in .44, .45, a .454, a .45-70, and a .500. What missing nitch is going to be filled by a .480? And even if I were to want a handgun in that bore size for whatever reason, I'd go with a Magnum Research BFR in .475 Linebaugh and have the option to shoot the more powerful round for the same price of a .480 Ruger. The whole idea of the .480 was similar to the same reasoning behind the .450 Marlin. The .480 was designed to give shooters better performance than the .44 Magnum, for those who don't want the higher recoil of the .454. The .450 Marlin was designed to best the .45-70 for guys who want a big lever gun, but don't hand load. There isn't enough of either to make those rounds commercial success stories, which is exactly why both are floundering sales wise. We have reached a point where we have more calibers, (in both rifles and handguns), than we have shooters who need, or want them. Somethings got to give. This is why we have so many unsuccessful cartridges today from a sales standpoint. The market simply can't absorb all of them. A bit like a woman with a closet full of shoes. How many times is she going to wear each pair? And more importantly, it becomes even more difficult for her to justify buying more.  Bill T.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 11:54:24 PM »

Thanks for the info Lloyd, maybe this is just a start for the 5 shot big bores from Ruger. I would love to have a 5 shot Bisley from Ruger.
Thanks!
Slufoot

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:50:37 AM »
im hoping too!! As to all the naysayers in my opinion the 480 is a great round. I combines the heavy hitting capabiltys of the real big bores with less recoil. Like greaybeard said in a good gun it can be loaded right on the heals of a 475 and the 475 has handlity taken every game animal on earth. As to the bullet selection ill argue that too. I have probably as many 475 molds as 44 molds. Theres a vast selection of bullet molds and even a couple that are good bullets a guy can buy cheap. Anyone that doesnt cast can buy commercial cast. I dont know of any commercial caster that doesnt have a couple 475 bullets they sell. Brass is easy to obtain and is not overly priced like 500 linebaugh brass.  As to factory ammo if you even put your limit at a 44 mag for power and dont load your own and arent rich you will NEVER master your gun. Shooting two boxes of ammo a year sure isnt going to do it. Any avid handgunner needs to load his own!!! The 480 is a wonderful round. Id take it over a 454 anyday. It can be loaded down to levels any handgunner can handle and still take big game at those levels. Now i have to admitt i have owned exactly one of them and its stayed in my house for about a week. It was a bfr and thats another story. I dont care much for the srhs but put this in a standard redhawk or blackhawk and id be all over one. Im a big 44 mag fan and allways have been. Ive said it many times that if i had to (God forbid) go down to one gun it would be a 44 mag short barreled sa. But if ruger put this in a bisley for me id have to change my thoughts. I convinced enough of this that i have over 500 rounds of new brass thats been sitting in the reloading room for years and havent had a gun for it.  If  (when) ruger makes me a sa i will buy at least two of them.  IMO nobody that knows handguns and hunts with them would ever badmouth the 480. Theres probably not a better balanced handgun round made. I think ruger will find that when they finally give us a good single action that they will sell a boat load of them. Look at about any internet forum where the topic goes to what do you want ruger to make and its probably the most asked for gun. I think every AVID handgunner in the country will be standing in line for them. I know i will be!! I just hope all the guys that dont believe this stay stupid long enough for me to get a couple right away.

Thanks for the info Lloyd, maybe this is just a start for the 5 shot big bores from Ruger. I would love to have a 5 shot Bisley from Ruger.
Thanks!
Slufoot
blue lives matter

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 01:13:05 AM »

Thanks!
Slufoot

+1
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 01:44:40 AM »
Look at about any internet forum where the topic goes to what do you want ruger to make and its probably the most asked for gun.

There in lies the problem. Ruger would rather waste time making guns like this:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-22Charger.htm

Offline Dan Johnson

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 05:05:15 AM »
Ruger brought out this dog thinking it would be a "better" alternative to the .475 Linebaugh, much the same as S&W thought the .40 S&W would be a "better" choice than the 10 MM. The difference is S&W was right, and Ruger was wrong. Sales of the .480 have been lackluster at best, pi$$ poor in fact. Many languish on dealers shelves, handled some, but purchased little. Several local dealers by me won't even carry them simply because they can tie up money in much faster moving, and more desirable inventory. This is somewhat of an oddball handgun caliber with not many really good bullet options compared to .44 or .45 caliber guns. Add it all up, and regardless of how much they, (Ruger) push it, it's doubtful this caliber will ever take off. Lack of ammunition companies producing ammo doesn't help either and shows how little confidence they have in the round as well.  Bill T.

It is not that cartridge that is the problem, it is the gun Ruger chambered it in. Not that I don't love my SRH, but a lot of shooters don't share my affection for this odd looking revolver. If Ruger ever gets around to chambering the .480 in a single action I predict it will do well. As to .480 versus .475, the .475 has more power than is needed. Once you get a hard cast flat nose up to 1200fps or so it will do all one needs it to do. Few people truly need it any faster so why deal with the added recoil. The .480 is a well balanced, controllable round with an ideal power level in this bore size.

Dan J

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 05:16:34 AM »
It is not that cartridge that is the problem, it is the gun Ruger chambered it in. Not that I don't love my SRH, but a lot of shooters don't share my affection for this odd looking revolver.
Dan

I can somewhat agree. I own 2 Super Redhawks and like the added beef, but I can see where others wouldn't. If Ruger does in fact develop a 5 shot single action, it's because they are seeing how much of a share of the .500 S&W market they are missing, not so much to salvage the .480. .500 handguns are selling like hotcakes, and the trend seems to be continuing with S&W providing a ton of different models in barrel lengths from 2 1/2" to 12", and just about everything in between. The .480 will never enjoy that much success. It's simply good business for Ruger to capitalize on it. It's a better choice to sell guns in someone else's caliber, than not sell them in your own.  Bill T.

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 05:35:07 AM »
As to .480 versus .475, the .475 has more power than is needed. Few people truly need it any faster so why deal with the added recoil. The .480 is a well balanced, controllable round with an ideal power level in this bore size. Dan J

You are forgetting you're not dealing with peoples "needs". You are dealing with their wants. A .500 S&W is no more "needed" than a .460 Weatherby is, yet both sell well because they are wanted. Even Smith & Wesson never though they would sell as many .500's as they have. Sometimes practically doesn't translate well into sales. The .480 is an excellent example of that.  Bill T.

Offline COR

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 06:09:11 AM »
Bill T.
    I have to disagree with your basic assumptions.  If Ruger did in fact go to a 5 shot .500S&W they would also have to use a stretch frame, IN ADDITION TO the complete reworking of the lockwork which is required when going to a 5 shot cylinder.  MY assumption would be they would stick with the .480, .475 and .500 LB, IF they did anything at all (doubtful).  IMHO the S&W X Frame is a boat anchor as is the case with the Ruger SRH.  Give me the clean lines of a 5 shot SA anyday.  Just in case you were wondering the .500LB and the .510GNR will kill anything the .500S&W can (within true handgun ranges) and will look one helluva lot better on your hip.....Oh I'm sorry, You can't do anything but put a sling on your .500 PC.  I believe it is actually classified as a crew served weapon.  No  handgun hunter would need the extra velocity or recoil to cleanly put down large 500+ pound animals, the large calibers just don't kill with speed.  We all know there's no accounting for taste so take all this with a grain of salt.  BTW all your "selling like hotcakes" .500's are now back on the dealer shelves and most will include a partially fired box of ammo and a smaller price tag.

The .480 is a formidable round.  Ask Dustin Linebaugh, he'll tell you his personal .475 load is a 420 WFN at just over 1100fps...this is easily attainable in the .480. He killed a pretty nice Griz at 175yds with that load. Ruger has not gone in all the right directions for me as far as R&D and New products but they still make the best SA's around for under 500 bucks.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 07:30:52 AM »
I know we will never see a ruger in 500 smith. thats a given. I even doubt if youd ever see one in 475 or 500. to step up to that power level would take to much closer fitting. Something ruger isnt going to do. The 480 and 475 run simular pressures but the 475 will put more of a beating to a gun. Like COR said who cares!!! The 480 is capable of any hunting chore a hunter would need. Will i through out my 475s? Hell no! but theres allways room for another. Make mine 4 5/8s bisley!! preferably a vaquero but i wouldnt even complain if it had sights.
blue lives matter

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 08:45:22 AM »

"If Ruger did in fact go to a 5 shot .500S&W they would also have to use a stretch frame"

They're already doing it. Their Pine Tree Casting Division provides Magnum Research with all of their BFR frames.

"IMHO the S&W X Frame is a boat anchor as is the case with the Ruger SRH."

"In your opinion" are the key words in that sentence. They don't mean much because it's a fact large calibers require large guns. Did you expect them to put it in a N Frame? Both the SRH and the .500 Smith are selling beyond Rugers and S&W's dreams, so it would appear most others don't share in your opinion. I hear the the same crap everytime I show up at our range with a big bore. "Where's the gun crew?"  "Whaddaya need that thing for?" "Did that thing come with wheels?" How come every guy that doesn't own or shoot large caliber guns thinks he can write jokes for Leno?

" BTW all your "selling like hotcakes" .500's are now back on the dealer shelves and most will include a partially fired box of ammo and a smaller price tag"

Really? Where would all these guns be? I live in Phoenix, Arizona and per capita we have more gun shops and shows than anyone. I have yet to see a USED .500 S&W for sale anywhere. On the other hand I've had 2 co-workers buy them after having tried mine. This is simply more internet nonsense dreamed up by guys who don't like them in the first place. They said the same silly crap in 1972 about the .44 Magnum after "Dirty Harry" was released. Now they make them with a Scandium frame. Look, I have no axe to grind as far as the .480 is concerned. But it doesn't change the facts. It's not selling well. Major ammunition companies don't produce ammo for it, and because of it's slow sales they will be reluctant to do so in the future. And it doesn't fill any nitch that can't be better filled with another more popular, more avaliable caliber. That in itself doesn't make it "bad". Just less desireable.  Bill T.   

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 09:40:48 AM »
Good to see the 480 back...Now, to get it in to a Super Blackhawk Hunter and get blasting...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline COR

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 11:04:24 AM »
Here's the facts...I'll let y'all decide.

OR how about this .500LB....

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 11:42:51 AM »
I dont think anyones getting rich selling 500 smith ammo either and id about bet they sell even less 460. Id bet about half the ones sold in the US are on there first or second box of ammo. Granted none of the big bores are the mainstays of any ammo making company or gun manufacture either. As to whether were going to see it catch on and Ruger bring out more models I guess we will have to resurect this post this time next year and see. I know they dont have any trouble making runs of other handguns that are not big, ie. the accusport guns. They ill make runs of 1 or 2000 of them and i think that if ruger made a run of 480 single actions that was only 2000 guns a guy had best get in line fast!!! Sure someguys will say why, or that ruger is making a mistake as the  market place responds to big ass long barreled huge guns just like it does to big ass  diamonds. It goes over real well with the croud of handgunners that is more interested in what impresses everyone at the range then they are with what works in the field. I doubt if you show up to the range with a 480 if all the groupys will come gather round. After all it doesnt say magmun and isnt as big as a cigar but some luck very savoy handgunneres will end up with about the best combination of killing power and penetration and have it at a level that most even semi accomplished shooters can handle. Sad to say it but if ruger would have called it the 480 magnum it probabaly would have outsold the 454. I just hope they eventually make it in a package the size of the old blackhawks. If theyd make one a guy could actually carry in a belt holster theyd have the best all around big bore gun on the market.
blue lives matter

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 12:36:29 PM »
Good to see the 480 back...

Good point. If it was so great, and making Ruger so much money, and satisfying so many shooters, where did it go in the first place?????

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »
"I dont think anyones getting rich selling 500 smith ammo either and id about bet they sell even less 460. Id bet about half the ones sold in the US are on there first or second box of ammo."

Man, You really have an issue with reality, don't you? Have you even looked at the manufactures of .500 Ammunition?

1.) Winchester
2.) Ultramax
3.) Cor-Bon
4.) Buffalo Bore
5.) Garrett
6.) Magtech
7.) Hornady
8.) Hunting Shack
9.) And about a half dozen speciality ammo houses.

Do you think they are all producing it because the guys who own .500's shoot 1 box a year? Get a grip. Magnum Research and Taurus have joined S&W in producing guns chambered for the .500 Mag. Do you think it's because they want to lose money? Who else produces the .480? Even Ruger is thinking along the lines of dumping it.

"It goes over real well with the croud of handgunners that is more interested in what impresses everyone at the range then they are with what works in the field."

You base this on what? You think big bore shooters are "showoffs"? I shoot on weekday mornings, and have our whole club range to myself or at best a couple of other guys. If I wanted to show off I would shoot on weekends at a public range. I suppose .50 Browning shooters also fall into this category of yours as well.

" I think that if ruger made a run of 480 single actions that was only 2000 guns a guy had best get in line fast."

Ruger is a mass production firearms company. They are not going to waste time screwing around with small "special runs" of guns in a caliber that flopped on it's first time around. They are in business to make money, not get financially burned twice.

" I doubt if you show up to the range with a 480 if all the groupys will come gather round."

Your right there. Hard for people to "show up" that don't exist in enough numbers to keep the thing on the market.

"Sad to say it but if ruger would have called it the 480 magnum it probabaly would have outsold the 454."

Doubtful. Pamela Anderson couldn't sell it in a leather mini and 6" pumps. Look, you basicly have a ballistically good cartridge in the .480. Had it come along in the mid 70's when handgunners didn't have much in the way of high performance cartridges to choose from like they do today, and it most likely would have caught on. But the .480 Ruger is a dollar short, and a minute late. Much like this "new" .375 Ruger rifle. Watch how fast that flops. And to frost the cake and light the candles, they introduce yet another Short Fat Mag. When the Remington SAUM's have already bombed, with the Winchester WSSM's chasing them into obscurity. Their timing is worse than the guy who farted in the elevator! I like Ruger handguns and own several. They build a stout, accurate, competitively priced firearm. They just suck at trying to be cartridge "creators". Leave that to the firearm manufacturers who can judge market perspective better than an ex Yugo sales team. In the meantime, bashing successful big bore calibers that in fact are selling isn't going to bring more hope to your dying, beloved .480. Enjoy it and buy guns for it while you can. And to be safe, I would stock up on a ton of brass as well. Assuming you can find it in any quantity, if at all.  Bill T.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 03:36:03 PM »
sorry pal ill stick by my statements. You will see it succede. Like i said talk to me in a year and if you have a 500 smith with more then a couple hundred rounds through it your the exception not the rule. I had to chuckle at your statement about me thinking big bore shooters are all showoffs. I would have to guess that i put more 400 plus grain handgun bullets down range in a month then anyone else here does in a year. My newest 500 linebaugh of the 4 ive owned (still own two) is about a year and a half old and has had just under 10000 rounds through it and its got a hell of a long way to go to catch the one thats 5 years old. Now that isnt even figureing in the 475s and 480s i shoot. As to ruger not making limited run guns last i looked they do some every year and more then one of them. As to your ammo manufactures you left one out. Grizzly Cartidge company. It owned by a freind of mine and last i saw he wasnt driving a porche. As to ruger having problems designing new cartidges you best looke at winchester and remington and even federal too as none of the new rounds that have came out in the last 10 years are flying off the shelf. But you know what if companys didnt test the waters we wouldnt even have the 44 and 41 mags today. Ive got nothing against smiths i own more then a dozen of them. I dont even dislike the 500 smith (i do detest the 460 though) as a matter of fact i wouldnt mind a 4 inch non ported one myself but no matter what you tell me ive handled and shot enough of them to know that even the 4 inch gun doesnt really make a good holster gun (belt holster). The larger ones are a joke and id just as soon carry a rifle if i have to tote that much weight in the field. Sorry but its just my opinion and if you dont agree SO WHAT! You can now come back and amaze me with all of your experience in the handgun field without fear as im done here.
blue lives matter

Offline David Carey

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 06:31:53 PM »
From the Ruger website

Caliber: .480 Ruger
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Finish: Target Grey
Grip: Rubber w/ Black Laminate Insert
Barrel Length: 7 1/2"
Groove: 5
Twist: 1:18 3/4" RH
Overall Length: 13"
Weight: 54 oz
California Approved: No
Massachusetts Approved: No
Front Sight(s): Ramp
Rear Sight(s): Adjustable
Other Features: Transfer Bar Operating Mechanism with Cylinder Interlock
Suggested Retail Price: $ 899.00
Miscellaneous: 
NRA Life Member

Offline Dusty Miller

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 08:59:18 PM »
Lloyd, if I shot as many big bore rounds as you do my arm would've been amputated a LONG time ago!!
When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 12:23:36 AM »
I shouldnt tell lies. Its probably been three months since ive last shot a big bore or even done much of any shooting. Hopefully they will get this back straightened up so i can get back at it. Im not immune to damage from it either. Ive had corpal tunnel operations on both hands and my middle knuckle on my shooting hand operated on twice.(though i blame that on those dammed dragoon supers). The days of 500 rounds of full power 500 and 475s in a sitting are about over for me. The old body just cant indure it any more. But a hundred full power followed by a bunch of lighter loads still makes for a fun couple hours. Alot of people are afraid of these guns and go into it with alot of preconceived ideas about how its going to hurt them. Theres no majic trick to mastering them. ITS CALLED SHOOTING! Not a few hundred rounds but thousands. Thats why i shake my head at anyone that owns one that doesnt handload. YOu have to be a rich sob to master a 500 using factory ammo. I personaly dont even see how a guy could do it if they didnt cast there own bullets. If you even have to buy bullets it would be nothing to go through a 100 bucks in a day at the range. If you can take one and feed it factory ammo, shoot a box to sight it in and couple more to practice with and master a gun like that good enough to take it hunting and actually make 100 percent hits at any range under feild conditions your a better man then me. As a matter of fact if you can i wish youd come give me some lessons. Or at least let me in on your brain washing technique. I personaly dont think its possible for a guy with an average income to even master a 44 mag without handload. thats the main reason im kind of down on guys who buy 500 smiths and even 454s. To many of them just dont shoot them. I think the average owner of a 500 linebaugh or 475 linebaugh is just a more avid shooter. I dont know even one that doesnt handload and very few that dont cast. I think the price of addmittion weeds out all the wannabes. You have to be a dedicated handgunner to plunk down almost 3 grand for a gun and shoot the snot out of it and a pretty big percentage of the guys that own them own more then one. now im really done on this post ;D
blue lives matter

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 01:21:21 AM »

"Thats why i shake my head at anyone that owns one that doesnt handload. Thats the main reason im kind of down on guys who buy 500 smiths and even 454s. To many of them just dont shoot them."

Awww, Come on Lloyd, don't get "down on me". A guy doesn't have to spend 3 grand on a pistol to like shooting it a lot. On a Trap gun, maybe. ;D  I almost forgot. I just checked Davidson's website. They are the largest Ruger distributor in the country. They don't even list the Ruger .480 anywhere. It looks like waiting a year for it to "succeed" won't be necessary. They've already had the funeral and played Taps.  :-[   Bill T.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 02:44:57 AM »
the 480, 454, 475, and 500 LB i can see a use for.  the 460 and 500 smith are gimmicks to me, plain and simple.  why?  cause the first four can be chambered in a handgun.   a PACKABLE handgun for those of you who just pee-ed your pants.  if it aint packable,  it aint a handgun to me. 

you might not agree with lloyd,  but you cant discount his experience with big bores.  i am sure he has forgotten more than most will ever know. 

me?  i'm a 44 man.  i went big once upon a time,  but then i wised up.  i get lots more shooting in with my 44's for the money, and i am better with them.   to be truthful,  even the smith 629 with a 6 inch pipe is a little unpackable.  a ruger sbh in 44 with a 4 5/8 inch barrel is about perfect. or should i say a f.a. in a 4 and a half inch barrel is perfect,  but the ruger will do for now.  if only i could get them to stay together, lol. 

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2007, 02:58:09 AM »
Bill ill have to take back some of what i was thinking about you. Not a bad setup. Now you just need a casting pot! As to why there not listed on davidsons it could be that they just did the press release of them comming back about 3 days ago. Might take a week or so to have them listed. Myronman you read enough of my post to know that i totaly agree with you. Hands down best sixguns in the world have one thing in common. Somewhere on them it says 44 mag!!! Bill my trap gun says harington and richards on it and cost about a 100 bucks. Never did figure out how to cook those round pigeons. Nice thing is when i shoot trap i shoot perfect scores. Even the ones i miss die when they hit the ground. I must just scrare the hell out of them.

"Thats why i shake my head at anyone that owns one that doesnt handload. Thats the main reason im kind of down on guys who buy 500 smiths and even 454s. To many of them just dont shoot them."

Awww, Come on Lloyd, don't get "down on me". A guy doesn't have to spend 3 grand on a pistol to like shooting it a lot. On a Trap gun, maybe. ;D  I almost forgot. I just checked Davidson's website. They are the largest Ruger distributor in the country. They don't even list the Ruger .480 anywhere. It looks like waiting a year for it to "succeed" won't be necessary. They've already had the funeral and played Taps.  :-[   Bill T.
blue lives matter

Offline Bill T

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 03:52:48 AM »
"Bill i have to take back some of what i was thinking about you. Not a bad setup. Now you just need a casting pot!"

I've got 2. Lyman on the top shelf, and a 20 pound Lee on the bottom shelf. (I keep it in the box). You could very well be right about Davidsons. They do sell a ton of Rugers. When I had my FFL, (pre Oklahoma City), I took the trip up there to Prescott a lot. They're just down the road from Rugers plant. One of the salesmen I used to deal with back then told me at times they would just send someone on foot to pick up a given gun if they didn't have it in stock, and Ruger did. I still buy from them every chance I get. You can't beat the lifetime replacement warranty. I used it with great success on a Ruger Mark II NRA / Bill Ruger Commerative Pistol about 6 months ago. I bought the gun from my local dealer here in Phoenix thru Davidsons. I took it to the range a couple days later and on or around round 80 it broke! The trigger wouldn't reset. I called my dealer and he told me to bring it in with all the paperwork right away. When I got there he had already called Davidsons and they said they were shipping a new one out right away. The next day I had a new gun in my hand! You can't get that anywhere else. Most all gun shops have a sign that reads, "All Firearm Sales Are Final". Not Davidsons. They stand by their word. I highly recommend them, especially with Rugers.  Bill T.

This is the Ruger.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 09:49:12 AM »
Never did figure out how to cook those round pigeons
i can answer that one.... use lots of tabasco.  lol. 

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 10:41:01 AM »
I'm getting in here late, but I still feel there is no real problem selling the .480 Ruger.  The problem is the gun they put it in.  The SRH is one butt-ugly gun and I'd never own one no matter what cartridge they chambered it for.  Now if they would put it in the Redhawk I would be interested in it.  That would probably have to be a 5 shooter, but that would be great.  Or better yet, a 5 shot Bisley.  But if the only gun the .480 is available in from Ruger is the SRH, they can keep it!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!