Author Topic: "Project 20 GA. Slug Gun"  (Read 3904 times)

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
"Project 20 GA. Slug Gun"
« on: December 17, 2007, 06:15:49 PM »
Well, here is the little slug gun project Spec. and pictures as it is now!

1) 20 ga. with the barrel cut to 19" (Need to get the barrel  muzzle squared)

2) It has a older pallet wood youth stock (The older ones that were painted black, this is its second stripping)

3) The things I plan on doing to it.

a) A barrel band for the front sling swivel, it can be dangerous to shoot rifle slugs with your hand on the forearm and that swivel stud, find that out in the spring when pattering turkey loads out of my other Shorty.

b) Strip and refinish the stock with checkering. Need to practice on it,so I don't mess up the wifes sidekick forearm. The stock willbe refinished with an oil finish

c) I'll have my gunsmith drill and tap it for scope mounting, it will have a 2 or 2.5 power shotgun scope.

d) I'm thinking of inletting a brass deer in the rear stock also.

e) Reworking the recoil pad so it mounts faster and doesn't catch on clothing.

I think I will have a nice little treestand slug gun that hopeful will shoot to about 75 yards!

What do Ya'll  think?

Froghunter

"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: "Project 20 GA. Slug Gun"
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 01:00:55 AM »
that is a sweet looking little shorty, be sure to post more pictures as you work on it....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 05:21:44 AM »
    Great project! I do like the smooth bore slug guns. The gunsmith crowned the muzzle on my 410 after it was bobbed by two inches, I think it really helped with overall accuracy. Should have you a dandy little slug shooter there. Good luck with it! scout4<><

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 11:02:45 AM »
SWEEET!  I like it
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline jrkrk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 06:28:21 PM »
Looks good keep us posted!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 10:58:56 AM »
[img width= height= alt=image hosting by https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/]https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/spanky9773/picture035_1.jpg[/img]

This is my 20 gauge slug shooter.
It's a standard Pardner that I had drilled and tapped for a 4x Bushnell.
I left the barrel full length and it will put 3 Remington Sluggers into the size of a baseball at 50 yds.
I need to take a new picture though, it's wearing a set of cinammon lams now instead of these pallet wood stocks.

Spanky

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 01:54:02 AM »
Froghunter,

How is the project coming along??
How about an update.

Spanky

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 11:03:33 AM »
I'm sorry guys!

I'm in Delaware for the holidays. The project will start after the New Year, when I return to MO. The Slug gun is sitting in the corner of the shop. I will report when i get back.

V/r

Froghunter

Froghunter

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 11:25:42 AM »
Hey, what SORRY!!  You're spendin' Christmas with family.  It just don't get any better than that.  But, in your line of work, I guess you already know that. ;D

Merry Christmas and safe travels for the holidays, Bill

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 03:32:08 PM »
Very nice Spanky!

I would like to do the same with my Pardner. I bought a 20 gauge slug barrel for it.

Do I need to have a Monte Carlo stock? I like the pistol grip stock that came with my Pardner. Also, is it possible to mount the scope higher so I could have a peep sight as a backup?

I heard that if you take the barrel off, you have to rezero the scope. Is this true? Why that could get expensive given the price of sabots.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 03:56:39 PM »
Very nice Spanky!

I would like to do the same with my Pardner. I bought a 20 gauge slug barrel for it.

Do I need to have a Monte Carlo stock? I like the pistol grip stock that came with my Pardner. Also, is it possible to mount the scope higher so I could have a peep sight as a backup?

I heard that if you take the barrel off, you have to rezero the scope. Is this true? Why that could get expensive given the price of sabots.

No you don't need the monte carlo stock.
I have a couple Handi's with the low comb stock and a scope.

I'm sure you could use some see through rings and still be able to use your sights.
You might want a monte carlo stock though with the scope that high.

I have swapped barrels back and forth before and I don't have a problem with holding zero.

I have changed this gun since the picture.
I lathe cut it down to 20" and put a set of low comb palletwood lams on it.
It shoots even better than it did before after cutting it down.

I really like the 20 gauge for an all around game getter.

Spanky

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 10:29:45 PM »
 Ok Froghunter, the holiday is over ;), we are picture hores. Let us see how it came out. Nice job spanky.

Lonny

Offline kernman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 01:32:43 AM »
froghunter,

I hit your picture link but nothing came up.

Is a 2 power scope relatively fast on target? I use 3x setting on my 30 30 marlin, but's its rather slow getting on target.

I'm just wondering if maybe a fixed scope (2x) 20 gauge pardner/tracker may be the ultimate brush gun?

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 02:16:42 AM »
 I have a Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32 on my USH 20. I liked it so much I bought 3 more. Targets quick and takes the shock on my other guns. I think the only think that would make it a bit quicker is if it had bigger objective.

Lonny

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 02:46:10 PM »
Gang,

With the snow came cabin fever, So I restarted on the slug gun. I have the barrel crown completed and feel for a first timer didn't do to bad of a job. It is cut at 19" and hopefully will shoot were it is aimed, if not I have about 3/4" to work with.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,197865.0.html

The barrel is sanded and in the white, may leave it to rust alittle and add linseed oil. The other option is to paint it a camo color, but I have not had much luck with spray paint sticking to metal gun parts. My hands sweat and off comes the paint. The same thing happens to the pretty case hardened recieves! :( I have done the mod so the shell dosen't eject, I don't need the shell ejecting and making noise for reloading and scaring the monster away after I have missed him with the first shot! :P The below picture has the barrel, scope, and rail. I need to drill, tap, and put the rail on. I need suggestion on a good quality scope rings for a fair price. The scope is a BSA 4X32 AO scope and I think it will work for me.

Sorry its taking me awhile to update, but I'm back on it!

Froghunter

Froghunter

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »
cool keep at it a 20 smooth bore is a great deer gun for any thing 75 yards and under . when you try slugs check out the Remington sluggers , they seem to be good exp for the price . i

i have not used a slug gun in some time , but i do still have my old home cut 'n crowned 12 and it shoots great at 75 yards . it actually out shoots my step dad's rifled 12 gauge  . i have been muzzle loader deer hunting for the last 5 years or so but i may just get my old smoothie out for when it's rainy/dont feel like cleaning a muzzle loader :) .

edit and for a paint finish that will not come off try a can of spray on truck bed liner . if you do it lightly it looks like a dark pakerized finish with a bit of texture that will not be harmed by cleaning solvents , sweat wont even faze it .

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 05:29:36 PM »
I understand a product called "Duracoat" works well as well. It may have to be baked on after application. Guys who are into AR's and paint thier rifles (why?!!!?) speak of it as very durable....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 05:40:51 PM »

Brownells sells a product that is sprayed on that doesn't require baking, but I can't remember what it's called right now.

I went looking for 20 ga slugs today and all I could find were the sabot slugs. I couldn't find anything without the sabots. I've heard that the sabot slugs aren't much good in a smooth bore so I didn't get any.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 06:04:05 PM »
as much as I look I cannot find Buckhammers on sale. They are said to shoot well from both rifled and smoothbores alike....<><....:)

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 03:58:05 AM »
Guys,

Got alittle scratch from cleaning some snow from drives and sidewalks in the area. So, I got some slugs to test in the 20 ga. slug gun project when it is complete. The blue box on the right is a 1/2 oz. slug listed at 1800 fps. I can't find trajectory data on them, may have to email Federal. The Remington Sluggers are 5/8 oz. and have been in production for awhile. The Winchesters are 3/4 oz. as are the Federal Truball and a older Classic box. All except the Federal Classic were purchased a the loacal Walmart super store!
I will be ready for testing when the gun is complete.

Froghunter

Froghunter

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 06:50:17 AM »

I've been to two area super centers and there wasn't a 20 ga slug in the house. there were all kinds 12 ga stuff but nothing for me. And to think, a friend of my son'd is wanting to make a 16 ga his go to gun. I'll bet he'll really have fun finding slugs for that thing.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 11:00:33 AM »
you are definately on the right track.The Simmons pro diamond is a hell of a shotgun scope.Very quick target aquizition,good field of view and clarity,and handles heavy recoil without any problems at all.I have one on my 45-70 and I shoot some hellacious loads out of it and have never lost zero.
     My 20 ga slug gun is a tracker 1, and so far I have not needed to scope it.I hope to someday find a good deal on another 20ga and make a real shorty slug gun. As far as the shortage of 20ga slugs, Try dicks    or Wally world they always seem to have plenty.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"